2004-09-26 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-26 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

I spoke with Gord Sinclair after the D.C. show last night and this is what he said. The Hip were going to play Heart of the Melt last night but ran out of time. He told Carolyn and I the band was going to play it tonight in Philadelphia!!

Get ready Philly, this should be a good one. I've seen many people post they want to hear that live. I hope they don't change their minds and take it out. I want to hear that one bad!

:jump :jump :jump
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Hugh23 wrote:I spoke with Gord Sinclair after the D.C. show last night and this is what he said. The Hip were going to play Heart of the Melt last night but ran out of time. He told Carolyn and I the band was going to play it tonight in Philadelphia!!

Get ready Philly, this should be a good one. I've seen many people post they want to hear that live. I hope they don't change their minds and take it out. I want to hear that one bad!

:jump :jump :jump
Sounds like you're in for a treat Hugh! Say hi to Caolyn for me, enjoy the show... and PLEASE somebody go to the Art Gallery after the gig and run the steps like Rocky for me... a pic would be nice too (Hint, hint, shannon) :)

You lucky bastards!
nathalie75
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by nathalie75 »

G'day.
OH MY GAWD. Shannon and Jamie and I were walking off the elevator to go see some Philly sites today and who did we bump into, but Billy Ray himself. ACK!
Anyways, we went for lunch and when we came back we saw all the crew for the Hip running around the lobby! So we sat down and waited (NOT looking like stalkers, each of us wearing Hip shirts)...we saw a pizza guy going upstairs and i KNEW he was delivering to the hip...sure enough, he got off on OUR floor...so we followed him and when the guy answered the door it was Paul Langlois FROM THE HIP!!! NOT only are they IN our hotel, they are ON OUR FLOOR!!!!
So...having some Alexander Keiths...we took 5 ice cold beers over to the room that the pizza guy went to and left a note saying, "From some Canadians, eh? Enjoy guys, from the Hip fans in 752. Heart of the melt."

This is NUTS!...

THE END.
FOR NOW.

p.s. this is my second post...i'm very excited to be a hip fan!

THE END.
FOR NOW.
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

Damn that's Cool !!! Green with envy. :mrgreen:
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Just got back from listening to the soundcheck! Sounds AWESOME.

We got there for the outro to Beat, and then heard Family, Dire Worlf, GREASY JUNGLE, and ABAC.

Talked to Robbie briefly afterwards as well. And then ran back to the hotel to be excited.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Oh guys...I'm so jeleous! Enjoy the rest of the night and certainly enjoy Heart of the Melt. I know it is something that a lot of us have been waiting for, for a long time!

I know the boys will rock it.

...anxiously waiting your reviews!
nathalie75
New Maybe
New Maybe

HOLY HIP!

Post by nathalie75 »

HOLY HIP!
Alright, so Sam Roberts was awesome, just as stellar as he was last night.
Shook their hands and invited them to party with us in our hotel, but they were leaving for Atlanta tonight..

THE HIP blew us away. They were more exciting than they were last night!
1) Scar
2)Fully
3)Courage (so freaking amazing)
4)Summer
5)Bob C
6)Puttin Down
7)Nashville
8)Fireworks
9)Family
10)Heaven
11)Meridian
12)Direwolf
13)Copenhagen
14)Jet
15)Grace
16)Music
17)Mean
18) New O
Encore
190Heart
20)ABAC
21)Fire
Second Encore
22)Gus
23)Little Bones

As taken from Paul's setlist that i got from Billy Ray..he also gave us Johnny's set list, KNOWING that the girl next to us wanted it and we already had one! EXCELLENT!

After the show, we waited around back of the venue and met all the Hip again, got them to sign all our crap, our setlists, Jamie's "In violet light" shirt, Shannon' s CD cover.

I had an awesome conversation with Johnny Faye! He was pretty social tonight, which i discovered later is a little rare.
He asked me where i was from (Ottawa) and asked what i thought of the shows. He seemed impressed that we drove so far just to see them. I told him i thought the Washington show was a great PLACE but the area was seedy...and i said i liked Philly WAY more. We talked about Chinese New Year because that's how we all woke up this morning....with massive banging from the New Years parade. He told me it started practically started in front of their tour bus and that it was brutal.
He's really sweet. He talked to me about my job and about coming to see them in Montreal. I told him i'd have to work it out with my family about babysitting. He asked about my daughter...I didn't realize that she has the same name as Gord Downie's daughter! HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!
Anyways, that was SOOO COOL!!!
When Gord came out, we talked to him a bit, (he seemed in a better mood tonight than he did last night)..signed all our things..he ended up keeping the sharpie that we gave him to sign everyon's stuff, so after he talked with some other fans who out there with us, i asked him for the sharpie back and he actually remembered my name! He thanked us again, he's so humble!
BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE EVER!!! (cept for when my daughter was born!)
Anyways, Hugh and his wife are heading over to our hotel room to have some pizza....

Take care!
Nathalie :shock: :lol:
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

I'm VERY excited and very tired!

This was the BEST show I have EVER seen in my LIFE.

Jamie, Nathalie and I got a great pic of us with Gord!

Awesome night!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Hey Nathalie, welcome to Hip central! I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up here. Nice to see Heart of the Melt back in the set. Here's hoping they play it on the west coast. Spokane here I come!!!

:jump

Cheers,
Casey

PS. love the photo!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

I just realized that was my 500th post. Yay!
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

I Waited outside for Gord and the Boys too everybody was cool and looking forward to Atlanta. Ottawa guy wearing the new team Canada World Cup Jersey (Dark yellow with red maple leaf) was smoking some cheap Philly blunts Cigars and got the boys to sign the box. They each signed chatted and took pictures and time with the 10 or 15 people waiting. Gord personalized the cigar box and wrote around the outside rim which we didn't read until eveyone had gotten on the bus and we were walking away. Gord wrote "Smoking makes you look cool...go team go..." We all laughed and shook are heads and were amazed at how humble.
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

It is SO cool to read a review from someone who truly appreciates the experience. Glad you all had a great time. Say hi to Jamie for us...

Are you all doing any other US shows?

Fran
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

ShannonW wrote:I'm VERY excited and very tired!

This was the BEST show I have EVER seen in my LIFE.

Jamie, Nathalie and I got a great pic of us with Gord!

Awesome night!
Okay, so we've got Shannon, Nathalie, Jamie... who's the bald dude?... Is that old guy even a member of hipbase? :)
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

I didn't think it was possible, but this show was way better than Cleveland. The Trocadero is a small club located in Philly's Chinatown. This club is slightly smaller than the other previous venues. It had a balcony and some ornate artisanship from the 20's or 30's. The main floor was 3/4 full and the balcony was loaded. The small crowd was really into The Hip.

Lots of good songs. I had a feeling it would be a memorable night when Paul was wearing a shirt with my favorite #23 on it. Puttin' Down rocked and The Hip are playing 100th Meridian at triple speed. I don't know how Gord can recite the lyrical rant built into the end of the song so fast. Carolyn has been hoping for Dire Wolf and The Hip delivered. No matter what song the band played, the crowd was responding to The Hip's energy.

Grace, Too was phenomenal. Near the end Gord was making screeching sounds while dancing around wildly. At the end of the song he ranted about going to war. He said the Americans should have used the Churchill Strategy. Send the Canadian Armed Forces in first to soften them up, and then attack. All the Canadians and Americans chuckled at that. NOIS ended the set. They changed it up as they did in a previous show. "I Can Only Give You Everything" was slipped into the mid-song jam. At the end, The Hip made some tempo changes to make the song sound really different. Then they finished it off in their normal flourish.

The two encores were awesome. Especially the first one. They came out playing Heart of the Melt, and does it sound great live. It looked like they really enjoyed playing it. Robbie's guitar playing was something else. He took his guitar pick and raked it up and down the neck of his guitar making some great sounds.

We can only hope that someone recorded Gord's antics on Fire in the Hole. He rode his mikestand so hard it was bent in half. He started jumping and leaping around finally falling flat on the stage, rolling about. He was screaming, "I've broken my legs, my arm, my pelvis....oh the pain is incredible....this is not entertainment anymore....". Everyone laughed when he said that. He got up limping and unbent his mikestand which had a crazy 'S' shape now. He started using it like a person on crutches. He ended the song doing an elephant imitation. Definetly classic Gord. All of the Hip members were excellent.

I have to give a shout out to ShannonW, Jamie-thehip11, Nathalie75 and brian1175. Hanging out with those guys made it a great weekend. A special thank you goes to my cousin Sean and our best friend Suzie. They go to every show with us. They sacrificed and stayed home in Detroit to watch our kids. Without them we couldn't have been here. Their friendship was the only thing greater than The Hip's performance.