2004-10-16 - Chicago, IL - Riviera

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-16 - Chicago, IL - Riviera

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Dentrev
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great show

Post by Dentrev »

I've been seeing all types of concerts for over 20 years, but I don't think I've seen a band as tight as they were tonight. New songs live blew away the CD's recordings.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

From thehip.com:

Setlist - Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL Oct 16, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
My Music @ Work
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Ahead By A Century
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Inevitability Of Death
Mean Streak
Fireworks
Goodnight Josephine
At The Hundredth Meridian
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Poets
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
One Night In Copenhagen
It's A Good LIfe If You Don't Weaken
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Escape Is At Hand For The Travelling Man
Little Bones
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Cliffs Notes Review:

[Montgomery Burns]Exxxxcellent.[/Montgomery Burns]

Highlights: Grace-Music-Gus trifecta, IOD w/the Canadian and Rest of World John Kerry for President endorsement courtesy of Gord (jeers to the guy that yelled, "F**k you, Gord" - guess he wants "more of the same"), good rants in other songs including a lot of mic & mic stand chastising, Escape, etc, etc. Too much happening for me (I do the rolling) - see Hugh's more detailed review to come (after all, he takes notes!).

Really good crowd - in good voice (middle section of Courage!) and no drunken buffoonery (at least not around me / close to the stage).

A thousand + one Thank Yous to Hugh (and Rob & Tristan) for the post show meet 'n greet. Additional thanks to Carolyn, Susie, & Sean (hope I spelled it right) - great company at a show! :D :thumb:
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Seriously looking forward to Hugh's notes...
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

I like Good life there in the encore than being played 5th in the night, just seems to fit better
sonofdad
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sonofdad »

Hello,
Sunday morning and not too hung over from the rock show at the Riv. A bunch of Hipbaser's met up at the Hop Leaf -- Peregrine, Dire Wolf (and wife), VioletLightHeron and myself. After a couple Bell's Ambers we headed to the venue.

Sam Roberts had an energetic set, and the crowd was into it but the mix was off. No high end and it was tough to understand what he was singing. His music seems pretty good but I wonder why three guitarists for what are primarily rythm guitar songs?

On to the Hip. This was by far the most energetic crowd for a Chicago Hip show. Gord was in fine form for the first half with numerous rants, motions, mannerisms, etc. Bobby never sounded better--with his white strat and his white shirt. Both Paul and Gord S.'s backround vocals were in fine form--especially during Hundredth Meridian.

Highlights for me were Grace and Poets and I was happy to hear Copenhagen. Those two drum intros really electrified the crowd and contributed to the singing along that occured.

My still unanswered question remains...Why don't they play Heart of the Melt?

Great show according to this biased observer!

sonofdad
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

This was another great effort by The Hip. Chicago rock n' rollers love The Hip there. This was one show where the number of American fans may have equaled or surpassed the Canadians there. The local radio station which sponsored the show plays a lot of Hip and the near sold out Riviera was definitely into the band. I could here the crowd singing to many songs. In fact, Gord let the crowd sing one verse of Courage. When the guys came on to start, Gord greeted everyone with the statement, "Hello Nationalists".

Gord D. continued his battle with the mikestand. A round he definitely won. He started in Courage by saying his mikestand thinks it's made of plasma. He also said the mikestand is "sick of all the shit I say because it's full of stuff it can't understand". Everyone laughed. The bout continued during IOD. Gord was ranting while baiting his mikestand. He was knocking it around and sparring with it like Mohammad Ali would an inferior opponent. During this rant Gord shouted that America needs a change and that you should vote for Kerry. There was a supportive cheer with some negative responses mixed in. Gord qualified his statement by saying, "This is advice from a guy from Canada....which is America's best team". (I think that is what he said).

My favorites were IOD, Josephine and Escape is at Hand... Robbie was particularly hot during his leads tonight. He really tore it up during NOIS. After the end of the main set, Johnny came over and gave his drumsticks to my wife Carolyn. One was chipped and dented and the other was partially cracked. What a great souvenier! She got Johnny to sign them later. The last song of the 1st encore was Blow at High Dough. Gord started by doing a very good Elvis imitation to the beat and rode his motorcycle a bit. Later he began dancing wildly about at a feverish pace then suddenly began moving in slow motion. It was entertaining and funny.

After the show we were able to speak with all the guys except Gord D. I picked up a few tidbits that everyone might find interesting. First, Robbie grew his beard back. Secondly, I noticed Robbie has been playing two new guitars and I asked him about it. He said they were made by a company who used to only make guitar srtings and branched out into making guitars. One is black and the other is white. They are the same model. He said he nicknamed them "Seigfred and Roy". I laughed when I heard that. We cornered Gord S. and quizzed him about the recent setlists. I asked him if Escape was about Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. He said no, Gord D. wrote it about the lead singer from Material Issue who committed suicide. Gord S. went on to say they met Kurt and Nirvana when that band was the opener for them back in the day. We lobbied Gord S. to put Heart of the Melt in again. He said maybe. He told us he was thinking of adding Trickle Down. It looks as if the band will continue to explore their catalogue.

The guys spoke a little of their personnal lives. Robbie said his wife is artistic and enjoys Halloween. She is learning to bend metal so she can create a realistic Bender/Futurama costume for their 10 year old son. Gord S. told us he has 3 sons ages 12, 9 and 7. I grew up in a family of 3 boys, so I can imagine his home life is very busy. I also learned that Paul and Gord S. will get to play a round of golf at Oakland Hills CC (The Monster), where the Ryder Cup was played recently in a Detroit suburb. A former NHL pal of theirs pulled some strings and got them a tee time. It is hard for influential people in Detroit to play there. I think they are looking forward to that.

Finally, one strange thing happened while waiting in line outside the Riv before the show. Carolyn and I met two other couples from our hometown of Livonia, Michigan that were Hip fans. Also a special thanks to John Cage (Chris) who wrestled a big guy to get me a setlist.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

I noticed a change from the setlist posted earlier. I found a small difference in the order the songs were played in my notes and changes on the setlist I have. After Bobcaygeon, (which Gord dedicated to all the girls at the show), Fireworks came next, then Mean Streak and IOD. We Are Family was crossed out in favor of Josephine. The final encore was supposed to be Heaven and then Something On, (again from the setlist), but The Hip actually played Heaven, Escape and Little Bones.

I think the band makes a number of changes to the setlist while they are playing, based on the crowd reaction and how they feel. Just a guess.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

the company that makes robbie's guitars is"Music Man"
gibbytime39
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gibbytime39 »

just got back from a great time in a great city. this was my 19th show and i have never seen them better. gord was really into it and the band all seemed to be having a good time. courage was a really good and the rants and fighting with the mike stand were better than the two previous shows i've seen this tour. this show totally blew away the darien lake and syracuse shows..........by far.
i hope that the video will surface on this show. during little bones gord did this slow motion move and then snapped back into the tune.
i haven't seen that one before and every tune came across as packed with power and emotion.
Hugh23 i wish i could have caught up with you prior to the show. you guys all seemed like cool people to hang out and party with. i was looking for you guys in the show but you had that front row locked down and i was on the opposite side of the stage. next time.
the only drawback to this show was a few assholes in my section.
the fear of spending the night in a chicago jail was all that stopped me from dropping one or two. if you cant handle your booze stick to lemonade!! even my girlfriend was on the verge.
next stop is rochester. this show will be hard to top....it was that good!! hugh, i had planned on hanging out and meeting the band but i dressed terrible for the weather and being all sweaty from the show i was ready for a hot shower.
chicagoblackhawks77
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

10/16/Chi-town

Post by chicagoblackhawks77 »

Solid show. Cannot believe they did inevitability and escape. Good show, not motown though. Who knows? Perhaps the 20 beers I had impaired me. I was the one with the canadian flag singing the national anthem.
hipfan_99
New Maybe
New Maybe

Chicago

Post by hipfan_99 »

Wow is all i can say. I have seen the Hip 14 times and this is the first show that was not at a stadium. Gordie was on all night long....He was arguing with the microphone and saying that anyone could do a better job than the microphone. Thanks for letting us sing Courage...Lots of Canadians at the show and tons of US fans as well. What a great venue and what a good show they put on. If anyone recorded the show, i'd love to download it. Met Bill from Much Music....thanks for waiting to take us backstage. Awesome show and we'll see you in London!
Hipfan_99
And Sam Roberts was good too
txedomoon
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by txedomoon »

"...He said they were made by a company who used to only make guitar srtings and branched out into making guitars. One is black and the other is white."

Speaking to Rob outside the Minneapolis show he mentioned the new guitars were made by Ernie Ball. -- What promted this comment was the fact my friend was so impressed by Rob's Paul Reed Smith guitars he bought one (and loves it) -- When told about this Rob pointed to a guy that just walked on the bus... "Don't let HIM hear that... he's with Ernie Ball." When asked why he's playing the EB's more and more he quipped "Well, I've never seen a free guitar from Paul Reed Smith."
sonofdad
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sonofdad »

We missed you at the Hop Leaf. Glad you enjoyed the show. I was about 15 feet back on Bobby's side.

sonofdad