2004-10-25 - Towson, MD - Recher Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-25 - Towson, MD - Recher Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thenuts
New Maybe
New Maybe

Anyone going?

Post by thenuts »

Only holds 700...should be a nice little venue.
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Is anyone else making the trek? Only 5 more days! :jump

-Jenna
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Well, just got home from the show and my overall impression was that it sucked...Highlights were flamenco & It's a good life...Oh yeah and the place had the AC on.....that's about it.. They taped the vent close above the stage so gordie was happy.....Bummers of the show: Same ol setlist minus family, blow & grace too... ABAC all you heard for a good part was a guitar way too loud....NOIS, gords guitar was having problems and he seemed pissed, going way too fast to even enjoy the song.... Throughout the whole show gords voice seemed beat and it seemed like he was even talking the lyrics at some points to make it easier on himself.....not many rants and not as animated as other shows I have seen this year. Crowd sucked, finally getting into it at the end. I think they need to take a couple of extra days between shows to sleep and relax.
Sam was great and I had a good time, I just think the hip should spice it up a bit.
Look forward to other views, hopefully I was the only one who was disappointed....
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

The A/C was on??? Thats a shocker. Does Downie normally request that the A/C be off when they play so it doesnt mess up his voice
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

yep
chancellor wrote:The A/C was on??? Thats a shocker. Does Downie normally request that the A/C be off when they play so it doesnt mess up his voice
SteveHebe
New Maybe
New Maybe

What Show were YOU at??

Post by SteveHebe »

I was in Cleveland, New York, & Philly so far and this show was the best! It ROCKED!!

Great, small venue. Yes the AC was on. I thought the sound was VERY good!

I thought the band played with an edge I have not heard up to this point. They cut some songs short, but Bobby was really tearing things up. The setlist seemed have a nice flow to it. Flamenco was a real nice treat! :D

On the ride back from BWI, picking up a friend in from Buffalo, I was commenting to him that the setlist seemed to be getting stale and a little predictable. I was very pleased to hear them change things up. Yeah, there could be more variety, but why complain?

I thought the crowd was interesting. There were obviously a lot of fringe hipsters or "newbies" at the show, but they all got sucked in by the end! Actually the roar they got at the end of the show was fantastic!
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

brian1175 wrote:Well, just got home from the show and my overall impression was that it sucked
:( I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the show! The setlist wasn't the most original, but Gord seemed to have a lot of energy, ranting and rambling, and in good form. I didn't even know that the AC had been turned on, I was smashed against the barricade in front of Gord S. Me, my boyfriend, his sister, and their father and I made it into Towson around quarter to six. We had dinner at The Rec Room, which was adjacent to the theatre. Not a bad place, the nachos were awesome. We ate, and got in line for the doors around 6:45. I'd say there were about 20 people lined up, give or take. Jon and I were in early enough to get to the front of the stage. We chatted with the fans around us...I didn't talk to anyone who knew of hipbase. I was sort of surprised, I thought there'd at least be some lurkers. Sam Roberts and company were awesome. True rock stars. The hip took the stage around 9:15, after the air vents bu the stage had been taped up. It made for quite a warm evening. I will agree with Brian that the setlist lacked variety, but the quality of the show was great. We got lots of good pictures that I will post as soon as Jon sends them to me. We met a very nice couple, who I believe, was from Vancouver. If you guys are on hipbase, and read this, we have your e-mail address and will send some photos soon! There were a few assholes up front that catapulted towards us in the middle of the set. I had to contest with two girls who felt it was best to enjoy the show by throwing elbows into the person next to you. Grrrrrr. A very gracious and well-traveled hip fan (whose name escapes me at the moment...) took pity on me and scooted me up front for the encore. Good Life was excellent. The hip exited after Joe (contrary to the original setlist, which had Something On, after Joe) and the sticks and setlists were handed out. I lingered for awhile with some others who had made their way up from the back. The soundboard guy took special care to hand me his setlist, which completely made my night. I'll scan and post it sometime later this week. I'll add details as I remember them. Thanks for listening all!

-Jenna
golden_rim
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by golden_rim »

We got to theatre around 3 to check it out and Bobby and Gord S. walked right out in front of us. We met them but my night was just getting started. The show was great except for NOIS was rushed and Gord seemed unhappy.
No songs from Day For Night which sucked but I played them on the juke box at the bar later.
Speaking of the bar, Johnny was the first one to arrive. I talked to him for about 10 minutes about the songs and stuff. Such a nice guy. We had him sign a drumstick that we got but he said it wasn't his (Sam Robert's band I guess). I asked him if he'd heard of hipbase - he said "no" but he'd check it out. I was pretty drunk so if Johnny's reading this, sorry if I was kind of obnoxious.
About a half an hour (and 4 shots) later, Gord D. and Paul come in to the bar. I talked to Gord D. for about fifteen miuntes, I tried to ask intellegent questions but now that I think of it, I was just being rude not letting him relax after the show. He was so courteous through my drunken questions, he finally just said, "I'm going to go over there now".
Hip Rule
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

where's the setlist?
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Strange... thehip.com were extremely efficient at posting setlists a few hours after the end of the show, and now the last two US shows haven't shown up for at least a day after the show. Maybe the guy who posts them is on vacation or something???

Nick
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

The setlist I snagged says:

Everywhere
Fully
M@W
Gus
ABAC
Copenhagen
Courage
Summer
BobC
Fireworks
Nashville
Meridian
Flamenco
Heaven
Poets
NOIS
Encore 1
Scar
Good Life
Bones
Encore 2
Joe
Something On

They omitted something on...I know that much. I'll try to remember more in detail. :thumb:

-Jenna
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Jenna_Bird wrote: Encore 2
Joe
Something On

They omitted something on...I know that much. I'll try to remember more in detail. :thumb:

-Jenna
They probably omitted Something On because there was "something on" that was supposed to be off...the AC!

On a serious note, it looks like a great set as usual. Flamenco is a great tune! It is like every third show they pull something out of nowhere like that. Wonder what's next.
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Im glad to hear everyone else enjoyed the show. Maybe I am being to hard but I thought I would post how I really felt. I think the 3 main things that make a good show: 1. The energy 2. The Setlist 3. The crowd
I just thought this show lacked in all 3 categories. Also I think not getting the last song kinda sent me home alittle disappointed

On a side note, I didn't meet any hipbasers or see any shirts either....
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Oh oh, and as an addition to my previous posting, I got to meet Sam Roberts. What a wonderful guy. He stopped and chatted for awhile, and told us that he missed being home. I found that rather endearing. The rest of the band was also really gracious, signing CDs and such for anyone who asked.

-Jenna