2004-07-01 - Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Did anyone else see Bob Mackenzie (from TSN) in line? My brother and I saw him, he was with his kid(s). We didn't say anything to him but we both thought it was pretty cool. I tried to get a peak at his tix but had no luck. Didn't see him in the front row, but maybe he had a box. Who knows?

Anyway, lets just hope that LiveWire is or answer to crisp sounding Hip bootlegs.

See you all in Sarnia!
HugeHipFan
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HugeHipFan »

Bob Mackenzie & family were about 6 rows in front of the soundboard, centre section (ie. back of the 200's).
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

are we talking as in bob ( take off ) mackenzie? or another one alll together

Ron
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Good thought Ron, but the Bob Mackenzie you are talking about would never do something as "Canadian" as go to a Hip show on Canada Day at a venue named after beer, without Doug.

This Bob Mackenzie is a TV hockey analyst for TSN.
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Cpt. Trips wrote: Now, can we move on, or do i need to get the spoon out again?
Unnecessary. I know I don't need to tell you to cut out the immature remarks and flaming. If you feel the need to be disrespectful to people out in the world and at concerts that is your problem...but when you bring it in to the forum, and repeatedly insult respected long time members well, that is where I will step in. Chris has done nothing but help other people on this forum and with trading...are you sure you really want to make enemies here??

Grow up.
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Back to the reviews...since my internet has been down for a week or so, I figure I'd give ya a quick one:

We left Buffalo at 11am thinking there would be a lot of traffic...WRONG...nothing the whole way. We had a 30 pack for the 3 of us, arrived at 12:45, set up shop and let the party begin. I know a little early, but better to be safe than sorry.

After sitting around listening to tunes and getting blasted by the sun got a little old we headed over to Ontario Place to check out the scenery. Not a bad place at all. We caught dinner at the Marina place and heard all of the soundcheck around 4:00. About 20 min of the soundcheck was Johnny warming up the drums. They played 3 new songs for soundcheck and everybody in the park near the Amp was treated to a few freebies.
As for the Marina place, 18 bucks a pitcher of beer, ouch times 2, 36 bucks. Oh well, food was good.

Onto the show...missed Joel Plaskett Emergency, but will try to catch him at Darien. We got to the seats right as the lights went down...perfect timing. 6th row right side, very nice view. Vaccination Scar sounded great, very weird to see Robbie sitting down too, the hair wasn't getting around like it usually does! HaHa. Beach balls flying everywhere, crowd singing along, Gord off the rocker, everything about this show was great. The people in my section were really cool too!

Won't bore with the setlist, since everybody has seen it, but man was it loud in there. That was the loudest show I have been to by far. My ears are still ringing a little. It was well worth it though.

The new songs sounded great, the old ones sounded great too. This tour will be one of the best yet, and yes these guys do just get better with age!! Keep it coming!

Oh yeah, why does it seem that everybody is going to the states on Canada Day, the traffic going away from Toronto was insane...
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

look, I do realize i'm now in a hole digging away that I really had no intention of getting into. And as I throw the dirt over my head sweating my balls off, dying on a wet nap, I realize I should just stop and move my ass out of this thread...I just cant....
See, I'm not a dick...I just wanted to join in on the merriment of the molson ampitheater concert, to be welcomed by people who love the hip as much as me....and I happened to mention meeting friends and being able to get in line ahead of 3Gazillion people, which I thought was cool, but apparently may be worse than murder (the hip base court is still in session)...and Now I'm the Unibomber....
I know Chris is a good standing member, and that I verbally insulted him with the eat my ass comments, obviously I was being light hearted..but really, his last message:
My friends (who were waiting in line like the rest of the respectful adults) were all aghast that a person of your age would act like an 8 year old.
Makes no sense! How could his friends make comments about me if they have noooo idea who I am...He talked earlier about 'two guys' who were sent packing by some dudes who made fun of them and tell them off...but I am not one of those dudes...I assure you the friends I came into line with were nothing but warm and accepting of my joy I brought...

So listen, I'm not an asshole...I never wanted to be an asshole....I've thrown the spoon away...and now I'm gonna lie in the bed I've made...while I suppose the dirt will bury me...

great concert anyways....
cheers...

ps.....it was just bill cosby from the family guy...
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Cpt. Trips wrote:
My friends (who were waiting in line like the rest of the respectful adults) were all aghast that a person of your age would act like an 8 year old.
Makes no sense! How could his friends make comments about me if they have noooo idea who I am...He talked earlier about 'two guys' who were sent packing by some dudes who made fun of them and tell them off...but I am not one of those dudes...I assure you the friends I came into line with were nothing but warm and accepting of my joy I brought...
My assumption, my mistake. Although your previous avatar bore a striking resemblance to that guy....

Then I go to da box for 2 minutes by myself. I feel shame...then I get free.
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

Way off topic, but too tempting not to touch.

This young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe

Here's a name for you nostalgia fans: Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown. I'll never forget an exclusive interview in which Swamptown revealed that he calls his hockey stick the "Big Tomahawk," and he usually refers to the opposing players as "the little scalps".

You all saw what happened. He challenged the Chiefs. Dave wouldn't take it. Dave's a killer.

:mrgreen:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Well, Dave's out. Who's gonna take his spot?
Is the answer Jesus?

CanuckCourage, that reminds me. I was coachin' in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible masturbator. He would get deliberate penalties so he could get over in the penalty box all by himself and damned if he wouldn't...

Oh those were the days.

:thumb:
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

Well Chris, it's time something is done about this penalty box debauchery, as a matter of fact I think the fans are standing up to them. The security guards are standing up to them. The peanut vendors are standing up to them. And by golly, if I could be down there, I'd be standing up to them.
:mrgreen:
gotmilf
New Maybe
New Maybe

Amazing Show... need pictures!

Post by gotmilf »

Was in Toronto for the first time to see THE HIP in concert on Canada Day. What's better than that. The amphitheatre never rocked harder! :jump Their set was great. Joel Plaskett also did a great job. Good Nova Scotian Boy but was surprised at the length he played. Ahh well, he'll get bigger shows I'm sure. But they weren't there to see him anyways so... anyways.... I was loaded, them 28 oz beer get to me everytime, specially when ya drink 8-10 of them and then the tabacky being passed around. We forgot our digital camera at home so weren't able to get any pictures. If anyone has any pix from that concert please email me right away or show me where i can get some. It would complete my road trip pictures from that weekend.

Thanks

Robbie aka MILF
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

High up above...

Post by Kolcun »

chris wrote: I was coachin' in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible masturbator. He would get deliberate penalties so he could get over in the penalty box all by himself and damned if he wouldn't...
God damn, I almost feel like stripping while skating around a rink.

What a great damn concert. The crowd 'round us was cool enough, I hope everyone else got the same. We kinda jammed it to the Go after, so we we're the only Hippos on the train (so our yelling and chanting probably seemed very annoying.

Such a great show. I was depressed that I had to go to work the next day. Love these guys.
Antares
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great Show

Post by Antares »

I've been a long time Hip fan but this was only my 5th time seeing them....BEST SHOW TO DATE!!!