2004-10-30 - Grand Rapids, MI - Orbit Room

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-30 - Grand Rapids, MI - Orbit Room

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Who's attending?

Post by cochise »

Was just curious how many Hip basers here will be attending the Grand Rapids Show??

Anyone know of a good "pre" or "post" show drinking hole nearby??
snuffy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by snuffy »

i'm hittin the GR show! Bringin along 4 hip nubies and 1 hip lover along with me. I dont know GR that good...I have a wedding reception before the show anyhow.
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

We're planning on catching the show too!

Been to GR on business although, I have no idea about decent watering holes?

Haing the opportunity to see both a summer show and US tour show I feel blessed. So I won't dissapoint everyone with my setlist hopes!

And if I had a single request to suggest ... it just might be 38 Years Old!!
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Setlist - Orbit Room, Grand Rapids, MI Oct 30, 2004
LAST SHOW OF THE TOUR!

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
700 ft. Ceiling
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Membership
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Poets
At The Hundredth Meridian
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Inevitability Of Death
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
You're Everywhere
Springtime In Vienna
Fireworks

2nd Encore:
Are You Ready
Blow At High Dough
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Is it me or is that a short setlist!

But IOD, 700 and membership without NOIS kicks major ass!!
Nice set
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

gratts99 wrote:...without NOIS kicks major ass!!
Check again. About three songs down...
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

The setlist for this show could arguably be rated as one of the best of the US tour. It was a great mix of new songs, old favorites and 4 songs that I haven't heard often. The 4 tunes that made this setlist special for me were 700 ft. Ceiling, Membership, IOD and Flamenco. The Orbit Room is literally one huge room. The crowd was dominated by Canadians as usual. There was a big contingent of students from nearby Calvin College. I learned it was a Methodist college with a large Canadian population. They made a good size mosh pit of 50 people in front of Gord D.'s mikestand. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, a few crowd surfers and one crazy student who wore a Team Canada jersey, hockey helmet and hockey gloves. He was crashing into everyone and others were "checking" him back. There were Americans from Detroit, Chicago, and some from as far away as Minnesota. There was high energy even before the band appeared. When The Hip took the stage the mosh pit was at fever pitch.

Gord D. has been fighting a cold this last week of the tour and it sapped a bit of his energy in Toledo. He appeared a bit under the weather as this show began. Gord feed off the energy that the flag waving Canadians were giving off. He was all about the stage during Poets, singing directly to the screaming Canuks. Gord was in top form during 100th Meridian. He was dancing wildly and strutting the "peacock" back and forth in front of Johnny's drums. One funny part during Flamenco was when Gord sang the lines, " Maybe I'll go to New York....I'll drag you there". He raised his middle finger and flipped off himself and everyone else singing, "No one drags me anywhere". At the end of the main set Gord gave a heart felt 'thank you' to the audience and extra kudos to all the crazy Canadians in front who got him over the hump, inspiring his great performance last night. All of The Hip have been giving a good performance night in and night out for the past 45 days. They deserve a good rest. All of us who will see The Hip on the Canadian tour have something to look forward to.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

Wow, Gord was extremely hyped up tonight! I had (in my opinion) the best spot in the house... My brother and I were right in front of Paul Langlois, and I honestly wouldn't have traded the spot for anything. The only problem was the drunk bastards next to me (no offense if this was you) but damn- that was the only part of the show that could have been better for me. Actually I take that back, if they had played Family it would have been better as well.

What were some other peoples' favorite songs of the night? I don't know what mine is, probably Poets because that song seemed to really get him going...

I was also at the Detroit show, and this kicked that show's ass... my brother went to Toledo and said this was much better

I wish people would stfu when Gord is ranting, it'd be much more enjoyable if you could hear him... but what can you do? Most of his rants seemed to be pissed off at the microphone again ("Microphones aren't worth jack!") Anyone else pick up on other rants?

Funny thing during Music@Work, there was some disturbance in the crowd, and Gord pointed to the antagonists as he sang "and the dummies might be right" Haha!

Awesome venue, though. Can't believe I didn't mention Sam Roberts! He was excellent, a true performer
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I guess they forgot to put Flamenco on the set on thehip.com.... when did they play it?

Nick
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

The only problem was the drunk bastards next to me (no offense if this was you) but damn- that was the only part of the show that could have been better for me.
Geez, that was right near me, I hope I wasn't the guy you were talking about! I had a few drinks and was singing along, but don't remember bothering anyone. Everyone was having a great time aside from the idiot trying to push his way through during M@W. As soon as the security guy got up on the gate to see what was going on, the guy ran away like a little kid............lol

Anyways, great night all in all. Flamenco was definitely played, just can't remember exactly where it fit into the overall set list.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

nhaste wrote:I guess they forgot to put Flamenco on the set on thehip.com.... when did they play it?

Nick
Flamenco was played after Poets. :thumb:
ChicagoPaully
New Maybe
New Maybe

Set List - Corrected

Post by ChicagoPaully »

Hello all. First time poster, long time Hip fanatic. Was at the GR show last night, and noticed the setlist that is listed here isn't correct. Managed to get the set list from the sound guy. Here's the corrected list (in Sinclair-short hand)
1 Scar
2 Grace
3 New O
4 Gus
5 Good Life
6 700 Ft
7 Summer
8 Courage
9 Membership
10 Heaven
11 Poets
12 Nashville
13 Meridian
14 Flamenco
15 IOD
16 Music

1st Encore:
Every
Spring
Fireworks

2nd Encore:
Ready
Blow
(I'll attach a photo of the list tomorrow)
Great Show! Caught them in Chicago back on the 16th, and this one definitely measured up! Great job by Sam and the boys too!
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

The setlist order was switched - Flamenco arrowed in after Poets, then Meridian, then Nashville. I've got a photo of Gord S. playing the bass line on Flamenco taken before photos of Meridian (plus Hugh knows this stuff).

First time hearing 700ft live! Killer version of Flamenco. I'm glad Good Life was 5th - that got the wankers behind us to settle down.

The rant in Courage was directed at the guy in the hockey gear. I think Gord was saying something along the lines of, "yeah you may look cool, hockey-boy, but yer an arsehole for all that crashing around."

Good show to end this part of the tour.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The rant in Courage was directed at the guy in the hockey gear. I think Gord was saying something along the lines of, "yeah you may look cool, hockey-boy, but yer an arsehole for all that crashing around."
:thumb: :thumb:
That's awesome!