2004-10-26 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House Of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-26 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House Of Blues

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

Any other hipbasers planning on going to this show? I'm going to be in Myrtle Beach next week and will definitely be going! The 2 shows I have been to this year have been Ottawa and Kingston, so this should be somewhat of a smaller crowd. :thumb:
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

Setlist - House Of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC Oct 26, 2004
You're Everywhere
Courage
Fully, Completely
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Nautical Disaster
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Summer's Killing Us
Springtime In Vienna
Are We Family
Something On
As Makeshift As We Are
At The Hundredth Meridian
Memebership
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
New Orleans Is Sinking
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Wheat Kings
Fireworks

2nd Encore:
Grace, Too
Vaccination Scar
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

weak, very very weak
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

-Everywhere as an opener
-Courage as song # 2
-Vaccination Scar as a closer
-Something On, Membership, Are we Family

21 songs in a small venue...what more do you want?

Maybe you should join the Ashlee Simpson fan club.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

I agree! A Hip setlist is never, EVER, EVER weak. Shame on you!
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

yeah right...you keep telling yourself that. The same damn setlist everynight except for 1 or 2 songs. Ive seen last nights show 3 times this year...in my eyes that pretty weak. I

Ashlee simpson fan club member 00000016
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

I agree

Post by laskosean »

I agree. Very weak setlist. 3 or four years ago the hip were changing up 10-12 songs a night with only one true staple - NOIS.

Now you're lucky if they change 4 or 5 plus you have an additional 7 "staples":
Courage
Meridian
Grace
Nautical
M @ Work
Bobcaygeon
Fireworks?????

The only songs on that list I'm not yet sick of are Grace and Meridian.

Lets go boys....you have 10 albums worth of songs....lets dig a little deeper into that catalogue, shall we?
SteveHebe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: I agree

Post by SteveHebe »

Lets go boys....you have 10 albums worth of songs....lets dig a little deeper into that catalogue, shall we?
And there it is... The crowd turns ugly.

Hey, you have options...Stay the F#$% home and listen to your albums!
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: I agree

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

SteveHebe wrote:
And there it is... The crowd turns ugly.

Hey, you have options...Stay the F#$% home and listen to your albums!
we shoulndt have too...what happened to these guys. i really do enjoy going to hip shows but the last 3, well 2 i guess really left a sour taste in my mouth. I dont get why they cant mix it up alittle more each night. What next...they dont even show up and we watch a pre-recorded show displayed on the jumbotron. Epecially when they start charging 60-75$ a ticket...
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

i like seeing people get angry about shows they weren't even at...
shaun
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by shaun »

Put yourself in my shoes...Relocated down south 8 years ago and I have only been able to catch them four times since (three times at the HOB venue) and the shows just aren't the same as up north. With that said, I get a really good feeling when they play, as you call them "staples" and the energy just explodes. And since I see them every couple years, those staples never get old.

Now for a review of the show, this is a great venue for a more intimate show and there isn't a bad spot in the whole place as far as getting a great view of the band. The band seemed especially loud tonight and gord was a little muffled as a result. The new material took on a totally different vibe once you heard it live and the songs were nicely shuffled between old and new material. Highlights for me included Wheat Kings, Fireworks, and Hundredth Meridian. All in all, I really enjoyed myself. It amazes me that at 34 years old, I still enjoy them as much as I did when I was twenty. That in my opinion, is what makes The Hip so special. I can't wait to see them next time (probably a couple of years...that sucks)
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

what a great show!

got to hob around 5 for dinner, the hip were playing their soundcheck but there was no way to get in the concert hall. it was hard to hear over the music that was being played on the patio, but i did hear weaken and fireworks, and i thought they also did fight. you could sit on the patio right outside the front door, sam roberts did his soundcheck around 6. lots of hockey discussion outside, sens fans were definitely a minority. at least the leafs won't be able to beat us in the playoffs this year.

talking to staff before the show, this guy said that the place held 2500 but they were only expecting 500 people. i think about 450 were canadian. they let people in at 7, if you ate there you were allowed to jump the barricade, basically you got in one line and were the first ones in. we just grabbed a table near the soundboard. at any point you could literally walk down and find a spot right at the front.

sam roberts band were amazing, from the people i talked to, they made a few new fans last night. the setlist was (not in order):

no sleep
hard road
brother down
where have all the good people gone?
dead end
don't walk away eileen
paranoia

i snuck a camera in, which got taken during something on! i did get it back after the show, hopefully the photos turn out good. managed a few of the hip before it was taken. i'll find a place to post them once i get them. not sure what the complaints about the setlist are for, this was the third time i've seen them this year, and having not seen them on the PP tour, this was the first time i ever saw membership :thumb: this is one of my favourite hip songs, and it rocked! i mean, 5 songs off FC, 3 of PP, i'm certainly happy! i spoke with the guy taping, also named matt, he was from toronto, hopefully i'll get a copy at some point in the future.

as i was leaving, i saw sam roberts near the bar, got to meet him. we chatted for a bit, i really want to see one of their full shows. unfortunately no pictures (see above!)

after the show, met 4/5 of the hip. talked with bobby baker for a while. i asked about fighter fighter and the other unreleased stuff, and he said that while the hip want to record a new album next year, they are under contract to release a greatest hits/box set :shock: , and that those songs would likely end up on there. i also asked about releasing cleveland in the hip live series so we would have a release of fighter, and he said that they record all their shows and that it was a good idea to put that one out, so we'll see. anyway, next stop, second row, ottawa civic centre. :rambo:

cheers
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

opiated wrote:i like seeing people get angry about shows they weren't even at...
not angry, just disappointed...and it isnt at last nights show...who the f**k cares...but they are rolling around toronto soon an i hope not to see last nights setlist...whatever... i think ive blead this topic to death...nothing will change, maybe being at the godsmack/metallica show tonight will make me realize i would rather be seeing the hip :lol:
LIVELOVEtheHIP
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by LIVELOVEtheHIP »

Re: "yeah right...you keep telling yourself that. The same damn setlist everynight except for 1 or 2 songs. Ive seen last nights show 3 times this year...in my eyes that pretty weak"

If you are going to every show, you are obviously going to hear some of the same songs. Many bands play the exact same setlist at every venue...I know- I work at an arena and have heard artists do three consecutive shows that are IDENTICAL in every way possible, right down to the "off-the-cuff" jokes and comments that were always exactly the same. I think it speaks volumes that TTH change it up every night. I am sure they would send a heartfelt apology if they knew how their hard work and "bad" choices were affecting you personally...

They have thousands of people to play to, most of whom are not fortunate enough to attend numerous shows. As I have said before, I quite frankly wouldn't care if I heard the same song all night, I just love being there.

[/list][/quote]