2004-09-21 - Boston, MA - Avalon

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-21 - Boston, MA - Avalon

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Setlist from hip.com

It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Grace, Too
Are You Ready
Twist My Arm
In Bobcaygeon
You Are Everywhere
Courage
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
Goodnight Josephine
Lake Fever
100th Meridian
Escape Is At Hand (For The Travelling Man)
Fireworks
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Vaccination Scar
Ahead By A Century
Something On

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Little Bones
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Nice to see Twist My Arm in there! I haven't heard that one in ages!!
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

The sets are definately getting interesting, slowly but surely. Im finding it actually a little exciting, checking up on the setlist each night, seeing what they pulled out.
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

hey all. ive posted some pics at the henhouse yahoo group
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/henhouse_list/lst

darkest was slotted for song #3, billy came out and changed it 10mins before show!! they rehearsed it, but not tight enough yet....
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I'm getting chills looking at the setlist. Tomorrow cannot come soon enough!!!! :jump Did any song in particular stand out? Any changes? How was the energy? I'll stop playing 20 questions now, calm down, and get back to work.

-Jenna
heavy liquid
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by heavy liquid »

Nice to see Lake Fever, too! I think that and Music@Work are the only songs they've played from the Music@Work album, so far.
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

stand outs were...
nashville, twist, grace, lake, meridian (killer jam, no rants), escape, GUS, m@w, and bones.... all were played full tilt by band, and audience responded right back. electrifying!! after show, rob commented he got positive vibes from the aud right away. he was pleased. i have to say, gus left me "shocked and awed"...

they are working on introducing more songs, they said canadian dates will get the full catalog, since canadians "are more hungry and hardcore." dont know if i buy that... we are too. but thats their agenda. i brought up yawning to paul and his eyes lit up. said he'd try to get that one back in rotation.

i thought the set lacked overall. some of those standards are surprisingly powerful. lake was my fave other than gus.... Lake is a beautiful song, the audience participation was great. HURRY!!!!!!!

cant wait for a copy of the show...

the avalon is small, and hardly contained them... wheres LOCKED, he was there, we met up briefly. he can tell you more about the show...
changey
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by changey »

This was my first Hip show. Incredible. Except for the lighting designer.
He/she should be sentenced to an eternity of having red hot pokers shoved in
his eyes every 5 seconds. He/She obviously never sat in the audience to see
the results of the "design." The "backlighting" was blaring in our eyes so
much the band was impossible to see most of the time. Blazing white lights,
sweeping the audience. I watched so many people on the floor flinch every time the lights came
by. Utterly pisspoor design.

Gordie was insane of course. And I don't think I've ever seen a man sweat
so much during the first song.
Smartfuel
New Maybe
New Maybe

Avalon- Boston, MA 9/21/04

Post by Smartfuel »

Wow! 2 solid hours of pure bliss. I think I was the only Bostonian in the place with my Thip hockey jersey! Grace, Too was unreal as Gord had a great conversation with his microphone stand about working together. Love the new stuff. Mean Streak was awesome. The Avalon was a great venue.

Setlist - The Avalon, Boston, MA - Sept. 21, 2004

It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Grace, Too
Are You Ready
Twist My Arm
In Bobcaygeon
You Are Everywhere
Courage
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
Goodnight Josephine
Lake Fever
100th Meridian
Escape Is At Hand (For The Traveling Man)
Fireworks
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Vaccination Scar
Ahead By A Century
Something On

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Little Bones
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Locked »

Cheers Jeff!
Great to finally meet you.. and backstage no less!
I fully agree with jeff's review.
Songs were crisp / tight but with no jams...

Gords vocals were seemed refreshed compared to some earlier dates..
"Grace" was a near perfect rendition in slot #2, used the "fabuosly rich" tag for a cange..

Great accoustics, you could even hear his rant about the microphone wanting to perfrom on its own..

(Visualize Gord standing to the side of the mike stand as if to say "Go ahead, show me what you got" then he grabbed back and started raving "this is ridiculous!" classic Gordie.

"Twist" was a great surpise (Bobby later told me he forgot how to play the brigde during that one) but I couldn't tell..!

We also got a rare combo of both Bobcageon AND ABAC on the same setlist!

(Bobcaygeon had the starlit background, other than that, there was little of the great light show we saw during the IVL tour.
Very stripped down lights / stage set up.

Of the new songs, I agree Gus and Mean Streak are standouts, Bobby really shines on both...

"The summer is killing us" was also cool, played at almost a frantic pace..

Did anyone else notice the extended jam at the end of ?Music at Work" seems they have beefed up the ending to that one..

I was shocked and awed by Lake fever and Something On since I have been playing both of those songs non-stop in the weeks leading up to this show (spooky)

Nice additions to the setlist.

Johnny beat the hell out of hus drumkit as always, especially on Meridian and Bones..
Onto the backstage meet and greets that Jeff and I were at..
Here's what I learned beyound what Jeff has already mentioned.
- I asked Bobby (who's beardless BTW) if he was trying to extend his solos this tour with the addtion of songs like "Gus". He said he's reluctant to play extended solos , and the only time he extends tham is when Johnny won"t give him "the sign". Seems Johnny and him interact alot by eye contact on transitions from his solos back to the main tempo.

- Gord S. said they were going to add "DareDevil" to the setlist but it
needs more practice. He also told me Akroyd will be at tonights NYC show to play "locked" again with the band!!!

- I asked Bobby about "offical boots / DVD's" ..(I was pretty heavy handed, i must admit). Bobby confirmed once again that the band records all their shows but doesn't intend on releasing all of them. (ARRRRRG!) Even though I pointed out the success of PJ and DMB in the same live bootleg forum. Bobby said, "well this forces people to come out and see us live" (he just doesn't understand)

- He did say the band may pick certain shows from this tour to release as offical boots or put together a "Best of" Live from all the tours.
( he's said this in the past so I don't know how viable that info is)
He did say positively that the band will release a live DVD but have yet to decide what show it will be...

- I spoke to Gord D. about the amazing transformation of "Tiger the Lion" in their past live perfromances vs. the studio version. Gord perked up and said he was gonna talk to Gord S. about getting that back into the setlist but they needed a "drumloop" ???

Like Jeff said, the band is very focussed on rehearsing as many "gems" from the early albums for their Canadian tour because you cannucks are demanding it. Whoever communicated that message to them, they got it!

I didn't see Paul or Johnny but a buddy of mine golfed with Paul and Gord S. down in Plymouth yesterday morning.

PS, I had never heard Sam Roberts before and boy did his pre-set kick ass!!!
Kind of reminded me of a cross between "The Replacements" and "the Black Crows"..
I'm defintely going to buy his album..

PPS: I didn't see any tapers (audio or video)...
Did anyone record this show, please let me know!

Peace,
Scott in Boston :thumb:
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

Sweet Pictures Jeff!! Love the black and whites. Great meeting and hanging with you.

Scott...sorry we didn't hook up.

Unfortunately, Bob and I had to book for home in Maine after the show. It's been an awesome HipTrip. Overall review to come.

Love the sticks...hope to get them signed by Johnny in Rochester!!

Peace,

Fran
cpierson
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cpierson »

Overall a good show, if not at the caliber of the '02 Somerville or '98 Bill's Bar ones. Really made me wish even more that they were here for multiple nights. Gus ruled, SKU was much better live than on the disc, and I have increased respect for Mean Streak as well.

No problems with the more classic tracks, but Are You Ready was a little disappointing. It's an OK song, but it just feels a little lurchy in a live setting. At least they didn't save it for an encore. You're Everywhere was a bit disappointing, though I'm not sure why. And why, oh why, aren't they playing Melt?

Thank you, boys, for playing Escape (god, there was a lot of PP in that set -- nothing wrong with that, though). And they can play Grace, Too at every concert until the end of time if it's going to be THAT good.

One thing that struck me: this might be the only show I've been to in the past 10 years where they didn't play either Nautical or Locked. Fortunately, Gus fills the Dark Epic slot nicely, but it still felt a little weird not to have one or both of those.

And I'm getting Sam Roberts' CD, first opportunity. Dang, they're good.

Oh, one major complaint with the crowd: for half the concert I was wedged up against some yuppie prick who talked to his yuppie prick girlfriend CONSTANTLY, even if they had to yell to be heard over the music. I nearly asked them why they weren't doing the usual thing, and annoying people by talking through a movie instead. Fortunately, a gap opened in the crowd after they nearly ruined Josephine, and I managed to slip away. But I swear, it should be legal to pepper-spray *sshats like that.
sadies
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sadies »

jeff topping wrote:hey all. ive posted some pics at the henhouse yahoo group
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/henhouse_list/lst

darkest was slotted for song #3, billy came out and changed it 10mins before show!! they rehearsed it, but not tight enough yet....
hey there. how do i view the henhouse yahoo group??
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

in order to view yahoo photos or yahoo groups you have to register. pretty fast and painless. once you're at the home page, a menu on the left will say photos... go in there. i made a folder called boston 9-21