2006-10-26 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

sadohert wrote: There were 3 rookies in our party of 8 last night, and THEY were all RAVING aobut the show after the fact.
LOL, I took 3 of them to the last Winnipeg show, me being the only Vet. I called them "Hip Virgins"....
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kulpie »

Hi Folks,

...so let me tell you about my week...

All 4 shows and I would rank Wednesday and Thursday as entering my top 3 shows of all time. I saw them in the 9:30 club in DC back in my university days and that also will medal (is that a verb?! lol). They are so unfu#%ing unbelievable (was that a double negative?! lol).

I know I am repeating but 38, sherpa, gems and locked were my hi-lite(s) from last evening - And Lov(sic), Kids, Rink and Family band are going to be classics for years to come. I also got into the after party again and all the guys were there and the mood and spirit in that room was pretty cool! I've been to a few after parties and that is the first time that (I've seen) Downie has been there - he seems like just a real down to earth person = he spent considerable time answering questions from his fans as his entourage was filtering people in and out from his conversation. It was a neat study in sociology from my view.

Anywho, 4 out of five nights away from the wife and baby is tragically hip. My wife actually encouraged me to go and man, am I a lucky guy!

Off to Vegas on Monday and who knows, maybe I'll jump a flight and hit Calgary on Wednesday. I can write that off can't I?

It was very cool to meet a few of the people on this board - To people that are sitting on the fence about hitting an upcoming show in these smaller venues - Please do it as you will be glad for the experience.

Cheers to all and have a great weekend!

-Edward.
sundin13
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by sundin13 »

Went to Wed and Thurs shows, and I must say, Thurs took the cake.

The energy in the crowd was far better than the previous night, especially when they broke out Locked and Blow -- the place went nuts.

I was there earlier in the day when they were doing their soundcheck, and we heard them banging out 38 Years Old (which they played), but they also did Thugs -- which disappointingly, they skipped.

Hell, maybe those lucky Calgarians will get it.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

kulpie wrote:Hi Folks,

All 4 shows and I would rank Wednesday and Thursday as entering my top 3 shows of all time. I saw them in the 9:30 club in DC back in my university days and that also will medal (is that a verb?! lol). They are so unfu#%ing unbelievable (was that a double negative?! lol).

I know I am repeating but 38, sherpa, gems and locked were my hi-lite(s) from last evening - And Lov(sic), Kids, Rink and Family band are going to be classics for years to come. I also got into the after party again and all the guys were there and the mood and spirit in that room was pretty cool! I've been to a few after parties and that is the first time that (I've seen) Downie has been there - he seems like just a real down to earth person = he spent considerable time answering questions from his fans as his entourage was filtering people in and out from his conversation. It was a neat study in sociology from my view.

Anywho, 4 out of five nights away from the wife and baby is tragically hip. My wife actually encouraged me to go and man, am I a lucky guy!

Off to Vegas on Monday and who knows, maybe I'll jump a flight and hit Calgary on Wednesday. I can write that off can't I?

It was very cool to meet a few of the people on this board - To people that are sitting on the fence about hitting an upcoming show in these smaller venues - Please do it as you will be glad for the experience.

-Edward.
How did you get into the after parties? Is there a certain time to try to get in, a special pass, you slip the guard a $50??? Info please!
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Mr. Lahey wrote:
kulpie wrote:Hi Folks,

-Edward.
How did you get into the after parties? Is there a certain time to try to get in, a special pass, you slip the guard a $50??? Info please!
If you have to ask this question, you're not gettng in.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

sundin13 wrote: I was there earlier in the day when they were doing their soundcheck, and we heard them banging out 38 Years Old (which they played), but they also did Thugs -- which disappointingly, they skipped.

Hell, maybe those lucky Calgarians will get it.
Still the fact that you heard a soundcheck of thugs is freaking amazing.

Thugs....wow
Ballgame
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Ballgame »

wow Locked and Daddy. Great show, wish I was there
stevball
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by stevball »

here's my review:

it was the only show i saw, of the 4 that they played at the phoenix, and what a way to go out! the crowd was well behaved and i didn't see any issues with any of the peoples, which is nice to report.

i wont do a song by song review but rather just hit on my personal highlights. lonely end of the rink is such a kickass tune and it was nice to get a new song open the show, cause i was mainly there to hear how the new songs go down live. BUT who doesn't love 38years old?? lol

i was at fort york so 38 years old wasn't a new thing for me but huge kudos to the band for going into the great vault that they now have and digging up and practicing...sure puts a smile on an old fan's face.

sherpa was a huge highlight for me cause i happen the think henhouse is a masterpiece from start to finish. putting down is a song i love and i was surprised to get that added to the setlist. it was awesome.

last of the unplucked gems i had heard before...hey remember that Y2K version at the ACC at midnite?? wow! anyways i think that song rawks cause it always starts out with me going to myself " wtf is THIS song?", cause i'm really digging it...anyways LOL...only to finally realize, oh ya! i forgot all about this GOLDEN nugget! lol

heaven is a better place was my least favourite song played.

i really love all the new songs and saw that someone else said that the band should drop pretend from the setlist, to which i fully disagree to. i'm not starting a fight but i think that tune is beautiful and is one of the best on the cd...but ya, i like to rawk out too, sooo...

the new songs are all great with in view and world container being the 2 songs that i was most anticipating.

finally huge kudos go to gord d for remembering all those lyrics and also making sure that the fire is burning by continuing to mix up those setlists. he is singing really really well these days.

overall the show was better than belleville(which was A+) but that was mainly because of the new songs. it will be imossible to top that long time running, that they did, this past summer, in belleville.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Photos: Nights 1 - 4

Post by MAverick »

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I'm working on this DVD now... fingers are crossed for a February release.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:I'm working on this DVD now... fingers are crossed for a February release.
Cool! :thumb: I look forward to that. How many cameras for this one, Chris? Do you have video footage of the rest of the Pheonix shows (I know you've done 10/22 already).
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I have all 4 of the Phoenix shows. For this one there are likely going to be 4 angles....
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:I have all 4 of the Phoenix shows. For this one there are likely going to be 4 angles....
Excellent! I'm really looking forward to it! :thumb: Thanks again for the hard work.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew2vTQ_YGBg

Editing is done, I'll hopefully get a DVD finished tomorrow...
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

nice work