2006-06-30 - Charlottetown, PE - Atlantic Superstore Fest.

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-06-30 - Charlottetown, PE - Atlantic Superstore Fest.

Post by mrlayance »

Please post your review.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Just got home from the show. Crazy time. Anger. Pure bliss. More anger. Then some awe. And more awe.......

Highlander, I got smothered in the crowd when we went to move back. Hope you got a great spot. I moved back a little and had a better area. A little shoving but not much. BTW, awesome job shoving that B*TCH! She deserved it. I should have done that myself!

Gord flicking at Paul's cigarette during a song? PRICELESS. GORD'S DANCING? PRICELESS. Gord throwing the mic cord out in the crowd's direction and then reeling it back.?PRICELESS. Gord reprimanding the roughousers? Good stuff. Gord thanking us for being "music lovers"? Well intentioned but probably not accurate.

Songs I remember: THEY STARTED WITH BLOW!!! HOW IS THAT??? No particular order. (except the first two) I'll probably leave a few out.

-Blow
-Oceans (didn't strike me as a favourite but with time I think it will grow on me)
-Music At Work
-Lionized :shock:
-Sherpa :shock:
-Something On
-Grace Too (great rant about Prime Minister Bush)
-Daredevil
-Unplucked Gems (Gord lied down and pretended to sleep as he sung the song......spectacular)
-Lonely End of The Rink (quite possibly THE BEST SOUNDING SONG OF THE NIGHT...IT KICKED MY ASS SO HARD I ALMOST BLACKED OUT)
-Fire In The Hole (ALSO KICKED ME INTO NEXT YEAR)
-ABAC
-Bobcaygeon
-Meridian (UNREAL AS ALWAYS)
-Poets (BLISTERINGLY BRILLIANT AS ALWAYS)
-Dire Wolf
-Nashville
-Lake Fever
-Gift Shop
-Springtime

To the Charlottetown crowd- A BIG FAT YOU F'IN SUCK! YOU BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.

TO THE HIP- thanks for some more memories and another spectacular show. Gord Downie- re-affirmed his status as one of the great frontmen in the business. Rob came out in aviators and a cowboy hat. Nice.

Matt Mays- good solid set. Oh yeah, Matt, I don't think you need a winter hat on this time of year. It's plenty warm. Ok.
Sam Roberts- sounded good boys, some good extended jams.

To the guys with no shirts on- you're all a bunch of scum.

To the organizers- thanks for making us wait in line for about 40 minutes past 4 when it said the doors opened at 4. :x

To Highlander- good to see ya again man. Too bad I lost ya there but I tried my best to keep behind you, I swear. I just got bombarded.

To Kleh- enjoy the pick. Can't wait to see your pics.

To the rest of the hipbasers that went- too bad I didn't see ya there.

All in all, the crowd wasn't enough to bring me down. I had a blast seeing one of the great bands in the world show their stuff on my little island. Oh yeah, nice hat Gord.

:thumb:
Last edited by tigerthelion on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

well put tigerthelion, ill put together a proper review tomorrow afternoon sometime, cant believe i survived 2nd/3rd row the whole show!!

anywho here's the best of my pics to hold yas over, ill sort em/tag em & add em to the hip flickr pool eventually

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623262@N00/

^ best pic i got :D
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Atta boy kleh! :thumb:
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Setlist in order:

Blow At High Dough
Oceans
Music at Work
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Lake Fever
Daredevil
Lionized
Sherpa
Springtime in Vienna
Gift Shop
The Dire Wolf
At the Hundredth Meridian
Something On
The Last of the Unplucked Gems
Ahead by a Century
Grace, Too
Fire in the Hole

Encore:
The Lonely End of the Rink
Bobcaygeon
Poets

WELL!!!!! Just back to Halifax (3:15am). The assholes at the gate wouldn't let us in with our gear. We rambled off a bunch of hip crew names, none of which they knew. The security guard said "better get back to your car and drop your stuff off. " Plan b, off to another gate to try and get it in. Brandy shoved the video camera in the hood of her sweatshirt and tied it around her waist. The security guard asked her to remove it and she made this miraculous save with the camera to keep it outta site. Needless to say, we got all the gear in and set up right in front of the soundboard.

We have some crazy footage in the rain before Sam Roberts takes the stage. True dedication this was protecting the gear from any damage. The hip hit the stage around 8:45 and played a 20 song set. Tiger did a pretty job at summing up the whole night. Gord was very active and fun to watch as always. There were so many people walking in front of us all night so hopefully we'll be able to re-live the night a little better when we watch it.

To dreyfuss, we had to bust out the manual but don't worry, we got the whole thing taped. You'll have to do a little editing with the levels. We gave it a quick listen in the car with the Ipod FM tuner and we had to crank the volume in the car to 36 just to hear it, lol. I put it in your good hands to figure it out. If we put the recording level any higher on the DAT, it would have overloaded with bass. As for video, we got 90% of Sam and our battery died in the last half of Rink and we got all of BobC and it died towards the end of Poets. Sucks we didn't get it all but it's better than nothing because we almost didn't even get the stuff in.

I just noticed I'm logged in as Rory. I'm sure he'll write more when he wakes up tomorrow.

It was great to finally see Darren at the show. I hope you made your way back to Cavendish fine. Shout out to Ikky too and nice of you to come over and chat for a bit. It would have been nice to see more hipbasers though.

Well I'm freaking pooped and need some sleep. Take Care!

Jamie
Oakville
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

tigerthelion -

Thanks for the early review...opened with Blow...good lord. They played every song tonight that I wanted to hear in Milwaukee or Chicago this weekend. Wow, wow, wow...
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

tigerthelion wrote:To the Charlottetown crowd- A BIG FAT YOU F'IN SUCK! YOU BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.
I guess your probably not trying to offend anyone in particular with that statement but I kind of take offence to it, being a Ch'Town resident. I realize that your saying the crowd in general was a bunch of dicks, and your probably right. Too much pushing, too much shoving up front. I had to get pulled out during Meridian because some assholes elbow was digging into my side and I couldn't breath. However, the way you put it made it sound like people from Ch'Town are a "BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT". The fact of the matter is most of the people there weren't even from Ch'Town or the Island for that matter. And again, I realize your probably not saying that people form Charlottetown are like this, your probably saying that the crowd that showed up was like this, and I agree. But the way you put it, it came off as you directing towards people from Ch'Town. It came off that way to me atleast.

That being said...amazing show. So many good tunes. Great to hear Dire Wolf and Something On. Blow to open it? That sweet and unexpected. I liked Gord's way of telling the crowd to settle down. "Hey wanna talk to you, and you, and you (pointing towards the back)...these people up front got here before you, AND THEY'RE BETTER LOOKING THAN YOU, you can't use brute force to get up front, it doesn't work that way on the island!"

Matt Mays was great as always, his set was something like this....

Stand Down at Sundown
Building a Boat
Travellin'
What Are We Gonna Do Come the Month of September?
Time of Your Life
Move Your Mind
City of Lakes
Cocaine Cowgirl

Sam Roberts Band kicked some major ass like they always do live, setlist.....

The Resistance
Hard Road
The Gate
With a Bullet
Paranoia
Bridge To Nowhere
Brother Down
An American Draft Dodger in Thunder Bay
Uprising Down Under (with Matt Mays)
Where Have All the Good People Gone?
Don't Walk Away Eileen
Mind Flood

All in all, like tigerthelion said, the crowd wasn't enough to get you down. GREAT GREAT SHOW!
Last edited by Chester on Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Chester wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:To the Charlottetown crowd- A BIG FAT YOU F'IN SUCK! YOU BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.
I guess your probably not trying to offend anyone in particular with that statement but I kind of take offence to it, being a Ch'Town resident. I realize that your saying the crowd in general was a bunch of dicks, and your probably right. Too much pushing, too much shoving up front. I had to get pulled out during Meridian because some assholes elbow was digging into my side and I couldn't breath. However, the way you put it made it sound like people from Ch'Town are a "BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT". The fact of the matter is most of the people there weren't even from Ch'Town or the Island for that matter. And again, I realize your probably not saying that people form Charlottetown are like this, your probably saying that the crowd that showed up was like this, and I agree. But the way you put it, it came off as you directing towards people from Ch'Town. It came off that way to me atleast.

That being said...amazing show. So many good tunes. Great to hear Dire Wolf and Something On. Blow to open it? That sweet and unexpected. I liked Gord's way of telling the crowd to settle down. "Hey wanna talk to you, and you, and you (pointing towards the back)...these people up front got here before you, AND THEY'RE BETTER LOOKING THAN YOU, you can't use brute force to get up front, it doesn't work that way on the island!"

Stand Down at Sundown
Building a Boat
Travellin'
Time of Your Life
Move Your Mind
City of Lakes
Cocaine Cowgirl

The Resistance
Hard Road
The Gate
With a Bullet
Paranoia
Bridge To Nowhere
Brother Down
Don't Walk Away Eileen
Mind Flood

All in all, like tigerthelion said, the crowd wasn't enough to get you down. GREAT GREAT SHOW!
I'm trying to offend every person that was shoving for no apparent reason. I'm sure you weren't one of them and maybe a lot of them weren't from PEI. Maybe I should have known better because I knew it would be a battle up front about two or three rows back but I didn't think it would be that ridiculous. In the second half of the show, bunches of people were literally falling to the ground from the excessive shoving. I kept telling people to drop the crowdsurfers also. I want them dropped to the ground hard and then stomped on because they are pathetic human beings.

Rory and Jamie, Highlander and I kept looking back for ya but couldn't find ya. I guess Darren found you at the end. While I was moving away from my original spot to a spot a little to the left and back a few rows I saw kleh and stayed up front with him looking for a setlist or really anything. I did a quick scan of the soundboard area and didn't spot you guys. Too bad. AWESOME JOB GETTING THE GEAR IN. I WAS HOPING AGAINST HOPE THAT THE SHOW WOULD BE TAPED.

To Highlander- what was it, four or five times that big breasted woman crowd surfed? I say kick those clowns out of the concert altogether.
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

tigerthelion wrote:
Chester wrote:

Stand Down at Sundown
Building a Boat
Travellin'
Time of Your Life
Move Your Mind
City of Lakes
Cocaine Cowgirl

The Resistance
Hard Road
The Gate
With a Bullet
Paranoia
Bridge To Nowhere
Brother Down
Don't Walk Away Eileen
Mind Flood

I'm trying to offend every person that was shoving for no apparent reason. I'm sure you weren't one of them and maybe a lot of them weren't from PEI. Maybe I should have known better because I knew it would be a battle up front about two or three rows back but I didn't think it would be that ridiculous. In the second half of the show, bunches of people were literally falling to the ground from the excessive shoving. I kept telling people to drop the crowdsurfers also. I want them dropped to the ground hard and then stomped on because they are pathetic human beings.
I know, it was nuts. Like I said, I had to get security to pull me out during meridian because at that point it was getting to be too much. Plus I found a great spot not too much further back to watch from where people were having a great time, but not shoving. I wish people would realize that not EVERYBODY can be at the front. If you want to be at the front so bad, show up earlier! But your comment about pathetic human beings is extremely harsh if you ask me. Yes there were a ton of jackasses there who were crowd surfing and pushing. But to call them pathetic human beings is going too far. I save my pathetic human beings comments for murderers, rapists, terrorists and so forth. Not idiots at a concert.

Where are you from on PEI if you dont mind me asking...I live just outside of Charlottetown.

Actually, I think I may have saw you last night as I was being pulled out. IBE shirt and hat? I would have came up and spoke to you after the show if I had of saw you later on.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Chester wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:
Chester wrote: I guess your probably not trying to offend anyone in particular with that statement but I kind of take offence to it, being a Ch'Town resident. I realize that your saying the crowd in general was a bunch of dicks, and your probably right. Too much pushing, too much shoving up front. I had to get pulled out during Meridian because some assholes elbow was digging into my side and I couldn't breath. However, the way you put it made it sound like people from Ch'Town are a "BUNCH OF REDNECK HILLBILLIES WHO WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO ACT DECENT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT". The fact of the matter is most of the people there weren't even from Ch'Town or the Island for that matter. And again, I realize your probably not saying that people form Charlottetown are like this, your probably saying that the crowd that showed up was like this, and I agree. But the way you put it, it came off as you directing towards people from Ch'Town. It came off that way to me atleast.

Stand Down at Sundown
Building a Boat
Travellin'
Time of Your Life
Move Your Mind
City of Lakes
Cocaine Cowgirl

The Resistance
Hard Road
The Gate
With a Bullet
Paranoia
Bridge To Nowhere
Brother Down
Don't Walk Away Eileen
Mind Flood

I know, it was nuts. Like I said, I had to get security to pull me out during meridian because at that point it was getting to be too much. Plus I found a great spot not too much further back to watch from where people were having a great time, but not shoving. I wish people would realize that not EVERYBODY can be at the front. If you want to be at the front so bad, show up earlier! But your comment about pathetic human beings is extremely harsh if you ask me. Yes there were a ton of jackasses there who were crowd surfing and pushing. But to call them pathetic human beings is going too far. I save my pathetic human beings comments for murderers, rapists, terrorists and so forth. Not idiots at a concert.

Where are you from on PEI if you dont mind me asking...I live just outside of Charlottetown.

Actually, I think I may have saw you last night as I was being pulled out. IBE shirt and hat? I would have came up and spoke to you after the show if I had of saw you later on.
Well, I still think the crowd surfers should be KICKED OUT OF THE CONCERT SITE. I got kicked in the face last night. That's really why I go to see the Hip, ya know, to get kicked in the face by some drunk guy.

It was funny because some spots were relatively tame close to the front. I found a spot where there was the odd pushing but not too much. I could actually stand up and keep my balance at least. :)

IBE shirt and hat is correct. I took my hat off just when the Hip were starting and then put it back on after I found a more peaceful spot to watch the show. My glasses came off right before the Hip also.

I'm from Beach Point, which is a few minutes from Murray Harbour.
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

I agree, they should kick the crowd surfers out after the first time they get pulled out. A few people got pulled out numerous times. It was retarded. And yeah I noticed that some places near the front were not too bad, I just seemed to pick a terrible spot. Still a great show though!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Chester wrote:I agree, they should kick the crowd surfers out after the first time they get pulled out. A few people got pulled out numerous times. It was retarded. And yeah I noticed that some places near the front were not too bad, I just seemed to pick a terrible spot. Still a great show though!
Anytime you get to see Gord Downie on stage, it's gonna be a good time. :thumb:
Chester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chester »

Amen to that.
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

I had a blast! Yes, the crowd was a bit rough by times in the area i was in as well, but the Hip's set more than made up for that! I was impressed with the boys last night, they were outstanding. Gord was full of energy last night!
So many highlights...definitely the best version of Poets i've seen live in person so far! Grace, Too was great last night (as always), and it was great to here Fire in the Hole live for the first time, etc. etc. etc.

I managed to get lots of pictures (some good...some not so much), and recorded The Lonely End of the Rink.
Wheat_King
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Wheat_King »

What a great show.

Are we gonna be able to get our hands on a Video or Audio bootleg anytime soon? I want to relive it again.