2004-07-23 - Arts Center - Darien Lake, NY

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-07-23 - Arts Center - Darien Lake, NY

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
gibbytime39
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

darien rocks.........

Post by gibbytime39 »

darien lake felt the quake.............
set list..........
vaccination scar
grace too
summer's killing us
poets
weaken
josephine
courage
nashville
bob c
nautical
are we family
fireworks
100th meridian
meanstreak
springtime
nois
gus
music @work
heaven
wheatkings
fire in the hole
abac
blow

gord continued the fight with the mic stand and brought it up in three tunes. great show..........very tired.........a frozen pizza and its night night!!! 8)
corduroy2121
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by corduroy2121 »

confirmed as the correct setlist.
Encore breaks were after Music at Work and Fire, both were very short because they were fighting against Darien's curfew of 11pm.

appeared to be a HUGE crowd.. much bigger than i was expecting. The place was packed and going nuts. The lawn looked pretty filled, not bad for a 21,000 seat venue.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

enjoyed the show greatly

but what is everyone being so nuts when everyone is leaving
recorded the show but i hate the sound at darien the opener was louder than the hip were his vocals always sound muddled

watched a guy driving like a dick fish tailing on the wet lawn but right by the sherriff not too bright boy

Later
ron

man ihop was very tasty afterwords

add another hipbaser i have met highway girl (jen)

forgot about the guy at the food stand saw my hip tattoo and the shirt i was wearing whcih said tattoos is my way of investing in fine art
asked me for my buisness card thought i was a tattoo artist
had to laugh

also security in line to get in says i can't have the ring that is on my keys because at ozzy fest they used them as wweapons ok but are not my keys something that could puncture someones skull but a big ring (type you use for rock climbing is a weapon then they got made because i threw it away i was to hand it to her
Last edited by ron on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

was a great show, i agree ron, my levels were all screwed up cause the opening band was so loud.

I don't have much luck at darien getting good quality recordings. plenty of people there so I am sure it will get out.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

actuallly listneing right now and for what i record with sound is ok it is not
soundboard quality but i will do
BuffaloHipFan
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BuffaloHipFan »

Great show but.......

WHERE WAS YOU'RE EVERYWHERE????!!!!!!!! :cry:
11/26/96 Buffalo
8/7/98 Wattsburg, PA
7/29/00 Darien, NY
8/1/02 Toronto
9/1/02 Darien, NY
7/28/04 Darien, NY
6/17/06 Lewiston, NY
10/25/06 Toronto
3/10/07 Buffalo
6/30/07 Lewiston, NY
7/1/07 Lewiston, NY
11/2/07 Rochester
6/4/09 Lewiston, NY
7/1/11 Toronto
7/30/11 Buffalo
6/30/12 Niagara-on-the-Lake
11/2/12 Cleveland
8/2/13 Buffalo
4/8/15 Buffalo
8/14/16 Toronto
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

Oh.... my... god!

What a day!

Jamie, Josh, Brendan and I all decided to bite the bullet and make the trek down to Darien Lake for the show. Our waiting time at the border? About 30 seconds. A definite sign of things to come.

We get to the venue and start walking towards the amphitheatre only to hear what sounds like a drum beat getting louder as we progress. Could it be? Oh yes, Chagrin Falls is being played as part of the sound check. That gets followed up by Vaccination Scar, Lake Fever, and quite possibly to most chilling version of Scared I've ever heard (only guitar, vocals, and lap steel). The stage was definitely set.

We decided to skip out on the opening act as they seemed a little heavy for the show. By doing do, however, we managed to meet up with a couple named Bob and Fran who had trekked from Portland, Maine for the show.

And then the show began...

Things definitely couldn't have been better. The setlist was pretty standard, but the energy displayed by both the band and the crowd was through the roof. I recall watching the Mod Club show earlier today and thinking about how cool it was that Bobby was moving around the stage at the end of My Music at Work. Well, he did that tonight, among other things.

There were no huge surprises in the setlist, as previously mentioned, though hearing Are We Family, Wheat Kings and Fire in the Hole definitely hit the spot. During the encore breaks the crowd was so loud I almost thought a riot was about to break loose. The band really seemed to feed off of the energy that was being emitted.

All in all, one of the most memorable days in recent memory, and one of the most memorable concerts as well.
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

What a great show...i'm still too tired to post everything...sucks that I have to work today.

I brought in the digital camera, so I'll be downloading pics later on this morning.

Had 12th row, was a decent crowd. Nothing spectacular about the setlist, it was same ol same ol...but it sounded good. The guys were tight.

What's unfair?? Two friends of mine (one not even being a Hip fan) were sitting in the lawns, and a random guy came up to them and gave them FRONT ROW...and backstage passes. They called me while I was on the way home to inform me of their backstage presence. I'll be seeing her today, so can get a full report. Good for them, sucks for me! :)

Kari
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

gotta love the hip but there show is getting old. pretty much the same setlist as canada day, and i was able to call, before they went on, the first 4-5 songs. If they tour this year i will probably not go...75$ CAD for a ticket to see the exact same setlist...no thanks.

The highlight of the day for me was the soundcheck...from our parking spot you could hear every song

Meanstreak
Are we family
Heart
CHAGRIN FALLS!!!(would have been nice to see in the setlist,)
VS
Lake fever

Ah well, still a good show but was hard to hear what gord was sayin in his rants...acoustics in the 10th row were terrible

Oh and i so thought gord acknowledged the group holding up the 'locked' sign...but nope :cry:
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Weird.. They have not played heart of the melt, chargin, or lake fever(thank god) in any sets this year. Why use them on soundcheck if your not going to play them. I really dont understand why heart of the melt has not been played!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

gratts99 wrote:Weird.. They have not played heart of the melt, chargin, or lake fever(thank god) in any sets this year. Why use them on soundcheck if your not going to play them. I really dont understand why heart of the melt has not been played!
I think a few things are being saved for the fall/winter tour. When your major fanbase is concentrated in Western New York, Southern Ontario, it'd be wise to hold off on a few things, especialy if you plan on a lucrative swing through those same cities within months.

I think the current short-term touring road show (Basically the same sets every night) is to allow the boys to get their road legs back, perfect the new stuff, and then start mixing it up (Read: Making Gord remember the lyrics to more than just the standards) for a more diverse tour later this year.
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

I have downloaded just a couple pictures so far...it's soooo early and I'm too tired to download and edit the rest. These are the first three on my camera...all from Grace, Too.

www.geocities.com/hipcrush/darien.html
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

Wooooooooooow...I finally downloaded the rest of my Darien pictures...they are amazing. They put the first three to shame! :) I'm going to upload them to my server later this afternoon so everyone can see.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Standard setlist.. except for Fire in The Hole!

I would have loved to see that at any of the 10 shows I have been to!!!