2004-07-11 - Main Beach Area - Wasaga Beach, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-07-11 - Main Beach Area - Wasaga Beach, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

well anyone
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

... wow is all one can say.

It was the stuff of legends. The beach, the weather, the band, everything was in its right place. And me? Well, I was second row, right between Paul and Gord. I couldn't have been more pleased.

The setlist was not unlike that of what was played Canada Day, with We'll Go Too and Fire in the Hole making unexpected appearances and One Night in Copenhagen being played instead of Makeshift. The band seemed just as gassed on stage tonight as on Canada, ripping into Vaccination Scar and not holding back for the rest of the night. Gord's ranting and raving during Grace Too made me realize I would be in for one heckuva show.

If I have any complaint, it's that from up front, the crowd didn't seem to be as into it as I was. Most of the guys around me kept looking behind us for some reason, and they only sang along with the old favourites during the show.

All in all, it was a great time though. Thanks to Hugh, Stephen, and Shannon for helping me put faces to screen names. Hope everybody had as much fun as I.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

First review -- the advantage of living in Simcoe County I suppose.

The word for the day was Hot. It was an absolute perfect hot summer day at the beach today, and the energy surrounding the event rose with the temp. The day was a blast, driving was a bitch, and parking at Beach Area 5 was a mistake. 10 km of walking never hurt anybody, right?

On to the show. Things were about an hour behind, so the boys took the stage at 7. It was a very solid show, better than July 1 in my opinion. Set had many of the same songs as last night in Ottawa by the looks of it, but as is life. There were tapers in the crowd, one of them is an excellent one, so hopefully they boots will turn out, and turn up (in due time of course).

Here's the set, in order:
Scar
Grace ("Might not see the moon/ There'll be nothing but dark soon) -- also talked up Wasaga (How do you get the blues here?) and had fight number one with the mic stand.
Heaven
Poets (Swim outro)
We'll Go Too (my highlight)
Goodlife
Summer
Joe
Bob C
("I'll come back to marry you" outro)
Jet (Gord started saying how he had bought the stage and the venue, it was his -- "a fixer upper")
Nashville
Meridian
("We're at the hundredth meridian so shut the f**k up) Gord also made up a bit of a song over a really great jam between Rob and Paul about the flashing girls called "Here comes the Tits"
Everywhere
Courage
(He's a hellova guy / But never on time)
Meanstreak
New O (Swim!)
Gus
Music
-----
Springtime
Coppenhagen
Blow

---
ABAC
Fire In The Hole
("It's a song I hate but I'm still here. We need to stamp out hate")

So yeah, great times. The encore break between #1 and 2 apparently in Ottawa the night before was like 7-8 minutes, so immediately Mark was on the phone to backstage to make sure they actaully were going to come out, and started the intro to ABAC before anyone was back to hurry them along.

Don't know when show #15 will be. Hopefully at a small bar stateside.

Cheers

Pat[/b]
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I don't have much of a review for the show, other than to say, Wow!

--------

It was great to finally meet a bunch of Hipbasers. Hugh (and his great family), Angie (and her 3 great friends), Stephen & Shannon (and their friends), and Mark (and his buddies). It was an awesome day, with the only downer being the traffic on the 400 coming home. Boo!

---------

I recorded the show on my MiniDV. I'd love to get a hold of a better audio source and sync them, (hint, hint... to any of the tapers - PM me, please).

Command+Click (PC users can right click) and save this link to your hard drive for best performance - and to save me bandwidth :)

Here's a small clip from my recording. It has been scaled for the web.

I'll get a DVD done by the week's end - with or without the better audio.
Last edited by chris on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

that clip made my monday morning sooo much better

and gaddamn do the hip need a proffessional dvd made....
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

thanks chris you made my day
trevor
Completist
Completist

A longtime Hip Fan is reborn!!!

Post by trevor »

From most of the posts above, you can tell already that the stars were in the right place last night. Everything about the day went like clockwork. The sun stayed up to watch the show, Gordie and the boys hit their marks, and the fans loved every minute of it.

It had been a while since I had seen the boys live (Concert For Toronto) and I have come to the realization that nothing can top a live Hip concert. The gentlemen above was right, the Hip DO need a professional live DVD made. I really hope it was only a matter of time.

For anyone that hasn't seen them yet with the new songs in their arsenal, look out - you are in for a treat. If you love the album, you will love what the songs sound like on stage. Highlights of the set for me: The Grace Rant, We'll Go Too, Joe, ABAC and Heaven, Gus.

So to everyone from the board here that I met yesterday (I won't list them again as Chris has already done so) and to everyone else that made yesterday a day to remember for me, I thank you!

Until we meet again!
Trevor
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

There were two guys standing right behind me who had video cameras as well. I counted a grand total of 6 video cameras at this show. I hope that a couple of them read this board, and are willing to share their masters. I'd love to do up a multi-angle DVD.

I will have my single angle, camera mic audio DVD done this week and will post a torrent link here, and in my DVD Torrent thread, as well as on STG.

Two of the guys I went to the show with brought their SLR cameras with 300mm zoom lenses, so I should have a good collection of still photos to include on the DVD as a slide show. Woo Hoo!!!

Stay tuned...
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Oh yeah... I totally forgot. Rob came out for the encore wearing a mask - one of those plastic Hallowe'en style ones with the elastic around the back of your head. Sadly he took it off before he started to play. I was hoping for some Buckethead-style guitar solo action!
lampshade29
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by lampshade29 »

hi there. I'm new around here, but have been a huge hip fan for a long time.

i've never gotten a DVD from a concert but would love one from this show. I'm wondering how I could go about getting it? i was there and it was amazing. the grace ranting was so cool. and 100th was so entertaining and funny. also, the new stuff was so good. joe is climbing the way to my favourite hip song. so, as i said, it would be cool to see this again.

Thanks guys.
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

Chris, thanks for sharing that.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Awesome Chris!
Almost like being there. I was kinda hoping they would play outdoors somewhere here in BC or Alberta but i guess i'll just have to keep waiting, nothing like an outdoor show in the summer with the boys! Glad everyone had a good time looks like a great day.
All for now,
jay420
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jay420 »

Thanks for the clip Chris. Will your bit torrent require a DVD burner to watch? Or will it work as a VCD. I only have video of one show I've been to (not a Hip show) and it was in VCD format so I could burn it to a CD-R.

I'm hoping that a good audio recording of this show surfaces. I saw a couple of mics back by the soundbooth, so hopefully one of them shows up. I have the recording of the other 8 Hip shows that I've attended and would love to get a hold of this one.

It was an overall great show. The band (and especially Gord) were in fine form.

The highlights of the show for me were:
- We'll Go Too (biggest surprise of the night, and 1st time hearing it live for me)
- Gus (I'm really loving this song!)
- Gord talking about buying the stage (I put down my down payment today, put it on layaway)
- The "Here come the tits" jam during Meridian
- The Courage rant about being outnumbered 500 to 1 and them being armed with pipes and Gord expecting Courage to show up in 10 minutes, but it was more like 25.
- Gord's 4 battles with the mic stand :lol:
- Closing with Fire in the Hole (this is such an awesome live song!)
- All the beautiful ladies!

I was kinda surprised that it took Gord so long to comment on the Aligator that was on stage. I figured he would have worked it into one of his rants.

I wondered what was up with Rob coming out with the mask for the encore... all he needed was the KFC bucket to complete the ensemble.

Really great show, but the crowd didn't seem as into the show as most of the others I've been to.
kieffer
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kieffer »

Hey Everyone.......

All i can say about the hip at wasaga beach is amazing!!!!
Unlike a few other people who have posted before i found this to be an extremely energetic and wild crowd........there were mosh pits and plenty of crowd surfing......but i was right at the front and the band sonunded great!! everything was on cue and gord was great.he had some of the best rants i have ever heard including one about the some topless chick and how the tits are taking over! His fights with the mic were great and he later apoligized to it saying it expected to much from it cause it is only a microphonestand!! Had a great time and now i might have to head down to sarnia to see them this weekend!! WOuld love a copy of the show if anyone is trading/etc!!