2004-12-31 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Tarokun
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Tarokun »

Does anyone have a picture of the end of the concert when Gord was lying on the ground with the mic dangling from the stand? That seems like the defining moment of the night to me
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Here are the 3 songs that came 10 minutes to midnight. They will be in DivX format.

'As much as I love getting shit hurled at me!'
http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/thehip/2 ... n_divx.avi

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/thehip/2 ... e_divx.avi

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/thehip/2 ... s_divx.avi * a guy lighting his "smoke" inhaled too deeply, fell backwards hitting the monopod, half way through the song.

Enjoy!!
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

man, what a great year to be a Hip fan, I just updated my user concert list, I didnt realize Ive seen the Hip 7 times this year, wow! I never thought I would top my 2002 record of 6. Sweeeeeeeet :thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

the_wheat_king wrote:I took a ton of pics once again as i was in the 3rd row, FL3 on the far left (grimes...i must have been right behind you or something, i was in the red & white hip jersey with a jays hat)....
Yeah I definitely noticed the hip jersey. I was in front of you 3 seats over...I was wearing a red Team Canada jersey and a McMaster hat. I clearly should've introduced myself...

One other comment on the show...it was my brother's second Hip concert, the first being the ACC show in Nov. Although he did have a great time, afterwords he commented on how similar the setlist was. I guess he has a point as Wheat, Fire, Family and Cope were the only songs not played at the ACC. But being up close this time it was a totally different experience (we were about 20th row floor at the ACC). And of course, any Hip is better than no Hip!
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Any hip is good hip, so I took what I could get....
greenscor
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by greenscor »

Biga

Those clips are amazing, kudos to your dedication of putting down/out quality videos
crimmsy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by crimmsy »

keithtalent wrote:
tragicallymike wrote:yea i cant remember. They didnt do anything new. Off the top of my head i know they played "Plea from a cat named virtue","Our Retired Explorer","reconstruction site","manifest","The Reasons","pamphleteer","confessions of a futon revolutionist"
"
highwaygirl28 wrote:Anyone remember the Weakerthans' setlist?
they also played the prescience of dawn, psalm for the elks lodge last call, benediction, and aside. i think that's the entire setlist. another hip opener that i would love to see now.
Here's the Weakerthans setlist as near as I can remember it:

(Manifest)
Our Retired Explorer
Watermark
Psalm for the Elks Lodge Last Call
Aside
Reconstruction Site
The Reasons
Plea from a Cat Named Virtue
Pamphleteer
Benediction
Confessions of a Futon-Revolutionist
The Prescience of Dawn

Not completely sure about the order of songs in the middle of the list, but it's close.

Matt
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

I would have loved to have heard a few more "gems" from the past but hey, it's the Hip on New Year's Eve, they could play anything and it would be great. And Gord's latest battle with the microphone and microphone stand during Fire was priceless.

I was there 2 years ago and its interesting to compare the 2 shows. In 2002 they had the timing perfect with Long Time Running at midnight. This time? Well, it was entertaining! But if everything went perfectly all the time life would be boring. :)

I was in FL 1, row 10, and believe I saw several of you. I was wearing the 2002 tour tshirt I got last time. Also chatted with biga before the Hip came on, it was great to meet him.

I stayed at the Sheraton and a little before 4p I ran into Rob Baker in the elevator lobby on my floor. He was standing there waiting for someone, so we had a brief chat. Very cool, wish we could have talked longer!
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

gentoo wrote:I would have loved to have heard a few more "gems" from the past but hey, it's the Hip on New Year's Eve, they could play anything and it would be great. And Gord's latest battle with the microphone and microphone stand during Fire was priceless.

I was there 2 years ago and its interesting to compare the 2 shows. In 2002 they had the timing perfect with Long Time Running at midnight. This time? Well, it was entertaining! But if everything went perfectly all the time life would be boring. :)

I was in FL 1, row 10, and believe I saw several of you. I was wearing the 2002 tour tshirt I got last time. Also chatted with biga before the Hip came on, it was great to meet him.

I stayed at the Sheraton and a little before 4p I ran into Rob Baker in the elevator lobby on my floor. He was standing there waiting for someone, so we had a brief chat. Very cool, wish we could have talked longer!
I saw you talking to biga. i also saw the guy with the bruins jersey. i have no idea why i didnt go over and say hi. :roll:
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Clips = amazing.

I take back any and all complaints about the set list. who cares. They really are the best.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

gentoo wrote:I would have loved to have heard a few more "gems" from the past but hey, it's the Hip on New Year's Eve, they could play anything and it would be great. And Gord's latest battle with the microphone and microphone stand during Fire was priceless.

ya i saw you , i was the one sitting beside biga. tth700ft (guy with bruins jersey) says he will be on to post his jersey for others to see
sadies
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sadies »

anyone know if this was a sold out show? good tickets seemed to still be available close to the 31st.
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

crimmsy wrote:
Here's the Weakerthans setlist as near as I can remember it:

(Manifest)
Our Retired Explorer
Watermark
Psalm for the Elks Lodge Last Call
Aside
Reconstruction Site
The Reasons
Plea from a Cat Named Virtue
Pamphleteer
Benediction
Confessions of a Futon-Revolutionist
The Prescience of Dawn

Not completely sure about the order of songs in the middle of the list, but it's close.

Matt
Very cool :thumb:
silver353
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by silver353 »

Hello to hip fans everywhere!! My boyfriend and I went to the Hip show on NYE. Good times were had by all!!! It was a good set, I thoroughly enjoyed the show, especially the micorphone stand bit, Downie is as charismatic as ever. A true poet...I have to say the people we were around were a little annoying, falling all over each other in drunk stupors, but the show itself was a blast! I really hope they tour again...soon.

..."Watch the band, through a bunch of dancers...quickly, follow the unknown...with something, more familiar, quickly something familiar!"

oh yeah, best opening bands Ive seen in a long time!
kbeauvais
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kbeauvais »

Well it being my first time in Hamilton, didnt like the city much, But watching the hip for my 6th time i found it a great concert, not the best one i saw tho. Gordon Downie had lots of energy, and the band played great. Hope to see them again. Keep up the good work boys.