2004-09-12 - Across the Causeway - Kingston, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-12 - Across the Causeway - Kingston, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

From TheHip.com

Sunday, September 12, 2004
Setlist - Across The Causeway, RMC Grounds, Kingston, ON - Sept. 12, 2004
Vaccination Scar
Grace, too
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Goodnight Josephine
Courage
It Can't be Nashville Every Night
In Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
As Makeshift As We Are
Fire in the Hole
100th Meridian
Springtime In Vienna
Meanstreak
New Orleans is Sinking
Gus
My Music @ Work

First Encore:
Heaven is a Better Place Today
Wheat Kings
Locked in the Trunk of a Car*

Second Encore:
Escape Is At Hand
Ahead By A Century
Blow At High Dough

* - w/Dan Aykroyd on Harmonica

The Boys would like to send a sincere thank you to all the bands who made this a special day. To all the crew, staff, vendors and volunteers for all of their dedication and hard work.

Special Thanks to Riley O'Connor, Ken Brault, and the entire House Of Blues Concerts Canada Team. Without you, none of this would have been possible.

Thank you to the Community Foundation of Greater Kingston for thier support and inspiration.

Thank you, Kingston - It's great to be home.

Das Hips

posted by TheHip | 11:14 PM
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

That was...good. Solid show, somewhat predictable set ("Escape" and "Locked" being two obvious exceptions) and an *awful* crowd. Just awful--I've never seen so much disrespect for one's fellow concertgoers as I did tonight at RMC. I mean, I understand the occasional bottle being thrown...but an all-out projectile war, with people yelling, "The right's got nothing!"?? Just unbelievable. Anyway, the Hip were great, of course. I also like the fact that our "what song do you want to hear them play?" thread seems to have bore fruit. ;) I'm exhausted--looking forward to reading what others have to write after a very short night's sleep.

Steve
HugeHipFan
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HugeHipFan »

No Fire In The Hole. Everything else looks correct, and in order. <edit: as Steve says below, no Makeshift, instead Everywhere and Fireworks> Escape was a real treat. It was written on the actual setlist, yet Gord said "we weren't expecting a second encore". From where I was he did not sound sarcastic, but serious.
Good crowd, many people there early, 19000+ tickets sold. I did not see any cameras filming the show, but then again, I was somewhat far back. There weren't even any screens broadcasting to the people in the back, so... All in all well worth the drive, despite the same setlist as the last 11 shows. K-Town did all the bands proud.
Last edited by HugeHipFan on Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Whoa...one more thing. I just noticed the setlist that was posted on the official site, and there are two mistakes: "Makeshift" and "Fire in the Hole" should be "Everywhere" and "Fireworks". Promise.

Steve
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Just got back to Ottawa! I thought the show was great, and Escape HAD to be there for us! The whole day was great! All the bands were awesome. I went in not expecting much from The Trews, but they put on a very solid show! The short sets were VERY short, but at least the wait time between sets was also short. The Hip rocked! We got to hear a few rants, which was great. I of course dont' remember them well at all, but I"m sure someone does. The high pitch sounds rant... anyone who remembers that well can explain it... but it was great. And again... Escape was awesome. We freaked. The people I was with MAY have been the only ones around us excited for it, but our excitement made up for everyone else's lack of enthusiasm. I didn't see anyone else with a Hipbase shirt, but I didn't really move from my spot after 3:30 either, so it's mostly my fault! :) A few people asked about the shirts though, so that was kinda cool.

Great show! Locked was awesome too! Excellent night. And I thought the crowd was pretty decent.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

A couple of funny moments to add...

Gord gave his little intro to Gus, talking about the polar bear etc, which was all fine except that he should have been introducing Mean Streak! After the long intro he said something along the lines of "but you'll have to wait for that". I'm pretty sure he did it by accident.

Just after the intro to Locked started, the drum loop to Use It Up came on, it lasted for a few seconds before someone shut it off.

During the 2nd encore break the drum loop to ABAC started, the boys came out about a minute later when it became evident that something was wrong with Robby's acoustic guitar. After about two minutes of the drum loop they shut it off and went into Escape (probably was supposed to be played after ABAC), which is when Gord made the comment about being unprepared for a 2nd encore, which I think he was either saying as a joke, or to try and cover up the screw up. As they've done 2nd encores at every show this year, I doubt that they didn't plan to do one tonight.

Nick
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Also, just noticed that the main set was almost identical to Buffalo, except Everywhere instead of Family, and Mean and Spring switched places.... other than that it's the same. Encores were obviously different though.

Also, it was probably the longest of the shows I've been to this year... about 125 minutes I think.

Nick
K-Town Lassie
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by K-Town Lassie »

My God, what a great show!!! I'm still reeling!

I got there just in time to see the Trews start their set. Not being familiar with their material, I was rather uncertain at first. But I have to agree with Shannon, the delivered a strong set.

I thought HDRC was wonderful. Hugh and the boys gave a solid performance, despite the fact that the cd hasn't been released yet and most of the material was unknown. Hugh seemed genuinely excited to be there and the band had lots of energy. Paul joined them for a couple of tracks. (These tracks didn't seem to have names. Hugh just intro'd them as "Track 8" and "Track 9", if I'm not mistaken). Bruce McDonald was taping the show for a movie he was doing, and later joined them onstage.

I'm not very familiar with Matt Good, but I must say he was great too. Took the time to compliment the people of Kingston for coming out and said he doubted Vancouver would have been able to pull something like that off.

The Hip were in their finest form. It was magical. They tore it up. As was mentioned by a few people earlier in this thread, they played "Escape". Completely unexpected and absolutely beautiful. Most of the highlights have been mentioned already, so there is little I can add there. The entire band seemed more animated tonight than ever. The seemed to be truly having a good time. " Blow At High Dough" ended the evening and was absolutely killer. As far as taping the show for a DVD goes, I didn't see any video equipment or anyone carrying tv cameras (exception being CJOH news).

The only disappointment was the antics of some of the crowd. They started crowd surfing half way through HDRC and didn't stop until the end of The Hip's first encore. Being in the front row, I found myself constantly having to duck flying shoes and water bottles. The security guards had their work cut out for them. One fool crowd surfed his way to the front then tried to climb on stage. The security guys grabbed him with lightening speed and a great deal of force. They weren't dicking around.

I expected to see a lot of out of control students, but that wasn't the case. In fact, there was a group of five or six students beside me who were not only civilized, but dowright friendly. They made room for me to stand next to them and one girl even took some pics for me when I couldn't see past the security guard. Very nice bunch. I greatly appreciated it.

The last thing I want to note here, is that it is true testament to the spirit of the evening when you consider that there were no major problems with the crowd as a whole. As far as I could tell, there were no drunken brawls or near riots as could have been the case with that many people present. Everyone left in an orderly fashion and with high spirits. As Dan Ackroyd put it "This is how civilized people party"....
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

It sounds like an incredible show, and I'm disappointed I couldn't make it.

I'm even more disappointed that my 'lead' was incorrect with regards to The Hip making a DVD. :( Strange thing is he mentioned that HDRC were also going to have a film crew present. :scratch:
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

HDRD had Bruce MacDonald (Hard Core Logo, etc) with them, and he was filming their set with a hand-held camera. As for recording the Hip's performance, there were at least two cameras visible on stage (one on either side), plus mic's aimed into the audience. That's all I could see--but then again, wasn't really looking too hard to be honest. Oh, and I think there was a camera atop the soundboard.

Word, yo.

Steve
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

FREEKING AWESOME!!
I dont' have the set list but the band was RIGHT ON! AMAZING as always!
HIP HIP HIP!!
can't wait for them to do it again!!

tina
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Well,

I know i'm gonna be tarred and feathered by posting this, but I gotta say...
having missed out on this show, I am glad the setlist was garbage...

I'm sure the show was great. But from all the hype on this board pre-show, I really thought that something gigantic was gonna go on....

and all you guys can cheer for is escape? yeah sure the song kicks ass but where is werewolf baby?

where indeed.

i'm gonna go drink myself to bed now...

obviously bitter that I missed a hip show....
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

driving along Main St. in Bath with the windows down... looking out over the water with Daredevil Reprise playing we found the Bathouse and drove into the driveway and snapped some pics and had a beer smiling at the Gargoyals.... no one was home but us...

then on the the "The Hip Live Between Us Wall" took a few more pics and onto the parking lot for a few beers and friends.

MEANSTREAK, LOCKED and ESCAPE were the top 3 songs for me...

what a crowd.... lucky guys if your going to Queens this year !

cheers,

Jeffro
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

The show was good (they always are!), but I was disappointed with the crowd. I realize I may be a little spoiled with some great seats for some great shows, and this show, I was back at the soundboard. And there were people crowd surfing back THERE....

There looked to be a fan with a mic stand back there taping, and a small video camera.

Didn't see any 'professional' gear that would indicate a DVD being taped. I have to imagine for a great DVD that we would've seen SOMETHING...

Loved Escape, and Locked w/ Akroyd... just too bad I had already moved to the back of the crowd by then. And I'm still loving the new stuff live... I have new love for SIKU live...

Wore my Hipbase T-Shirt... only ran into Jeffro wearing his. Nice to meet you, even for a sec, sorry, but we were on a mission for food, and my sister doesn't frequent this place... :)