2004-10-26 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House Of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

laskosean wrote:Musicians who play similar shows night-in night-out:
N-Sync
Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears

Musicians who change up their sets every night:
Phish
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
DMB

Enough said.
Musicians who play(ed) similar shows night-in night-out:
Our Lady Peace
John Mellancamp - Setlist pre-printed in tour book, including info about stories he told between songs.
Bruce Springsteen
Nirvana
U2 - www.u2setlists.com

As Rick Springfield said, "the point is probably moot!"
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

Are you really backing Mellencamp and OLP?????

Give me a break.

U2-Big show with lost of special effects - songs HAVE TO BE similar every night for that types of gig

Nirvana - strung out on Heroin every show, can you blame them?

The Boss - well, you have me there. Bruce also could use a good kick in the pants!
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

I could be mistaken, but I thought The Boss was renown for mixing up setlists and whipping out ancient cuts from deep inside his 'non-single' catalogue? My brother (huge Springsteen fan) has said that he never knows what to expect at one of his shows, and that none of his material is 'off-limits' ......

Speaking of mixing up setlists, this is part of the reason I love Widespread Panic so much - their concerts are spectacular, and they pull out all sorts of old cuts all the time. I've seen maybe 15 shows, and if I filled in a comprehensive checklist of all their songs I've seen them do in those shows, it would be very evenly distributed....
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

laskosean wrote:Are you really backing Mellencamp and OLP?????

Give me a break.

U2-Big show with lost of special effects - songs HAVE TO BE similar every night for that types of gig

The Boss - well, you have me there. Bruce also could use a good kick in the pants!
I love it; now you're attacking me and my choices because they disprove your theory.

This is getting tiresome and juvenile.
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

chris wrote:
laskosean wrote:Are you really backing Mellencamp and OLP?????

Give me a break.

I love it; now you're attacking me and my choices because they disprove your theory.

This is getting tiresome and juvenile.

No, the fact that you're comparing the Hip to OLP and Mellencamp is ludicrous.

The Hip are KNOWN as an AMAZING LIVE ACT. OLP and Mellencamp are not.

I've actually had a chance to see OLP on a few occasions (opening for others), and I can attest to the fact that they were GOD AWFUL. They have a rep for being a terrible live act. As does Mellencamp.

All posts mentioned previously reflect great bands: Pearl Jam, Widespread Panic, etc. The fact that you even compare Mellencamp & OLP to the hip totally dismisses any credibility you have. Period.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

I went to a MOE. show last night - my first one.
Great setlist - was it the one from the night before - I do not know - I do not care.
I was just thrilled to be seeing one of my favorite bands - and hearing some damn good songs.
This topic popped in my head as I was watching the show - I thought about all the first,second timers at a Hip show - they must be having as great as a time as I did last night. They do not care what was played yesterday or tomorrow.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

laskosean wrote:No, the fact that you're comparing the Hip to OLP and Mellencamp is ludicrous.

I've actually had a chance to see OLP on a few occasions (opening for others), and I can attest to the fact that they were GOD AWFUL. They have a rep for being a terrible live act. As does Mellencamp.

All posts mentioned previously reflect great bands: Pearl Jam, Widespread Panic, etc. The fact that you even compare Mellencamp & OLP to the hip totally dismisses any credibility you have. Period.
[Read this in a George Bush vioce]OK laskosean, I think you're flip-flopping.
laskosean forget that s/he wrote:Musicians who play similar shows night-in night-out:
N-Sync
Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
So it's OK for you to compare The Hip to the aforementioned bands, but for me to mention OLP & Mellancamp dismisses my credibility. That's laughable.

You are confusing "opinion" and "fact." You have stated your opinion on Pearl Jam, Widespread Panic, OLP and Mellancamp. Your opinion may not be that of the masses (as indicated by record sales) but that's a whole other topic.

So's your face. (I think the TV show, "Scrubs" is great. That's an opinion.)
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

kids, enough already! Next will be straight to you room no tv ,no radio,and, no god damn dinner

Ron :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I'm done. Thanks Ron. :)
jontaylor
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Canadian Tour

Post by jontaylor »

I agree the set lists aren't changing enough like they should be, but remember, the Canadian tour hasn't started yet. Watch out, i guarantee a lot of old gems will be brough out this time around.
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

chris wrote:
laskosean wrote:Musicians who play similar shows night-in night-out:
N-Sync
Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears

Musicians who change up their sets every night:
Phish
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
DMB

Enough said.

Musicians who play(ed) similar shows night-in night-out:
Our Lady Peace
John Mellancamp - Setlist pre-printed in tour book, including info about stories he told between songs.
Bruce Springsteen
Nirvana
U2 - www.u2setlists.com

As Rick Springfield said, "the point is probably moot!"
Not to get the argument going again, but you cannot compare a Hip concert in a small club in the US to U2 preforming their shows. Watch any of their DVDs, Live from Mexico, or Zoo TV from Australia and you will see.
Last edited by prz on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

chris wrote:
laskosean wrote:No, the fact that you're comparing the Hip to OLP and Mellencamp is ludicrous.

[Read this in a George Bush vioce]OK laskosean, I think you're flip-flopping.
laskosean forget that s/he wrote:Musicians who play similar shows night-in night-out:
N-Sync
Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
So it's OK for you to compare The Hip to the aforementioned bands, but for me to mention OLP & Mellancamp dismisses my credibility. That's laughable.

You are confusing "opinion" and "fact." You have stated your opinion on Pearl Jam, Widespread Panic, OLP and Mellancamp. Your opinion may not be that of the masses (as indicated by record sales) but that's a whole other topic.

So's your face. (I think the TV show, "Scrubs" is great. That's an opinion.)

You are saying that its ok for the Hip to play the same show because Mellencamp and OLP do it. And they're rock-on great!!!!!!! :thumb:

I'm saying that because the boys choose to play the same show nightin-night out, they're becoming like the good'ole crappy OLP and Mellencamp (or Britney or NSync).

Big difference in statements.
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: Canadian Tour

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

jontaylor wrote:I agree the set lists aren't changing enough like they should be, but remember, the Canadian tour hasn't started yet. Watch out, i guarantee a lot of old gems will be brough out this time around.
i would bet against you on that...
greenscor
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by greenscor »

My 2 favorite bands are The Tragically hip and Rush.

Rush Play the same set list night in and night out, That is my only beef I have with them, I know that the music that they have to put out is more difficult especially with all of the sampling and triggering of effects.

So when it comes to the Hip I have no reason to complain. My ony question is do I drive to Toledo from Buffalo tonight too see the concert?
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

I can't for the life of me figure out why people complain about the setlists so much...You know what they play..you know what they don't play...take your chances, shut the hell up and enjoy the shows or stay home so you'll have nothing to complain about. Ungreatful bastards.