03/08/07: Rochester: Harro East Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

03/08/07: Rochester: Harro East Ballroom

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Just got back from the show. It was certainly a lively crowd. I'm too tired for a full review but lets just say bra's on the stage, Gord in full fledged rocker mode and Paul kicking ass as always.

I got a set list and a pick from Paul. Here's the set list in order.

Rink
NOIS
Drop Off
Daredevil
In View
ABAC
Fly
Poets
World Container
Fiddler's Green
Luv Sic
100th
Pigeon Camera
Kids Don't Get It
Grace
Wheat Kings
Yer Not the Ocean
Blow at High Dough
Family Band

Encore:
Pretend
Escape
Fire in The Hole

More complete review tomorrow for now its bed.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Thx for bringing us our first official U.S-07 review!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Oh man! GAME ON!!!!!!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Pudge7681 wrote:Just got back from the show. It was certainly a lively crowd. I'm too tired for a full review but lets just say bra's on the stage, Gord in full fledged rocker mode and Paul kicking ass as always.

Rink
NOIS
Drop Off
Daredevil
In View
ABAC
Fly
Poets
World Container
Fiddler's Green
Luv Sic
100th
Pigeon Camera
Kids Don't Get It
Grace
Wheat Kings
Yer Not the Ocean
Blow at High Dough
Family Band

Encore:
Pretend
Escape
Fire in The Hole

Oh and look at that. Luv Sic and Drop Off. I'll bet they dig deeper into WC as the second phase of their tour continues. And a nice to see b-sides Fly makes an appearance!

And Pretend too! Although I much prefer the Kids intro.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Cool - Nice to see 'Daredevil' make an appearence.
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Alright so as promised I'll give you the full review now that I'm refreshed and its Friday morning. The show was PACKED. I know it was sold out but I have to wonder if it was even over legal capacity. The line to the bathroom had a security gaurd on it because it was so long. So before the show began my lovely fiance yelled up to Billy Ray and told him to remember her when he was tossing away setlists. He did which is totally a perfect way to end her first Hip show. The opener was raw power and just totally got the crowd into it. It was in my opinion the first time that I've heard a true solid replacement for any of the old stand by openers. I was instantly pleased when DD came next especially since I was in Niagara Falls last weekend and explained to the wife-to-be that "the hip have this song that..." Gord was in his typical state of mind just really feeding off the energy. Paul was totally into it to. Every time they played songs off of WC and the crowd responded so well you could almost feel a sense of relief from the band that the new stuff was really making it. At one point a bra flew on stage and Gord approached it like a rattle snake until finally picking it up pretending it was attacking him. Then as he wiped his brow and snuggled up with the bra and the song ended he said "You know whenever a bra comes up on stage I think 'Yeah, I can do a few more" and then they just went right into the next song. If their energy was any indication of where this tour is headed I can only imagine what the later shows will be like. This show was good enough to have converted the fiance into a fan and as we left she said to me "So we ARE going to Erie...RIGHT?"

Is anyone knows how to post pics up here so that all can see them I have about 100 to go through and weed out the blurry and incoherent and I can post a few here. I know there is one with Gord holding the braw up with the lights just hitting him right. One of Paul kicking ass with the fog surrounding him and the light just illuminating his silhouette. Those two for sure came out amazing.

Peace, love, and hip.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Post your pics here: www.hipography.com
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Will do chris after work today I'll have my work cut out for me to go through them all. Trust me, there are some real gems in there.
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

nice..."your ears grow comfortably numb"
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

Good show, good response from the crowd. Grace Too was the highlight for sure (for me anyway). That and Gord siting on his mike stand and spinning around like a sit n spin. Took a bunch of pix but haven't looked at them yet. don't know how good they will be. We were in the balcony because the wife is short so we went up top so she could see something, so they are gonna be distant. Should be closer tonight. Video/audio was set up by the mixing board so thank you ahead of time for that.
I have never in my life been to a show,game anything were the MEN'S line for the bathroom was long the whole night. It went about half way throught the ballroom and stayed that way the whole time.
Good time :thumb:
Chris4613
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chris4613 »

Thats what happens when there is two urinals and one stall that someone puked in by 7:20. Great show very heavy on the new while mixing in old gems. Great job by the band great energy by the crowd. Let's keep it going for tonight
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Pudge7681 wrote:Rochester D&C review

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 7703090348
Concert review: Tragically Hip grab you, don't let go

Jeff Spevak
Staff music critic

(March 9, 2007) — A rock band ripping on all cylinders in front of a beered-up crowd is an awesome sight. You're not a spectator, you're a participant. It's like feeling the engines at Daytona, as hands-on as dissecting your first worm in biology class. It's visceral.

That was the Tragically Hip on Thursday night, as the tall, multi-paned windows of the Harro East Ballroom frosted over with the breath of a sold-out crowd of 1,100. There was no showing of hands, but judging by the unusually high number of hockey jerseys, much of the crowd was likely Canadian, having made the trip here to get an intimate look at their fellow countrymen, who are a much bigger band on the other side of the lake.

Opening with "End of the Rink," from their excellent new album World Container, every aspect of why the Tragically Hip remains one of the finest live bands touring after more than two decades was evident. It is loud: perhaps too loud for the room on this night, but as the night soars on, your ears grow comfortably numb, and the beer cups seem to get smaller with each round. The Hip is a basic, five-piece rock band, but it never resorts to tricks or gimmicks to augment its sound. It can groove, or lend "The Kids Don't Get It" a circus-monkey parade beat. It's like watching one of those clocks in the public square of a German town, with every piece always whirring and spinning, never pausing.

Each piece has been in place for virtually the entire life of the band, and they all look untouched by the journey: guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois, bassist Gord Sinclair, drummer Johnny Fay. But the piece that refuses to let go of you is Gordon Downie, who is as interesting to watch as any front man in rock today. You think of R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, with all of the posturing and dramatic cocking of the head. Or Coldplay's Chris Martin, with all of that leaping about.

But no one is more manic, or more eccentric, than Downie. He looked like a beatnik in his black outfit, prancing, flipping the microphone about, uttering non sequiturs, dancing as though tuning in frequencies from another planet. "I remember you," he exclaimed after reciting a handful of names. "That's why I dance, to forget."

With the soaring "Grace, Too," the Hip was as good as it would get this night. A black bra was flung to the stage, and Downie snagged it and stared at it lovingly, as though this was the reason they had chosen to become rock stars. He stuffed it under his shirt for a few moments, then pranced about the stage, waving it in the air as though he were wrapped up in a private pagan lap dance.

"Sometimes when a bra comes up onstage," he said after the song, "I think to myself, 'We ought to do a couple more.' "
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

Pudge7681 wrote:Just got back from the show. It was certainly a lively crowd. I'm too tired for a full review but lets just say bra's on the stage, Gord in full fledged rocker mode and Paul kicking ass as always.

Rink
NOIS
Drop Off
Daredevil
In View
ABAC
Fly
Poets
World Container
Fiddler's Green
Luv Sic
100th
Pigeon Camera
Kids Don't Get It
Grace
Wheat Kings
Yer Not the Ocean
Blow at High Dough
Family Band

Encore:
Pretend
Escape
Fire in The Hole

Very good setlist!! Cool to see Daredevil and Fly. I gave Fly another chance a week or so ago and it really is a pretty good song. With a setlist like this I have to put a push on getting to one of these US shows. Maybe Seattle or Indy depends on the travel schedule.