2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

AmbitionlessHipster
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by AmbitionlessHipster »

:shock: :D WOW... what a great show!
I agree... their energy was HUGE!
My ears are still ringing with sweet succulent sounds of the Hip... :thumb:

Sorry I couldnt make it early enough to Loose Moose... but Chris, were you in the middle of the floors, facing left side of the stage??... I coulda sworn I saw you
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I was row 14, right where the walkway was, along the aisle to Lakeshore side of the arena.
AmbitionlessHipster
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by AmbitionlessHipster »

Wearing a red jersey? Then it must've been you! :thumb:
I was up in the stands on the other side, row 11... not a bad view suprisingly
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Hmmm...Springtime usually elicits a great crowd-response / singalong; 's up with 'at?

Would I be correct in assuming the "that night in Toronto..." line in Bobcaygeon generated a deafening roar from the audience that practically drowned out the amps?

If not, what were you guys thinkin'?!? :shock:

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

Man, I'm exhausted. I was blown away, but that always happens.
It's funny, cuz I go into the show saying I hope they dont end with Blow, then they do, and it's great...I love it, I'm tired, I'm going to bed.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Stay up for 10 more minutes, and you can download my clip of VC from tonight's show. As soon as I post it, I'm going to bed.

I'll probably get the DVD done tomorrow... if mansized eldorado can send me his pictures. I'll make a slideshow just like Wasaga. I think he took about 200 pics.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

great show, no real surprises in the setlist, but a very solid show nonetheless

lots of energy
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

Well, Chris beat me to posting the setlist, so here's my highlights. Joel Plaskett Emergency was decent. Their lyrics are not deep, and the band itself is a contrast. Joel is a tall, lanky, geeky looking fellow. His bassist was like a punk with some red scarf on. Weird. They played for 45 minutes. Best stuff from the Hip: two things stood out. As mentioned before, while messing around with the mic stand during Blow, Gord tripped and fell. It was classic. While doing a mic trick earlier in the show, it fell on the stage. Gord picked it up and went "Where the f**k do you think you're going!" At the end of Blow, it was, "Down at the speedway, same Tragically Hip thing". What a cool way to end the show. Robbie lit it up tonight. His solos were absolutely stellar. The extended outro at the end of Blow was amazing. The three kickers to the encores were amazing - Bones, Pistols and Blow. I was shocked to hear Pistols. Just as a side note - there was a guy two rows in front of us at the Amphitheatre on Canada Day, my gf and I called him wannabe Gord. He was dancing all Gord-like over the course of the evening. Tonight, he was about 8 rows almost directly in front of us. Wannabe Gord returned with a vengeance. What a coincidence. Anyhow, I'm still on that emotional high. What a show. Definitely pick up the DVD!!
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
ddd444
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

setlist - ACC

Post by ddd444 »

Setlist - Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON Nov 26, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Fully, Completely
Grace, Too
Summer's Killing Us
Ahead By A Century
Silver Jet
As Makeshift As We Are
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Poets
At The Hundredth Meridian
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
My Music @ Work
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Little Bones

2nd Encore:
Gift Shop
Springtime In Vienna
Three Pistols

3rd Encore:
Boots Or Hearts
Blow At High Dough

ddd444
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

shows like a pretty good show, i still sad i missed it
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

I thought the crowd enjoyed Springtime completely. They didn't dance the way they did during Blow at High Dough but it seemed very well received.

Silver Jet did fall flat. I'm sure they were hoping that because it was a fast paced song it would allow them to play a more rare song without lowering the energy of the show, but the song didn't have the 'bounce' it does on the record and so the crowd didn't groove.

Of course the crowd erupted during the '...in Toronto..." part of Bobcaygeon, as they always do here; in the past I've loved watching Gord'sexpression as the
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

(oop!) ...as they play the Toronto part of Bobcaygeon; unfortunately I was too far from the stage tonight to see it.
LIVELOVEtheHIP
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by LIVELOVEtheHIP »

I saw the concert (I work at the ACC...) I was surprised to see so many people who weren't singing, dancing... or moving! Have they ever even heard any of their songs?

Makes me wonder... and jealous! I wish I could have been sitting there!

Glad to hear everyone had fun. I will stick with my rationalization that no matter how "bad" people may think their shows are, you can never feel bad after seeing The Hip. Ahhhh....... I love them...

Cheers!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here is Vaccination Scar in divx.avi format: Save this link to your hard drive
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Or save this one!

Same file, different server.