2004-10-29 - Toledo, OH - The Bijou

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

smadabeer
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by smadabeer »

I think Hugh pretty much covered everything!

Thought the show was great, but having a few beers with the boys was an excellent way to end the experience...
joehipfan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Toledo Rocks

Post by joehipfan »

Awesome show, once again. Definitely worth the 5 hour drive. The setlist wasn't much different from the other shows I've seen this tour, but the energy was great and they nailed every song. I guess I was just about the only one from Buffalo. No one else cheered during "At The 100th Meridian".
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

Well it was a great show, and a crazy day for me. First, I was locked in grid lock getting into the city in the late afternoon. Why was that? Because the highway was closed for Bush to get into the city, so I watched as his limo flew by for the first time.

Second, after getting picking up my tickets at will call and watching a bit of their soundcheck, I was told by a plains clothes officer to move out of the area (I was trying to catch the guys out back by their bus), as Bush was once again going to be coming through. So I got to watch as the President once again fly by me on the streets of Toledo.

Third, as I was talking to some kid who worked at the Bijou he told me to go eat at Jackson's ( some little bar/grill behind the club) so we go there to eat and who rolls in to eat? None of than Langlois and Sinclair. So I literally ate my dinner beside them and chatted a bit. Absolutely amazing They were super nice and kept saying they really apprecate the fans that make the trek over the boarder to catch their shows. Finally onto the show, great show, Gord had a few rants and was up to his usual dancing antics during 100th. Also, it was great hearing greasy again live.... Gordie seemed to be really getting pissed off about all the broken strings on his guitar. Question, did anyone hear some guy on the floor keep yelling with a sign in between songs about someone being sick and trying to get the bands attention?

It still amazes me after seeing the Hip 4 times in the US versus the 10 plus times in Canada that the crowds are so small. Its so nice to be right up at the very front to watch them in a bar that I dont even thinks hold 1000. What a day!!!!
akoso
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by akoso »

Quick Summary: Incredible concert.

Detailed Summary: Gord came out looking extra "relaxed", but instead of acting mellow, he seemd to really wanna rock out right from the get go.

Although I don't think I've been to a concert where Poets wasn't played, it was exceptionally good in Toledo. Gord said we were all blades of grass and he kept pretending to push us aside as if he was swimming through the grass looking for something. He kept saying he couldn't find who he was looking for and then jumped back all startled when he found "her", glad to see that she was safe. On top of this, as Hugh mentioned, Paul took over on lead. I was standing right in between Paul and Gord and I thought I noticed Paul playing lead, but had no idea why. It wasn't until after the show that Hugh told me that Bobby's gear had cut out on him. I told Paul after the show that it was awesome to see him take over, as he really did a great job.

Greasy Jungle was a great surprise and they rocked it out without a flaw.

With all of the equipment problems and "potential haunted venue" as Hugh explained, it was very fitting that Gord's guitar wouldn't work on the last song. Billy Ray continually tried to fix the guitar until Gord gave up, looked back at Billy (sitting in front of Johnny, messing with the guitar) and said "Alright folks, Billy's gonna play guitar on this one... maybe take over some vocals too". Very classic.

All in all, the set list was great and it was great seeing Hugh again. I also had a chance to talk to Chris (John Cage) for a bit while waiting for the boys downstairs. I took a bunch of pics and will post the link to them as soon as they're up.
troublewithnames
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by troublewithnames »

I just had to post this picture...how sweet.

I'm glad I didn't realize that Bush was going to be in Toledo or I would've never gone up there...what a mess. The concert was great. The Hip always has such good opening bands.

I wish that the Hip got more promotion here in the states too. Before I discovered them because of a friend I now have that lives in Calgary, the only time I ever heard of them was watching ice skater, Kurt Browning.

Here is the link to the rest of the photos I took if anyone wants to see them.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v411/trou ... ip-toledo/
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

This show had a lot of Spinal Tap moments, what with all the equipment issues. I'm surprised Johnny didn't have a blowout of a drum head or the neck didn't snap off Gord's bass, the way things were going! Not mentioned yet, Paul's noise gate had a hiccup during the beginning of Fireworks when he and Johnny are the only ones playing, so there was only drums for around eight measures. It was weird. Well, at least they didn't get caught in any pods or have someone dressed as Summer Sanders running around trying to knife them (in the big production number a la Stonehenge)!

I thought there might be more political ranting here since W. was nearby but it didn't happen.

Good to meet Anthony and Jay. And of course, there's Hugh and Carolyn and Suzie. And a bunch more people I've met earlier in the tour that aren't on hipbase. Tres fun.