2004-07-01 - Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Just got home, great night, better than any IVL show I saw... 24 songs... Gord and Joel Plaskett sang the national anthem right before Plaskett's set.

Full setlist:

Scar
Grace
Summer
Poets
Good Life
Joe
Courage
Everywhere
Fireworks
Bob C
Nashville
Makeshift
Spring
Meridian
Mean
Nautical
Gus
Music

Jet
Beat
New O

Heaven
Wheat
Blow
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

nhaste wrote:
Full setlist:

Scar
Grace
Hey BM, whose yer Daddy!!!??? :)
Last edited by Stephen Dame on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

Vaccination Scar
Grace, too
Summer's killing us
Poets
It's a Good Life if you Don't Weaken
Goodnight Josephine
Courage
You're Everywhere
Bobcaygeon
Nashville
Makeshift as we are
Springtime in Vienna
100th Meridian
Meanstreak
Nautical Disaster
Gus
Music@Work

Silver Jet
New Orleans is Beat
New Orleans is Sinking

Heaven is a Better Place Today
Wheat Kings
Blow at High Dough

(and Fireworks somewhere towards the beginning)
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

Some comments:

Just before the Joel Plaskett Emergency played, Gord Downie sang Oh Canada with Joel on guitar. Gord was obviously practising for his All-Star Game anthem appearance. He also sang "George" instead of "God" during the anthem.

Friends and family were on bleachers behind curtains on the left side of the stage, so Gord often looked towards them and sang to them. His wife and kids were there, and at times it seemed as if his gestures were directed at and for the benefit of, his kids.

Rob played Lap Steel on VS, Wheat Kings and one more song (SKU I think).

At shows past, I recall the band would speed up midway through 100th Meridian, but spped up over 5 secopnds or so. Tonight the band simply switched tempo after the first part. As always, Gord sang the "If I die of vanity..." part very quickly, but tonight the band was playing as he did.

The usual songs had rants where you'd expect them (tonight many of the rants had to do with friendship). Sadly, NOIS lacked a rant between verses 2 and 3 (which I know is normal these days).

Makeshift seemed weak live.
Rob's opening to It's a Good Life sounded wrong. Either he didn't play it right, or they're changing it up on us.
Meanstreak started out very similar to the studio cut but grew into a drum explosion. The band will hopefully do more of this live.
I couldn't make the music to Silver Jet out at all from where I was (7th row floor). In the past I've found the song sounds good from the lawn but not under the shed; I don't know if this was true tonight.

Because the new songs are so short, the show was short: 24 songs in 110 minutes. The Hip were off-stage at 10:30, possibly so they could watch the fireworks at Ontario Place at 10:40.
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

Awsome show..nobody mentioned the Gord mic stand tricks failing twice, mic flew off and hit him in the head, then the rant about it, then he got it right the third time. Heaven was amazing, the guy beside me was a total douche bag, not a smile nor a movement during the entire show. Nothing like it.
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

mmilberg wrote:Some comments:
Rob played Lap Steel on VS, Wheat Kings and one more song (SKU I think)
The third song was You're Everywhere.

What a show! The new songs sounded every bit as great as I had hoped they would live. The band also really seemed to be playing to the crowd and seemed very gassed to be up there. I recall Gord ranting about Ontari-ari-ari-o at some point, or singing part of the song. I definitely can't wait for Wasaga now as there was just something in the air tonight that's left me wanting more...
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

"A place to live, a place to grow, Ontari arie arie O!!!" was what he sang; from the classic Ontario TV commercials.

All in all and incredible set! My top 3 of the 50 plus I've seen. And I got a copy of the setlist from Mark Vreeken which called for Fully to close the show, and Are We Family instead of New O is Beat. Sadly I was unable to video the show, although I did see at least two audio recording set-ups.

Please share this show as it was incredible!
Last edited by chris on Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Hey all

Just in. Some things to add before bed.

Our first "new song in progress" is coming out of Meridian. The lyrics I heard had something to do with a cell. Almost seems to be about someone on death row. It's late and I'm grasping, but the last lines went like "Could they run out of things to say / They won't will they?". Hopefully the boot will provide us with some answers. There were also works in progress towards the ends of Bob C, Nautical and Wheat.

The reason for Makeshift's weakness had a lot to do with the fact that GD could not remember the words. This proved to be quite comical actually. The only part he could remember to start to get him to the chorus was the "I'm too drunk for this" lines. During the first instrumental part, he goes over to Paul for the lines. He still stumbles through, but after the bridge is able to salvage the song somewhat. Gord S seemed to be ribbing him about it afterwards.

The fight with the mic stand after Meridian was funny as hell too. Poets and New O had "Swim!" outros, Poets including lines about the Dorsal Fin closing in.

Political comment of the night: "War is organized murder, and that's what Steven Harper would have brought you", following Nautical.

The new stuff plays well live. Joe and Gus were standouts for me. It was really funny how everyone when nutso when they introduce "If New Orleans Is Beat", thinking it was NOIS. Oh well.

Finally, as a sidebar, I was the guy in the white Joe Thornton jersey. The grand total for the night was 9 comments pro-Bruins, 8 comments anti-Bruins. The anti ones were kinda funny, ranging from "you're in fucking Canada man" to "hey look , Thornton finally showed up -- too bad it's in July".

Great night. Lousy time escaping. It took us 5 minutes to hit the DVP after DMB last night. It took nearly 90 minutes to do the same tonight.

Cheers

Pat
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Everything that I wanted to say has been said. BUt I need to emphasize just how funny Gord's antics with the mic-stand was. The first time around he dropped the mic stand and grabbed the mic just as it was about to hit the ground, then he wrestled with it and fought it like it was a snake. He said somthing like it was trying to bite him and poison him. BUt Gord told the mic that it was a mic and not a snake.., "You are a mic, and I am a man!" It was just freaking hillarious.

The next time he dropped the mic he brought it up again and he had to put that mic in it's place. Gord just shook his head in dissapointment at the mic and looked at the crowd as if to say "What was it thinking?"

Gord also had a great heart-to-heart with courage, admitting that he had taken it for granted.

When he came out at the beginning he said that he was so patriotic he could dance all night, and then said "I'm just as drunk as you are, I'm sorry, I'll make up for it, I don't know how, but I will"

There was some great material, I saw a guy front row with a video camera, so I hope that makes it to the net.

All in all a great night! :thumb:
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

i just got in and read the set from u guys and i cant believe they played that many songs, i mean it felt like 13 songs.. not 27. Very short concert.

I dont know if anyone could see this but the families of the band were off to the left of the stage and when 100th came on everyone of them (including the children) started jumping around like a hipbase fan would (did). it was great to see them so jacked for a song they have heard live a trillion times..They were up and dancing the whole show but 100th was for sure their fav.

Why did they close the parking lot to the amp when there was at least 25 spots not used. I had to park in the EX and it took over an hour to get to the start of lakeshore!!!
Bottom line: show was good, just wished they would mix it up a little more. Its a good life just kills a concert. and if you have not heard new orleans is sinking live by now, well then, you probably are not reading this so never mind!!
New album is great live and one of their best for sure. Heres hoping they come back to TO before October!
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Great Show, here are a few things that i noticed and a few things that happened to me. i'll try not to repeat things that have already been said.

i travelled with Chancellor and my girlfriend, and as soon as we got there, we headed straight for the tap & grill to meet up with the other hipbasers. of course nobody was there, and i discovered that the tap & grill is in soak city right beside the pool, and it is not a restaurant but basically a food stand and a beer stand. there were no tables and we ended up standing there. thehip11 (Jamie) finally got there and we waited for a few more people to show up. the_wheat_king showed up and there was a report of a farmerdan sighting so we took off to find him. we found him over by a place called the grill & taps by yelling "farmerdan" as we walked by every guy with a leaf jersey on (??i have no idea why there is a "tap & grill" and a "grill & taps" in the same park. a little confusing).

unfortunately we missed the whole opening band, and i was really looking forward to seeing that. we had some trouble getting in. it seemed that security is letting a couple people in at a time which created a giant line that went all the way out of the park. im not too sure what the purpose of that is since it is not general admission and nobody is going to be rushing to the front of the stage.

show was great. i agree it seemed like it was 13 songs. i cant wait for sarnia bayfest!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

The mic stand rant is turning into a regular: 2002 Hummingbird shows - http://forum.hipbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=362&highlight=

His microphone tricks are the stuff that legends are made of :thumb:
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

And how about Why did the have the Lakeshore to Gardiner Expressway West on-ramp closed on probably the busiest traffic night of the summer!

Gordon Downie 2 minutes for playing your guitar during Springtime in Vienna. That song needs you with your bells (is there a better name for what they are? no idea personally what theyd be called) and your unique brand of gyrations! Gord's guitar strumming doesnt really bother me, but. not. this. song.

3 T.O. setlists and Heart of the Melt is 0 for 3. Hmmmm. Was looking forward to that one. New songs play great though. Mean Streak is an album and concert highlight for me.

Makeshift amnesia was quite comical as was the crowd going nuts for New Orleans is Beat. The masses got their wish soon after though. But I could die happy never hearing NOIS again. And Bobcaygeon. But that's just me.

I thought it odd with all the new slower tempo songs on IBE they played Good Life.

"A microphone's not poisonous!"
Last edited by PurposelessPlay on Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

awesome show,

couple of things i'd like to share my opinions on
1) i think that Heaven was the best song they played last night, they really seemed to put some emotion into that song
2) The crowd: i dont think i've ever personally seen/heard as much noise during the breaks for the encores, the band seemed to feed off that energy
3) i think one of my favorite times of that show was before the show even started. we were sitting in a beer garden enjoying a few, and the hip came on for their sound check, man was i pumped! they played 5 song that you could hear very clearly from where we were. i think the songs they played were: you're everywhere, summer is killing us, mean streak, bobcaygeon and makeshift (not 100% but pretty sure)

Dan
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

PurposelessPlay wrote: 3 T.O. setlists and Heart of the Melt is 0 for 3. Hmmmm. Was looking forward to that one. New songs play great though. Mean Streak is an album and concert highlight for me.
Played heart at the mod club on the 29th...it rocked