2004-09-19 - Cleveland, OH - The Odeon

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-19 - Cleveland, OH - The Odeon

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

If you were "Looking for a Place To Happen," Cleveland is it. Lots of new tunes from last night, and they played "Fighter Fighter!"

'Nuff said.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

From TheHip.com:

Setlist - The Odeon, Cleveland, OH Sept. 19, 2004

It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Grace, Too
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Vapour Trail
Courage
Fighter Fighter*
Bobcaygeon
Vaccination Scar
Looking For A Place To Happen
Are We Family?
100th Meridian
Springtime In Vienna
Meanstreak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus (The Polar Bear From Central Park)
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Wheat Kings
Fire In The Hole

2nd Encore:
Are You Ready
Blow At High Dough

* First time played as The Tragically Hip
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

chris wrote:If you were "Looking for a Place To Happen," Cleveland is it. Lots of new tunes from last night, and they played "Fighter Fighter!"

'Nuff said.
*gape* How was Fighter Fighter?? I'm dying to know. Here's hoping they play it in Syracuse or Philly. If not, I expect a full report! :lol:

-Jenna
cpierson
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cpierson »

OK, _what_ is Fighter Fighter? Is it an unreleased Gord song?
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

Fighter Fighter*

does anyone have a copy of this they can email me?

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

thanks
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Here is what Cameron Tomsett said about the song:

"I've heard the song that was cut from the album. It may not atract some hip fans but I thought it was terrific. Sounds somewhere between Nautical Disaster and an angrier Its a Good Life If you dont weaken"
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Ok, solely based upon that description, it has the capability to become one of my favorites. Now I *really really really* hope they play it and/or I can find a copy!

-Jenna
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I know it's kinda neat, but why play a song that the public cannot hear? There must be some motive...perhaps an update to the hipclub?

Anyone know if they ever played ultramundane live?
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

no they never played utlra live..
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

this is actually very unlike them, they've never strayed from album cuts, never been into Bsides, or rarites...

i wonder how the majority of the audience reacted? usually everyone know the words. must be wierd for the band to look at all those blank faces for once.
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

Cool surprise!
:thumb:
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

Remember: if a track gets cut, then it has no potential to be anyone's favourite song. Amazing songs (those with the potential to become someone's favourite) get released quickly...always. If not on the album,on a soundtrack, a compilation or a single.

Fighter Fighter might be decent; it might be enjoyable; it might be intriguing in a Daredevil Reprise way, but were it anywhere near as good as Nautical Disaster or IAGLIYDW, we'd have heard it by now.

As well, the Hip very well know the feeling of an audience suddenly not being able to sing along to a song mid-concert. Many, many of the songs they've released debuted on tours before the album was even recorded. Playing Fighter Fighter in Cleveland would feel no different for them than playing Josephine at last year's Edgefest.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Well after a long (long) drive this morning, Chris, Yvan and I are back at home. So time for a review.

We get into Cleveland from Detriot around 11am and go to check into our hotel. Can't get in until 3pm. Of course we're beat from the night before (The Hip rocked the Fox in Detroit the night previous) and all we want to do is shower and sleep. No such luck. So we kill some time. One of the things we did was call the Odeon to make sure taping of the night's events was allowed. They say there will be no problems. Perfect.

So we get to the Odeon around 6:30pm as doors weren't until 7 and Sam didn't go on 'til 8pm. We chat with some of Hip Basers, meet some new people and get ready to go in. We are told that there is a tapers section set up on the left-hand side bu the sound board. This just keeps getting better and better. We go in and Chris starts setting up the equipment with the rest that are taping (both audio and video). I head to the front of the stage to scope out a good spot to take some digital shots. Chris then comes up to me and says "We are getting kicked out. They are not allowing video taping!" So out Chris goes to get rid of his video equipment. Luckily I still had my digital camera and gots some really awesome shots.

But no one fret, from what we could tell, there were a couple of video tapers up on the balcony that slipped through the cracks. So with some luck, we might be able to get some footage.

Now on to the show! It was AMAZING! My first time seeing the hip in a small club venue like that. Stood about 5 feet from the boys and got completely lost in the whole experience. I don't remember too much about Fighter Fighter as the boys seemed to rip right through it. The crowd seemed receptive yet I think we were all a little shocked that we were hearing an unreleased song.

Definite highlights were: ALL of Sam Roberts set (he rocked and was so nice to us when we met him after the show!), Vapour Trails, Looking for a Place to Happen, Meanstreak and Fire in the Hole. Of course, it was awesome hanging out with Hugh and his crew again.

I met some new Hip Basers which I would like to thank for making Detroit and Cleveland such a memorable experience for me.

Thanks all and keep you eyes out for some pics (just as soon as I can get them uploaded).
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

It's true. Cleveland rocks! I know everyone says The Hip show they saw was the best ever, but without sounding cliche', I think that statement applies here. The band's setlist was a great mix of the old and new. Gord Sinclair out did himself picking this one.

So many things happened at this show. Bare with me if my post is a little longer than usual. I met many Hipbasers. Highwaygirl28 (Jen), Smadabeer (Jay & his wife), Newton (Kathy), bobandfran, and Asko. I don't know what the total attendance was, but there was little room to move in the small Odeon. For so many people in a small place, there was very little pushing and shoving. I know there were some Clevelanders there, but the audience consisted mostly of Canadians, a large bus load of people from Buffalo and other out-of-towners like us.

Here are my highlights. As you have already read, The Hip played their unreleased song "Fighter, Fighter". Gord D. had a good 'hook' in the lyrics and it was a great suprise. My favorite of the night was Vapor Trails. I haven't heard that live since the PP Tour. It was very good. Looking For A Place to Happen is a gem any Hip fan wants to hear. Gord was so into it, he bent his mikestand into a curve while riding it like a bronco. Another one I really enjoyed was Are We Family. Gord became very animated and was joking around throughout it. He was doing funny/goofy dance steps while while making all sorts of facial expressions. He had a somewhat devious grin on his face while doing all this. The last song that stood out for me was Wheat Kings. In his intro, Gord spoke of a man spending 23 years in prison for something he didn't do (David Millgard), and can capital punishment be right? He said, "But we know our justice system and men are infallible...." ( then with a hint of sarcasm), "Wait did I say infallible? I meant fallible".

After the show we saw Sam Roberts and some of his band in a back corner. They are a great opening act and they get everyone jacked up for The Hip. We went next door to Buffalo Wild Wings to get something to eat and rehydrate. We tried not to take too long because we wanted to meet the band before they got on the tour bus. By the time we got there, Johnny had already come by. I was disappointed I missed him.

Robbie came out a bit later. He spent well over 20 minutes speaking with the small hardcore group of fans who waited patiently for this opportunity. Robbie was telling us interesting stories of his experiences touring with The Hip and speaking about things that interest him. Here is some scoop he gave us. The Hip are debating wether to release the songs cut from IBE on their website or put them out on an EP. Their next CD will be a Greatest Hits compilation. While they are not 100% behind this idea, they are contractually obligated to do so. He also said The Hip are planning an art tour of all their original album artwork. That should be good.

One final thing about Robbie. He had about 10 of us listening to him and I asked if he wrote any lyrics. He said no, he sticks to writing music. He went on to say if he were to write any lyrics it would be something like, "I hate every bone in your body except mine". There was a slight delay amongst us, waiting for what he had said to sink in, then we all burst out laughing with Robbie.

I was standing at the back of the group listening to Robbie, when Carolyn and Suzie spotted Johnny in the front window of the bus. They waved to him. He waved back and got off the bus to talk with them. Gord D. and Gord S. had come out and everyone was in small groups speaking to them. Four of us had Johnny's full attention for 5 minutes. I introduced myself and shook his hand politely. I can see why he may not like to shake hands, as has been mentioned here before. The fingertips on his left hand were taped up. I asked if he would show me his hands. The left one had numerous callouses and cuts covered with tape. His right palm had what appeared to be bruising from squeezing his drum stick so tightly and hitting his skins so hard. The girls felt special because Johnny came over to say 'Hi' to them.

I left the girls with Johnny and went over to see what Gord D. had to say. He was answering questions about lyrics and just being friendly. When I got the chance I asked him about bending his mikestand. He said, "I wasn't really trying to do that. I guess I just have a 'super scrotum'." Those of us listening had a good belly laugh over that one.

We never saw Paul after the show. The other four guys were very nice and so down to earth. I'm sure Paul is too, but I've only met him once 2 years ago on the IVL tour when he gave me an autograph. No wonder why these guys are my favorite band. They make great music and relate to their fans so well.