2004-07-23 - Arts Center - Darien Lake, NY

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

marclupish
New Maybe
New Maybe

Setlist

Post by marclupish »

I wiah they would eliminate some of the old songs like 100th and nois, and put some train overnight, sherpa, or how about coconut cream something they don't often play. I loved the molson show cause they play 2 news songs (at the time ballroom and joe) and they played daredevil and boots. how great was it to hear those songs for a change. It was refreshing.

Well maybe next time
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: Setlist

Post by Summiteer »

marclupish wrote:daredevil and boots. how great was it to hear those songs for a change. It was refreshing.
You mean Bootz or Heartz at the Amp? they didn't play that there...
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

I thought the show was great, especially for a darien show. Gord was on fire all night. The crowd was very good and at times you could hear everone singing almost as loud as the band...The biggest problem I saw was the Darien security gaurds harrassing everyone for the littlest things...Anyway, did anyone get a shot of gord standing like the mic? Would love to see it.
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Absolutely loved the show! Crowd was energetic, along with the band. Gord only had a few fights with the mic stand..I am thinking that they may have made up temporarily. We will see if that lasts...

Anyway, I finally got to meet a few Hipbasers...Ron , Jamie (thehip11) (Josh)Heron Outside, (Darren)D-Man (sorry Darren, now I know what you meant by the elbow comment at the other concert...finally met someone who is shorter than me :oops: :wink:)& Wheatking (Brendan). I am glad to finally put some faces to the names :D

Anyway..great time!!

~Jen
P.S. I will also post pics as soon as I can!!
bobc50
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bobc50 »

where could i find a recording of last night's show at DL?
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

The mic pose that Gord did was excellent, especially when he pulled the mic stand apart, how funny!! I took a picture of him standing like that, but still haven't downloaded all of the pictures yet to my webpage. Once I have, I'll post a link again.

Also, during Fire In The Hole, Gord totally missed one of the verses entirely...maybe he forgot the words?? He just stood there and grooved, and then started into the chorus. It was funny.

Security was anal as hell. My step-son and his three friends were in one of the boxes (between 200 and 300 section), and I went to check on them right before the show, and the security guard there was completely ridiculous in not letting me walk three feet to talk to the kids. Please, how far could I really go?? I told him that he's taking his job WAAAAAAY too seriously, that he's just a security guard, not the freakin' sheriff. He looked at me with the blankest stare.

But overall, a great show. We had VIP parking, and got there RIGHT before soundcheck. How awesome was that. We walked to the porto-potties and could spot Gord on the stage singing Lake Fever. Too bad they didn't play that, or Scared (which was our wedding song, so it would have been bonus).

A backstage update...all the guys came out within 20 minutes...a record time!! They all sat at a couple tables with some of their family and others. Two of my friends, minding their own business talking to two other girls backstage, said Johnny came up to them and introduced himself as "Johnny, the drummer". He invited them over to The Hip's table for some drinks, but they declined (HELLO????), and finished up their beverages, talked to Johnny for about 10 minutes, and left. They didn't want to bother the guys, which I suppose to respectable enough...but I dunno, if I was there with them (she had an extra backstage pass for my hubby and I...but we had to leave right after the show to get our carful of kids home to their folks, booooo), I'd have been all over Gord D like a fly to...well, at least I'd go say hello.

Anyway, it was a fab show! I'll post the rest of my pics when I get time to upload them.

Kari
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

Ahh!

I neglected to include in my review that we met up with Jen just before the show, where I proceeded to drop my plastic beer bottle at the most inopportune moment!

:oops: Sorry Jen!
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

Summiteer wrote:
marclupish wrote:daredevil and boots. how great was it to hear those songs for a change. It was refreshing.
They mean Molson Park in Barrie last year...
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

D-man wrote:Ahh!

I neglected to include in my review that we met up with Jen just before the show, where I proceeded to drop my plastic beer bottle at the most inopportune moment!

:oops: Sorry Jen!
I'll let it slide this time :wink: 8) That was pretty funny though...lets see how the pics turn out :lol:

Also!! Thanks to Drez for the tip regarding the parking on Sumner. It worked out great!! We will know about that from now on..and also thanks for all your info leading up to the show! :thumb:
Wheatking20
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Wheatking20 »

Wow! What a fucking show that was last night. The crowd was nuts and electric. The hip sounded awesome. I was in section 201 and heard most of gord's rants pretty good. The highlight of the show for me was Blow At High Dough. That was a great way to end the show. They ripped that song up. This show made my week after not being able to go to the ottawa bluesfest because of car trouble. :( :thumb:
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

i have the darien show for anyone who wants it i can't seem to get on to 100th to upload it so i guess b&p will have to do or through aol inst messanger audio
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Hip Trip

Post by bobnfran »

Hip Trip

Portland, ME - Darien Center, NY USA (Bob, Fran, Sonny and Dave)

It starts...long after Sonny begins his 57 day count down. It's been a long time since we've seen TTH. Far too long!! We travel to Albany and spend Thursday night there. When we reach the lot at Darien Lakes Friday there are already many Hip Heads in full party mode. We pull in and set up house, make friends with our neighbors, share TTH stories of past, wonder if we'll see any henhousers that we know.

And we wait...

We finally make our way in as show time nears and we run into Jamie and crew. We chat like old friends. This is what we love about going to TTH shows. The camaraderie of the fans. One big happy family. (okay, there are bad apples in every crowd...but you know what I mean!)

When the warm-up band finishes we wish all a good show and head to our 5th row seats. We are close, but well to Bobby/Robby Baker's side of the stage. I spot Dave, another henhouser in the front row center with video equipment all set up. Bob and I go over and say hello. Then he points out Mark a little to his left...who is also all set up with his equipment. Looks like we should be able to score copies of this show!!

We make more friends in the crowd. Everyone is checking out our Hip autographed Maine Hockey Jerseys. We get our banana's and our "LOCKED" sign ready.

And we wait...

How can I explain the emotion that is bursting at the seams of my soul? I am at a Hip show. The band is on fire. The new songs are coming off beautifully. The old songs are a wonder to hear yet again.
It's worth every second of the trek from Maine. We all agree!! We are re-energized. Yes, all the band acknowledged the "LOCKED" sign, but it wasn't meant to be at this show. But that's okay. We got a Hip Fix at last...one that makes us crave even more. A drug to be reckoned with!!

PLEASE...let the (USA) tour begin...

And we wait...

Fran and the banana shaking maniacs
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

tommygunn wrote:
Summiteer wrote:
They mean Molson Park in Barrie last year...
"O" 8)
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
corduroy2121
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by corduroy2121 »

I brought my digital camera into the Darien show and got some good pics (from the 9th row dead center). thought i would share
by the way, I also posted the same link in the General forum

http://community.webshots.com/user/dissidentphotos
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Ah, the weekend is finally over and what a blast it was.

We set up our campsite by 3:00 and were ready to go. I have to agree hearing the soundcheck loud and clear was very cool indeed.

Just shortly after soundcheck, Andre Cardinal and the rest of his Cornwall crew show up for the festivities! The anticipation was certainly building, for this one. We fired up the grill, downed a few cold ones (maybe a few too many...oops) and headed inside to arrive with about 10 minutes to spare before the Hip take stage.

Our seats were great, dead center. From Vaccination Scar to Blow at High Dough, every tune was great! The sound under the tent could have been a bit better, but it didn't take away from the show at all. The crowd was great too, I remember looking behind me to see a sea of people going nuts from start to finish. I was loving the song selection for the night, and then....Fire In The Hole. This one basically made the night for me as I wasn't expecting it at all. But, they do always have a song or two up their sleeves for Darien it seems.

Fellow hipbaser Longname (the yellow Cheerios guy with the Sabres hat and sweet farmers tan walking around the park) was also a part of all of the party. TragicallyMike also made an appearance during the show to say hello. Would have tried to meet more Hipbasers there, but there wasn't much time to spare from the time we arrived in the venue til shows end.

Oh yeah, the Canadian Flag beach ball you may have seen floating around...we had spent the night before decorating it up. The maple leaf had The Tragically Hip written inside, it had 7-1-04 (where the ball was born) and 7-23-04 (where the ball met its end) written on the sides in large marker. Also, as a bit of advertisement... www.hipbase.com was written in large print on both sides of the ball. So, if anybody comes across this site as means of the Darien beach ball let us know. The thing looked really cool when it was all done...should have got a few pics. It ended up sitting on stage for a little while so maybe it actually made its way back there and someone saw a little Hipbase advertising. That or Billy Ray chewed it up and spit it out! Maybe the ball will show up on the video at some point...it ended up by Langois.

After the show, the campfire was great and we couldn't have asked for nicer weather. It was very cool hanging out with Andre and his crew for the weekend. I really hope that wallet turns up soon and I will keep looking here.

Let recovery from this weekend begin! Can't wait to get back inside for an indoor show soon...Someone mentioned Labor Day as a time for some dates...So, til then...