2004-06-25 - Richards on Richards - Vancouver, BC

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-06-25 - Richards on Richards - Vancouver, BC

Post by mrlayance »

Please Submit Your Review.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Setlist:
Main:
1. Vaccination Scar
2. Summer's Killing Us
3. Poets
4. Joe
5. Fireworks
6. Everywhere
7. Good Life
8. Heaven is a Better Place Today
9. Courage
10. Nashville
11. Makeshift
12. Meridian
13. Meanstreak
14. Heart
15. Nautical
16. Gus
17. Music @ Work

Encore #1:
18. Grace
19. If New Orleans is Beat
20. New Orleans is Sinking

Encore #2
21. One Night in Copenhagen
22. ABAC
23. Fully

All in all a fantastic night. New stuff was awesome!

Highlights: Got to meet Mark, Matt and Tony (hey guys, hope the flight/drive home was good!), Got front row left side, Gord said 'hey' to me after Poets - we had a little reparte, managed to snag a setlist (Thanks Tony). Poets, ABAC, Grace, Courage, Music, Nautical, Fully and Meridian all had the place rockin' and of the new stuff Summer, Everywhere, Makeshift, Nashville and Copenhagen all really got me psyched for Tuesday!

Lowlights: some guy calling Tony and I 'real f***in' hip fans' cause we wouldn't let him into the front row at the start of the encores - buddy, all I got to say is I waited 20 shows to be this close, showed up in line at around 2pm and waited for hours in line...i deserved to be there, but you'll get your chance i'm sure but it definately was not tonight - tonight was all mine. Same said buddy got pissed near the end of the second encore cause Gord wouldn't sign his CMG book, which the guy was waving around frantically, during the show! So the 'fan', if you can call hiim that, tried to take the effects box attached to Gord's guitar - needless to say roadies/security were not impressed - I seriously thought Billy Ray was going shove his MagLite down the guy's throat. It truly was the most gutless, juvenile and all round stupid thing I have ever seen - not just at a Hip show but ever! The gall this guy had!

A different guy also tried to take Gord's setlist before the show was done (the one that has all Gord's cord changes on it) and Billy Ray got pissed at him too and when the setlist finally got thrown into the crowd at the end of the show, all I got was a punch in the face by the same guy who tried to take it the first time - hope it was worth it man.

Also my new digital camera copped out about halfway through the show and boy am I gonna give Canon some hell!

However, don't let the lowlights fool any of you, this show was incredible top to bottom and only got better as it went along. Good people around me, good songs to listen too, a small club and my favourite band playing - it doesn't get any better. People in Ontario/Toronto you got some good stuff coming your way! Again, Mark, Matt and Tony - good to meet you all, way to hold the front line and I hope to see you guys again at the next Hip show!
All for now,
Aaron
BTW did anyone who was at the show notice an inordinate number of pregnant women? There were at least 4 or 5, kind of crazy but I guess it's part of that immersion into music while babies are still in utero kind of thing...cool but weird. Ok, gots to go to bed, g'night!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Great review Aaron!

My wife and I were just behind you in line, I was the guy with the purple hip jersey. You guys got there really early, nice dedication!

We got a great view and seat from up top along the rail. The sound and the songs were great! Best version of At The Hundreth Meridian I have heard!
We also meet some other hard core Hip fans Andrew and his wife Andrea. I also talked to Matt who recorded the show, hope it turns out great. Enjoy the DVD!

A big hi to the Woman that sat beside my wife, she came to the show with her son who had lost his wallet and could not buy the tickets himself. The owner of the credit card had to be there to collect the tickets bought through the hip club. Great Mom!

This show reminded me when I saw the 15 years ago at 86street when they were on tour of Up to Here!

I handed out a few DVD's of the show from the QE and left one for the band.

I got a few good pictures and will post them soon.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

anesthesiologist wrote:Setlist:
Main:
1. Vaccination Scar
2. Summer's Killing Us
3. Poets
4. Joe
5. Fireworks
6. Everywhere
7. Good Life
8. Heaven is a Better Place Today
9. Courage
10. Nashville
11. Makeshift
12. Meridian
13. Meanstreak
14. Heart
15. Nautical
16. Gus
17. Music @ Work

Encore #1:
18. Grace
19. If New Orleans is Beat
20. New Orleans is Sinking

Encore #2
21. One Night in Copenhagen
22. ABAC
23. Fully

All in all a fantastic night. New stuff was awesome!

Highlights: Got to meet Mark, Matt and Tony (hey guys, hope the flight/drive home was good!), Got front row left side, Gord said 'hey' to me after Poets - we had a little reparte, managed to snag a setlist (Thanks Tony). Poets, ABAC, Grace, Courage, Music, Nautical, Fully and Meridian all had the place rockin' and of the new stuff Summer, Everywhere, Makeshift, Nashville and Copenhagen all really got me psyched for Tuesday!

Lowlights: some guy calling Tony and I 'real f***in' hip fans' cause we wouldn't let him into the front row at the start of the encores - buddy, all I got to say is I waited 20 shows to be this close, showed up in line at around 2pm and waited for hours in line...i deserved to be there, but you'll get your chance i'm sure but it definately was not tonight - tonight was all mine. Same said buddy got pissed near the end of the second encore cause Gord wouldn't sign his CMG book, which the guy was waving around frantically, during the show! So the 'fan', if you can call hiim that, tried to take the effects box attached to Gord's guitar - needless to say roadies/security were not impressed - I seriously thought Billy Ray was going shove his MagLite down the guy's throat. It truly was the most gutless, juvenile and all round stupid thing I have ever seen - not just at a Hip show but ever! The gall this guy had!

A different guy also tried to take Gord's setlist before the show was done (the one that has all Gord's cord changes on it) and Billy Ray got pissed at him too and when the setlist finally got thrown into the crowd at the end of the show, all I got was a punch in the face by the same guy who tried to take it the first time - hope it was worth it man.

Also my new digital camera copped out about halfway through the show and boy am I gonna give Canon some hell!

However, don't let the lowlights fool any of you, this show was incredible top to bottom and only got better as it went along. Good people around me, good songs to listen too, a small club and my favourite band playing - it doesn't get any better. People in Ontario/Toronto you got some good stuff coming your way! Again, Mark, Matt and Tony - good to meet you all, way to hold the front line and I hope to see you guys again at the next Hip show!
All for now,
Aaron
BTW did anyone who was at the show notice an inordinate number of pregnant women? There were at least 4 or 5, kind of crazy but I guess it's part of that immersion into music while babies are still in utero kind of thing...cool but weird. Ok, gots to go to bed, g'night!
Good work. Great review. Can't wait for the boot.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

biga wrote:Great review Aaron!

I handed out a few DVD's of the show from the QE and left one for the band.

I got a few good pictures and will post them soon.
What is the QE ?
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

QE = Queen Elizabeth Theater
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

ok, here are the good pictures from the bunch. Digital Camera's are not that great for low light. Some turned out pretty good!

http://home.onegeeksopinion.com/gallery ... n-Richards

Please take care, it is running heavy right now.
Last edited by bigA on Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

thanks for sharing your pics
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Wow.

What a show, what a show. My ears are still killing me, and I love it. There could not possibly have been a better way for me to see the Hip for the first time. Front row, right in front of Bobby, just to the left of Gord. I had been waiting soooo long for such a moment to come along, and man did it hit hard.

I also managed to snag a set list, its going up on the wall. As for the setlist, no real surprises, no rarities (when i heard they played Looking for a Place to Happen in Calgary, I got excited), but man did they put on a show. Grace, Fully and 100th Meridian shone above all else for me, Gus and Vaccination Scar were the best of the new material I think. 100th meridian was incredible, Gord went completely ape shit on that one!

I also saw that dude who tried to grab Gord's pedal, what the hell was up with that!? Aaron, he punched you in the face? Man, im so sorry...some people, eh?

Awesome pics Biga, thanks alot. Not only do I get to see the band, but also admire the back of my head!

But yeah, a night to remember for a very long time. The whole night went very smoothly to my surprise, what with all the stipulations and such prior to getting in.

Wow.

(in case anyone is wondering, i was the dude with long hair and big red beard front row, right infront of bobby.)
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

what song does bobby play the slide guitar on?
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Isn't it Vaccination Scar??
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

Yup.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

biga - pics look great! and as viciousmartyr pointed out, the backs of my gf and i's heads definately look good. Thanks for posting the link. I'll get mine up soon (the ones i was able to take). Yea i ditched work to get there early, Hip shows out here are so few and far between (compared to Ontario where we moved from) that you've got to get as much out of it as you can. Ontario has like 5 or 6 shows coming up, that's crazy!

viciousmartyr - i didn't get punched by the guy trying to steal the pedal (although I cleared out when Billy Ray went after him), i got schmacked by a different guy (to my left) who tried to steal Gord's setlist before the boys were done playing and when Billy threw it to the audience at the end of the show, buddy grabbed for it and got more of my face than the setlist. Joke's on him though it only had up to Nautical on it, so it wasn't complete. I'm ok though, thanks.

Thanks to all those with kind words for my review (first time i've been first person to review a show - there's some expectation there - glad to know i carried the torch well)

Another highlight i forgot to mention last night was that some people came up to me and my gf afterwards and said they had a good time just watching us rock out in the front row and they really liked it that we were getting into the show - i'd do that anyways but that was the first time some said i contributed that much to the atmosphere! I accepted the compliment on behalf of everyone in the front row.

Also if anyone was looking I was the tall, lanky guy with the dark brown hair and bottom half of a goatee - which is getting pretty long, my gf was the only one in the front row quite a bit shorter than i am but with spiky hair at the back. we were just to the left of Gord D.

All for now,
Aaron
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

haha, thats awesome aaron, i totally remember you.

hey, do you remember at what point exactly, and during which song did Gord make the comments about us in the front row? something to the effect of we're all crazy or something...?
davecaddie
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by davecaddie »

seeing as though everybody else is dropping in i figure i might as well also. aaron, and perhaps many of you others that were there last night will remember a goofy looking guy with really bad long blonde hair that was just hanging around outside richards without a ticket. yes, the sappy story of this student from victoria (thc member) that was unable to get tickets from tm, and failed successively to acquire them from any number of the local contests. anyway i made the journey over from the province's capital and thought i'd try my luck outside to see if anybody's friend ended up being unable to go to the show. after about 2 hours outside i was lucky enough to come across a wonderful guy (you know who you are) that happened to have an extra ticket. he bought his through tm so i payed for that, bought him a beer and enjoyed the show. i became known as "the guy that got in" to a large number of fans inside instead of being the desperately pathetic guy lingering outside.

any what a show it was. highlights include 100th meridian, nautical, gord's fun comments about the microphone wanting to be a man, but in reality is only a microphone stand "that is nothing without me" then he backed away from it continuing to talk (inaudibly) and then coming back to it and saying "see" it made me laugh. the crowd energy was amazing, i saw them at the commodore in 2000 for the greg moore charity show, but this one had much more umph.

so glad to meet so many cool people that were wishing me luck outside and super happy for me to see me inside, including aaron and his lovley girlfriend (sorry i forgot your name), among many others. and yes their were a lot fo pregnant women there, that was pretty interesting in a unique way (nothing sexist meant here at all).

can't wait for the full tour in the spring, but this one's gonna be one to remember.
cheers,
dave
cheers everybody