2004-07-24 - Laurentian University - Sudbury, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-07-24 - Laurentian University - Sudbury, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

Sudbury - Great Show, and Great Time

Post by Kolcun »

I've never been in Sudbury before (just through it), and I gotta say - I had a great damn time. We got down a little late after forgetting to gas up... but managed to pull in around 730 or so. Finding parking wasn't too tough. Not too many people tailgaiting out where we were but we found some guys from Windsor and tossed the frisbee into some parked cars (good stuff).

Anyways we made our way to the show and just in time too... Wasn't that big of a crowd (at least compared to the other shows on the tour), which was nice for once. Awesome set. I'd be f---ed if you asked me to remember the list, but I know they played Lake Fever and that's all that matters. The best point of the whole show was Gord's impression of the mic (where he stood with his head askew like a doofus). Awesome stuff.

As for the rest of Sudbury, we let some people drive our car (too tanked) into town and hit a bar called, get this, 'The Night Club.' Holy shit, that's original. Good times there tho - and after that we spent the night walking around. Check it out if you're up there.

Great time, good people, great tunes. I'm glad I went and it was a great way to end the tour. I'd be glad to go back up there for anything now (if only the drive wasn't such a whore!)
lampshade29
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by lampshade29 »

The Show was really really great. I was at Wasaga Beach too and the setlist was very close to the same.
Although...we got Lake Fever and Gift Shop! They were quite good. Lake Fever being one of my favourite hip songs made it super nice to hear again finally.

The crowd was good, but there was a fight in the middle of the show which got sorted out pretty quick. But we were really quite deafening between the main set and encore.

I was lucky enough to meet Johnny, Rob, Paul and Gord D. after as well. They are super amazing dudes and I feel really lucky just to have had a few minutes with them.

I'll sit down later and try to put the setlist in order in my mind before I attempt to write it down here.

All in all, a great time and the band seemed to enjoy it.
Last edited by lampshade29 on Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Just got back to Ottawa! Show was excellent! Got a setlist so I'll post away!

Scar
Grace
Summer
Poets
Fever
Courage
Everywhere
Fireworks
BobC
Nashville
Meridian
Joe
Gift Shop
Jet
Mean
NOIS
Gus
Music
------
Fully
Makeshift
Bones
------
Heaven
Blow

The show was awesome and the crowd was great... only at the end did the stupid people make their way to the front to cause trouble. I don't remember much more than that... not enough sleep in me right now. Can't wait for the winter!
Last edited by ShannonW on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Being a Sudburian I am proud to say that my hometown did not fail to disappoint. The best part was the fact that there weren't too many people there and it wasn't tough to get a good spot...Aside from taking a few boots in the head from crowd surfers (which I thoroughly enjoyed chucking to the ground...provided they weren't ladies)I was probably 10 feet from the stage...close enough to see Gord break his D string while playing Josephine. I loved the fact that they saved Makeshift for the encore again, just like they did in Ottawa.

I noticed someone taping the show from the front row..hopefully he was a fellow Hipbaser so that the boot might surface some time soon.

Met some cool people from the Niagara area, but the best part of it all was that I got to go backstage and meet all the guys after the show. I have some tour information which I will divulge in a new thread on the main page.

The only revision to the setlist I see posted is that the played Heaven not Meanstreak as their first song in the 2nd encore...other than that it is bang on.
All in all a hell of a time.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

oops! you're right. I'm just ridiculously sleepy. Fixed!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

ShannonW wrote:oops! you're right. I'm just ridiculously sleepy. Fixed!
You just need to get some spare ribs in ya.

Show was great! Northern lights were terrific, the dude who was singing along with me was stellar, got two setlists and Johnny's sticks, touched the big friggin nickle, Gord did "the Heron," "the Gorilla," and his impression of a mic stand: "... here watch! I can do what you do better than you do!!" It was just a super show all around.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

The mic stand must be new. He battled with it at all 3 shows I have seen this tour. This must be an extension of his battle, just mocking the mic stand.

Someone should warn Gord that one day the mic is gonna cut out, who will have the last laugh then?

...poor microphone
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Well, all-in-all it was a fantastic weekend! I wasn’t just in it for The Hip, I’ve been incredibly excited about the Bluesfest coming to my adopted home town, and I wasn’t disappointed in the least. There were great acts all weekend long. (There is actual Hip content at the bottom. Feel free to skip my other musings.)

Blackie & The Rodeo Kings and Blue Rodeo were fantastic on Friday night.

Derek Miller, Suzie Vinnick, and David Gogo were Saturday highlights for me (after The Hip of course). 13-year-old phenomenon Jimmy Bowskill was also a treat to watch. I was a bit leery about him, figuring that it would probably be more of a novelty act. A little kid, dressed up like an old bluesman, slinging a guitar that’s damn near as big as him, and singing in a squeaky pre-pubescent voice. However, he pretty much stole the show for a lot of the blues fans there. I figured that he would probably play pretty well for a 13-year old, but I didn’t think that he would match up well against some of the other artists there. His guitar playing was incredible though, and he really won over the crowd when he put it down for a minute and also proved that he could blow a great harp solo too! I’m usually creeped out by kids who sing adult songs, but his singing was surprisingly good. I didn’t buy his CD (although I supported a lot of the artists this weekend), because I’ve heard clips, and it’s got that creepy quality to it, but he’s definitely much better on the stage. He didn’t even look like a total goof-ball in the bluesman get-up either!

Sunday was a blast as well. Guitar Shorty, Little Charlie and Matt Minglewood all played great sets. Sonny Landreth closed out the weekend, and absolutely blew me away. I was much more familiar with his legend than his actual music, but he is an absolute slide wizard. It’s no wonder that our man Robby/Rob/Bob/Bobby (pick your preference) named him as an influence. I know that a lot of people on the board are not hardcore blues fans, and will never go out to see some of the other acts I’ve mentioned, but it is definitely worth seeing Sonny. And seeing him will definitely be more impressive than just hearing him (although I highly recommend giving him a listen!). The way he moves over a fret-board is damn-near breath taking. It’s a visual art for guitar fans like me.

The icing on my blues cake was winning the raffle for the Fender Strat, autographed by all of the acts that played over the weekend. Including of course, Gord, Gord, Robby, Paul and Johnny!

Actual Hip content begins somewhere around here:

Anyway, now for the real thing! Sorry for getting so far off-topic on a Hip forum, but like I said, for me it was not just a Hip show, it was an entire musical weekend, and I loved it. Plus, I’ve got nowhere else to post this stuff!

The Hip rocked. They sounded absolutely fantastic, and it was a treat to hear Lake Fever. As everyone knows, the sets didn’t change a lot this summer, so that was one of the more memorable moments for me. As far as the concert went, I think others have covered it pretty well, so I won’t say much more than that. Unfortunately, I didn’t think that the crowd was nearly as good as others have mentioned, and I was mightily pissed-off by the end of the night. I guess it was just my bad luck, but I seemed to be surrounded by every type of the previously discussed “concert fool”.

A big group of social butterflies were right in front of us. They seemed much more interested in talking the whole night, instead of actually watching/listening. To make matters worse, they shuffled around the whole night, so that they could all take turns taking with each other, pushing us and blocking our view in order to get where they wanted. A seemingly endless stream of people pushed their way through and past us to get close to the stage, totally ignorant to the fact the many of us had stayed in one spot for hours to enjoy the show from up close. I had beer spilt on me several times. Girls on shoulders popped up directly in front of us a few times. Unbalanced fat people jumped on my toes during the bizarre pogo routine that seems to break out during Blow and Bones. People were throwing beer cups at each other all night, and one person even threw a lit sparkler onto the stage, pissing of Billy Ray something fierce.

At one point I nearly dropped the gloves with someone who decided that since he couldn’t weasel his own way any closer, he would just start single-handedly trying to squeeze the whole crowd closer to the stage. When he tried to push me right through my wife, almost knocking her to the ground, I lost it (in my best “The Champ” voice)! My wife quickly intervened, apparently worried (probably with good reason) for my life. Now, I’m not one to fight. I’ve fought once, in grade 6, when two fellow geeks in grade 7 and 8 respectively, decided that I was too young to hang out with them, and revoked my membership to our 3-person Beatles fan club! I cried the whole time in the principal’s office, waiting for my mommy to pick me up so that I could serve my half-day suspension at home.

Not only this weekend, but last weekend in Sarnia, I’ve been ready fight with “concert fools”, only to be quickly whisked away by my wife. That behavior is totally unlike me, and has driven me to a very resolute decision. I will never buy tickets to a general admission Hip show again. I’ve heard it said here before, and will now add my name to the list of people who hate the average concert goer. I know that most people on this forum do not fall in into the category of “average” Hip fan, and I’m sure that most of you act respectably at a concert, but there are just too many people out there who don’t seem to have a clue. I’m done. See you all in assigned seating!

Sorry again for carrying on for so long.
Whip-poor-will
New Maybe
New Maybe

sudsbury

Post by Whip-poor-will »

awesome, awesome show....lake fever was solid - i loved how everything was kinda slower and bluesy....would have liked to see the rest of those gay sparklers shoved up the arse of the idiot who threw that one....meathead....like sloan sid - "it's not the band i hate it's their fans"....this was show #37.....can't wait for the fall tour where they will undoubtedly mix it up a bit....have some good pics, will post them as soon as i can.... :jump
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: sudsbury

Post by Hairbird »

Whip-poor-will wrote:like sloan sid - "it's not the band i hate it's their fans"
Yeah, that's how I'm starting to feel. Not the uber-fans of the Hipbase of course. But the average fan is defenitely worth hating!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Agreed with Hairbird. BARK are always fantastic!
Whip-poor-will
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Whip-poor-will »

backwards baseball caps are so passe...
i was surprised that the boys would play little bones and blow especially after the sparkler incident - those tunes just get the testosterone goin....i had to put a meathead down myself on canada day for grabbing my girl....not sure what the world is coming to....
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Whip-poor-will wrote:backwards baseball caps are so passe...
i was surprised that the boys would play little bones and blow especially after the sparkler incident - those tunes just get the testosterone goin....i had to put a meathead down myself on canada day for grabbing my girl....not sure what the world is coming to....
I think the sparkler incident was mollified by the bra and panties incidents after it. One girl in front of us tossed BOTH at Gord.
H1ghroller
New Maybe
New Maybe

What a night

Post by H1ghroller »

My buddies and I broke up a fight about 3 rows back.. Gordie was on fire that night, the setlist rocked especilly finishing it of with Blow at High Dough.

The Northern Lights were amazing that night

H1ghroller