2004-10-19 - Rochester, NY - Auditorium Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-19 - Rochester, NY - Auditorium Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
tkkarpen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tkkarpen »

Wow... great show, awesome energy from the band. Gord had a few great rants, best version of 100th meridian I've ever heard. Setlist, in no order other than opener and closer...

You're Everywhere
Fully, Completely
Courage
Membership
Mean Streak
100th Meridian
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Gus
Summer Is Killing Us
Goodnight Josephine
Bobcaygeon
Fireworks
Poets
Springtime In Vienna
Ahead By A Century
New Orleans Is Sinking

Encore #1
Vaccination Scar
Wheat Kings
Silver Jet

Encore #2
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Blow At High Dough

"Bring out your dead" - during Poets
During 100th Meridian had trouble with his mic said "I dance the f**k out of this thing, and you can dance the f**k out of anything"

Great set and performance
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

What a damn awesome show. Played a few of my favorite gems...Springtime, Wheat Kings, Silver Jet. Forgot (again) to bring a pen and note the setlist.

Simply amazing versions of 100th, Poets. Gord suggested that Paul start us off on Wheat Kings...something to do with the fact that Gord forgot how to begin.

Silver Jet had this awesome, explosive end where the band just stops playing and Gord just eyes the crowd. :shock:

Saw about a half a dozen or so video cameras on tripods, one or two mics. One of which was right in front of me in row 10 left center at about 8'-9' up. Should be a great recording if its made available to us.

One of the best I've seen in a few years.

Can't wait for New Year! (hopefully!) :thumb:
rich3677
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rich3677 »

Wow..killer show, energy level very high. Gord was ranting like a mad man. Most rants i've seen in a long time. great night.
greenscor
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by greenscor »

This was my 10th show and it was by far the most entertaing show I have attended, It also helped being in the 4th row. I was surprised that they played You're everywhere first, especially seeing Robby going to slide guitar. I assumed they were going to play Vaccination Scar. First time hearing Membership good intro about a river. like the the previous post 100th was best I have ever heard. I hope for those who were taping the show that they will make it availble to everyone.

I beileve there were no songs from DFN Music at Work or Road Apples. That did not deter from the setlist which I thought was great.

Now the only question is should I make the trip from Buffalo to Albany in one night and then work the next morning.
BuffaloMike
New Maybe
New Maybe

Excellent

Post by BuffaloMike »

Great show. Thanks to thecompletist for hooking me up w/5th row seats. Definitely the best 100th Meridian I have ever heard.
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

"You can dance the f**k out of anything...as long as you can fix it"

Gord was awsome. He was ranting and dancing all night. This was my 8th show and have only been close enough to see Gords freaks once at the 9:30 club in DC, but we had 2nd row balcony and those are killer seats. We were able to see his eyes and how comanding and strange he really is. :scratch: 100th was one of the best things I have ever seen live from any band. Gord totally forgetting how to start Wheat was funny also. He'd head to the mic then go back to Paul and then go to the mic and back to Paul again. Remembering lyrics were not his strong point for this show. Seen around 6-7 peolpe taping so hope they all turn out good and circulate. SEE THIS BAND LIVE :thumb:

Go Sabres....damn.......Amerks
bolivarbill
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bolivarbill »

Really enjoyed the show. Might have created a convert to the hip? Brought a friend along who enjoys live shows, he never really knew much about the band( though I've talked about them as long as I've known him). He was quite impressed at the energy, musicianship and lighting(even). Nice place for a show, had some great seats in the loge section! A tad tired this a.m. after the drive home. Hope to hear it again, soon!
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

great show listen ing to my recording right now sounds damn good
should have it transfer to disk later today

also took three rolls of film so another thing to get done toda
man i have never seen robbie shred like that before that was god damn great

sam roberts kick ass as well especially when he started chanting hip, hip, hip

ron
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

Wednesday, October 20, 2004
Setlist - Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, NY Oct 19, 2004

You're Everywhere
Fully, Completely
Poets
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Ahead By A Century
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Membership
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Bobcaygeon
Fireworks
Mean Streak
At The Hundredth Meridian
Goodnight Josephine
Springtime In Vienna
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Vaccination Scar
Wheat Kings
Silver Jet

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Blow At High Dough
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Well this was show #48 or 49 for me (I'll have to check).... this one stood out from many over the last few years.....for a few reasons.

We ended up front row which always helps... right in front of Paul....
This building has had major upgrades since the last time I was there and the sound was amazing. We sat in the balcony for Sam Roberts and they sounded awesome.

You're Everywhere - which is one of my fav's right now to start the show off was just what I needed.... they looked rested and ready to rock! In short...the first 10 songs for me were just STELLAR... in presentation, energy and the order chosen.... Fireworks was perfect for me as a washroom break and then back out for the final 10 songs which were full of rants, smiles and one hell of a 100th Meridian...

Gord D is much more confident and loose with his guitar in hand now... bouncing and kicking while playing and delivering the songs... the one stand-out of course for those Phantam Power fans... was none other than MEMBERSHIP.... wow... the vocals and music reminded me of that tour so much... "bring on the butterscotch river overspilling its banks"

Thanks for nailing that one & the rest of the show guys! It was worth the drive from Toronto!

---------> From the front row - We were first out the side door and walked around the bus and there was Bobby just coming out the door and ... we gave him the "great-show-bobby" and he gave us the "arm-up & nod" as he entered the bus and we "h e a d e d for h o m e"

Jeffro
Last edited by thecompletist on Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Did you notice the only people sitting in the whole place were the people in the front row in the center section?
Seemed kinda weird.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

INCREDIBLE SHOW!

Started by meeting Bob and Fran in the lobby...got to our seats a little later only to find that they were sitting directly in front of us. Great meeting you guys! Onto the show. You're Everywhere was a big surprise to open. When Gord started into Fully you could tell he was really into it. It was like he was dancing on air. I knew then we were in for an amazing show. Highlights for me were the Everywhere/Fully/Poets/Gus opening (the place was electric!), Meridian (great rant!) and Blow was one of best versions, I've ever heard! After the response to playing Nashville, Gord says "maybe it can be Nashville every night". Great venue, great people and The Band!
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

This one sounds like a keeper, I hope they did record it.

Anybody have the details of Paul leading off Wheat Kings? Did he actually sing: "Sun down..." through his teeth, or did he just yell the first words at Gord like Sinclair usually does?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Downie walked up to Paul after a minute - then came back to the mic and said - "I had to go ask Paul for the first word"
Then Gord started the song.

Also, during NOIS I thought there would be no break/jam because he started up with the "Pale as a light bulb hanging on a wire" then after this verse he started singing a different song for a minute or two - then he went right back to "hands in the river"
So he just broke the song in a different place.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana