2004-10-21 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-21 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

I got home about 3am-ish and my neck still hurts from craning to see the stage, my voice is hoarse, my feet are killing me, and I'm exhausted!!!

But I still had to come on here and tell all about the show!

I wish I had the setlist. However, TheHip.com is having technical difficulties. It would be cool if mods or Lance stuck the set list into this post later. Or I will if I get to it first

ANYWAY....it was AMAZING! This was of course my first hip show and WOW. Everyone was ON and they looked like they were having a blast tonight. Well, except for Paul, he didn't look real well.

So, the did...in no particular order

Everywhere(opening song)
Lake Fever
Fully Completely
Josephine
Makeshift
Nashville
Bobcaygeon
Courage
Springtime in Vienna
Nautical Disaster
M@W
Vaccination Scar(2nd encore)
NOIS
ABAC(one of the encores)
ATHM
Gus
Blow (closer)
Poets
Summer
Heaven
Fireworks(one of the encores)

That's all I can remember....

Anyway. WOW, that's all i can say is WOW. I knew all of the words, sang along, danced, bopped my head, took pics, it was GREAT!

I do believe Gord got all of the words right. However, there was the time when he was on stage and started to talk about Gus and then stopped and said something to the effect that there was another song they were going to do but it had nothing to do with a polar bear. Then he asked the band if they were doing Gus, and they did Gus.

Also, he did the "swim" rant during Poets.

He was hard to understand when he was ranting, I wish I had been able to understand!

He told a story about his ear was filled with water and that caused him to screw up the end of 'Springtime'. Which at the end he said "I'm not going to apologize so f**k you" :lol:

Gord ALMOST lost the mic stand, it was pretty funny. He also did the "Music at Work" move with it too. You know, where he knocks it over and brings it back up with his foot. During Music At Work OF COURSE! :-D

There was a reporter there from the Times Union doing a story and I made sure to make a plug for the Hipbase there!!!!

Now to the backstage part:

Paul looks like he's growing a moustache, or maybe he just wasn't feeling well. He slipped past us backstage

Robbie's facial hair is back and he's lookin GOOD. He's SO nice and wonderful. He's like HUGE! As in tall and pretty darned solid. We talked religion and his slide guitar playing. He also mentioned that if it wasn't for the band he would have gone to school to study art and theology and wanted to become a MINISTER!!!

Gord D needs to cut his hair again, he's lookin a bit shaggy. He was of course really baked. He loved the book.

here's me giving him the book

BTW, he has 'a rotation of three shirts' for the shows, so he doesn't wear the same one every night. And they are 'laundered quite often'. He also said that he lost his green shirt. He LOVED that shirt and would still be wearing it today for shows if he still had it. He signed my IVL CD with "To Wendy, Lefties have rights too G. Downie" because I had mentioned I was a fellow lefty. He started to talk to me about the hipbase but got distracted.

Gord S was a bit drunk, however wonderful. We talked about the Hipbase and he remembered meeting Lance.

Johnny was great too! He was the first one out and the camera was misbehaving and he actually let me have THREE TRIES to get the stupid camera to take the pic! He's going to be up here this winter in Lake Placid skiing!!! He of course refused to shake hands, says his hands were bleeding. I told the story about the guy who picked his nose later to the people who were there waiting with us.

The tour manager was quite the bitch at first when the 'contest' winners go to go backstage and meet the guys. However, she was nice the rest of the night.

Got to see Billy Bob, or is it Ray, MANY times. He actually came out in the crowd during Sam's set. It was like OOOOOO It's the Hip's stage manager!!!

Ugh...as I remember more I'll post, but for now that's about all I have.

I'll post pics on my site once I am done editing. I'll post a few on the HB too!

Anyway....I SAW THE HIP!! WOO HOO!!!!
Last edited by thipfan73 on Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

From thehip.com...

[edit]Silly me....[/edit]
Last edited by chris on Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

Hi all,

Wow - what a kick ass show.

The wife, her brother and I were in line at 6:30 - we were some of the first few there. When they opened the doors, we went right up to the stage and got a great spot up on the rail a little right of center - and didn't move the whole night.

Met a nice guy how drove by himself from Buffalo and had to be back to teach class in the morning. 0 sleep for him last night... He was rewarded by Johnny who handed him his sticks at the the end of an encore break.

Sam rocked. They can put on a great show - and I'm glad I picked up their CD - as it made their set even more enjoyable.

The Hip just started rocking right away - starting with You're Everywhere.

Good set list as well - Wendy - they did not play Grace last night... I see the Hip's site does not have it up yet.

It was funny that Gord jumped ahead a few songs and starting talking about Gus, then Paul walked over to let him know... Kinda funny.

The highlight was during Courage. People were singing along SO loud. The point in the song... "...No simple, explanation..." with the crowd so loud, Gord pointed the mic at us and we would sing - and then he'd pull it back and whisper into the mic "This is mine...This is my mic... you can't have it, it's mine" back and forth during that part. It was great.

I did see the crowd noise mics pointing out, so it looks like they were recording. I hope this one is released.

This was my 17th Hip show - and I think it was the best I have seen. Now I can't wait to see them in Toronto.

Oh, I've posted some pics (well, they will be up soon):

http://thehundredthmeridian.com/cp/

Good crowd - the place looked full - Sam was great - the Hip ROCKED - what a great night.

It was good to meet you Wendy - glad you got to meet the band.

On the merch side - as I saw someone mention in another thread - they are selling copies of IBE autographed - $15... right on the cover - they look great.

Whew... Good stuff.

Jerremy
thompsongirl21
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thompsongirl21 »

I'm almost positive the second song was Fully Completely. I really enjoed last nights show. My friend and I got right up front which was amazing. I thought I was in a better spot last night than I was Tuesday in the pit. It was great. I took alot of really good pics so hopefully if i'm not to technically challenged I can get them posted on here. They didn't look as though they were going through the motions last night they were so into it. I love that! Decent Gordy rants, not like Rochester but it was still great.

OKay okay, lets just get to the best part. At the end of 100th my friend and I were yelling for Robby. He actually heard us and pointed in our direction and smiled. (which alone is enough to satisfy me) Then at the end of the next sont one of the stage guys came up to us and handed us each a guitar pick saying that Robby told him to give them to us. It was amazing. I'm a very happy girl and its 8am and now i'm going to bed. Night all. Have a good one!!
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

Awesome reviews everyone! Thanks for sharing...

Fran
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

thipfan73 wrote:
Great, great, great job. I'm so glad the first one met your expectations, and thanks for all the details!

3 shirt rotation... mystery solved.

And Bobby the athiest wanted to be a Minister!

Cool stuff, way to go, here's to a quick recovery!

And that Gord photo BTW, looks artsy and spooky all at the same time!

Glad you had fun.
Last edited by Stephen Dame on Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

Glad you finally got to see them Wendy!! Sounds like it was a killer show.

Jeff
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
greenscor
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by greenscor »

Hey Jeremy, I arrived in Buffalo around 3:30 needless to say I am lacking sleep. It was worth the drive, I was blown away when Johhny handed me his sticks. I have never had anything like that happen to me. My students were very stoked. Did you get the setlist?

The boys were on fire last night. Lake Fever was a nice surprise, first time I have heard that on this tour. I hope to see them in toronto the day after thanksgiving.

Sam Roberts was a great opener, thinking of purchasing some of their Cd's
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

Great to hear that it was a wonderful experience for you Wendy!

I've seen them in concert close to 20 times now but never met 'em. I met too many jackass NHLers back in the day so now I suffer from: dontwanttobedisappointedbymyheros-itis. Maybe someday I'll get over it.
stuckatcuse
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by stuckatcuse »

Sweet show. Great to be that close. Met a ton of cool hipsters. I was in my glory. Fun singing. Great crowd in general. At work and tired as hell now. I wish I was 19 again! (Not really)
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

Hey greenscor,

Didn't catch your name at the show - and didn't know you were a Hipbaser! Glad to hear you made it home OK... The wife and I were wondering if your kids thought you were the coolest teacher ever - and if you brought the sticks in to 'prove' it. :)

Hehehe... thompsongirl21 - We saw Bobby smiling and pointing - we thought he had a family member or friend in the crowd. That's funny that you caught his eye.

All the guys were smiling and looked like the were really having a good time.

Hmmm... Still no setlist posted on the Hip site.

Wow - still feeling the good vibes from last night.

Jerremy
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

jerremy wrote:.

Good set list as well - Wendy - they did not play Grace last night... I see the Hip's site does not have it up yet.

It was good to meet you Wendy - glad you got to meet the band.
I thought for SURE they did GRACE!!! I also forgot Fully Completely!!!!

It was cool to meet you too! Philhip37 and Leothelip were awesome too! thompsongirl21 was awesome on the phone. Wish we could have met!!!

As far as getting the set list, someone who was waiting backstage with me got it. Someone not from the Hipbase:-( Oh well, he was deserving as much as anyone.

Which reminds me. David stole a concert poster! :D

OH I forgot...talking to Johnny. He said that he used to throw his sticks out into the crowd untill he hit someone in the eye once. So, the management said 'NO MORE STICK THROWING!'
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

thipfan73 wrote:I got home about 3am-ish and my neck still hurts from craning to see the stage, my voice is hoarse, my feet are killing me, and I'm exhausted!!!

But I still had to come on here and tell all about the show!

I wish I had the setlist. However, TheHip.com is having technical difficulties. It would be cool if mods or Lance stuck the set list into this post later. Or I will if I get to it first

ANYWAY....it was AMAZING! This was of course my first hip show and WOW. Everyone was ON and they looked like they were having a blast tonight. Well, except for Paul, he didn't look real well.

So, the did...in no particular order

Everywhere(opening song)
Lake Fever
Fully Completely
Josephine
Makeshift
Nashville
Bobcaygeon
Courage
Springtime in Vienna
Nautical Disaster
M@W
Vaccination Scar(2nd encore)
NOIS
ABAC(one of the encores)
ATHM
Gus
Blow (closer)
Poets
Fireworks(one of the encores)

That's all I can remember....

Anyway. WOW, that's all i can say is WOW. I knew all of the words, sang along, danced, bopped my head, took pics, it was GREAT!

I do believe Gord got all of the words right. However, there was the time when he was on stage and started to talk about Gus and then stopped and said something to the effect that there was another song they were going to do but it had nothing to do with a polar bear. Then he asked the band if they were doing Gus, and they did Gus.

Also, he did the "swim" rant during Poets.

He was hard to understand when he was ranting, I wish I had been able to understand!

He told a story about his ear was filled with water and that caused him to screw up the end of 'Springtime'. Which at the end he said "I'm not going to apologize so f**k you" :lol:

Gord ALMOST lost the mic stand, it was pretty funny. He also did the "Music at Work" move with it too. You know, where he knocks it over and brings it back up with his foot. During Music At Work OF COURSE! :-D

There was a reporter there from the Times Union doing a story and I made sure to make a plug for the Hipbase there!!!!

Now to the backstage part:

Paul looks like he's growing a moustache, or maybe he just wasn't feeling well. He slipped past us backstage

Robbie's facial hair is back and he's lookin GOOD. He's SO nice and wonderful. He's like HUGE! As in tall and pretty darned solid. We talked religion and his slide guitar playing. He also mentioned that if it wasn't for the band he would have gone to school to study art and theology and wanted to become a MINISTER!!!

Gord D needs to cut his hair again, he's lookin a bit shaggy. He was of course really baked. He loved the book.

here's me giving him the book

BTW, he has 'a rotation of three shirts' for the shows, so he doesn't wear the same one every night. And they are 'laundered quite often'. He also said that he lost his green shirt. He LOVED that shirt and would still be wearing it today for shows if he still had it. He signed my IVL CD with "To Wendy, Lefties have rights too G. Downie" because I had mentioned I was a fellow lefty. He started to talk to me about the hipbase but got distracted.

Gord S was a bit drunk, however wonderful. We talked about the Hipbase and he remembered meeting Lance.

Johnny was great too! He was the first one out and the camera was misbehaving and he actually let me have THREE TRIES to get the stupid camera to take the pic! He's going to be up here this winter in Lake Placid skiing!!! He of course refused to shake hands, says his hands were bleeding. I told the story about the guy who picked his nose later to the people who were there waiting with us.

The tour manager was quite the bitch at first when the 'contest' winners go to go backstage and meet the guys. However, she was nice the rest of the night.

Got to see Billy Bob, or is it Ray, MANY times. He actually came out in the crowd during Sam's set. It was like OOOOOO It's the Hip's stage manager!!!

Ugh...as I remember more I'll post, but for now that's about all I have.

I'll post pics on my site once I am done editing. I'll post a few on the HB too!

Great review! Sounds like your first show was everything you hoped it would be and more. Of course you realize that like the rest of us, you're probably addicted now. Once won't be enough. Every time they tour you'll feel an itch to go see them 2, 3, or 40 times. To paraphrase Christopher Walken from SNL: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more HIP!!!!

:mrgreen:
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

direwolf74 wrote:
Great review! Sounds like your first show was everything you hoped it would be and more. Of course you realize that like the rest of us, you're probably addicted now. Once won't be enough. Every time they tour you'll feel an itch to go see them 2, 3, or 40 times. To paraphrase Christopher Walken from SNL: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more HIP!!!!

:mrgreen:
OH YEAH! I had a great time! There were a few things that could have been better but for the most part I had a GREAT TIME!

BTW, here's the icon I made for my Live Journal :D

I'm working on getting the pics on The Hip Archive right now