05/16/07: Cleveland: House of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

05/16/07: Cleveland: House of Blues

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Cover idea:

1. Make it the first song of the encore.
2. Spend an unsually long amount of time off stage after the main set (maybe turn up in the balcony or by the soundboard).
3. Come roaring back on stage with:

Hello Cleveland !!!!

4. Launch into 'Canadian' version of Sex Farm.
primetimeryan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by primetimeryan »

i;ll be the dude there in the blue indians hat with the "i" on it and the black hip tee with white chuck taylors....made the big road trip from hamilton tonight, my first hip show sout of the border, looking forward to it....ducked into the soundcheck for wintersleep, damn this venue is tiny, around my 25th hip show, only place to this i can compare is the phoenix, but smaller.....so if you see me on the floor say hello, long time hb lurker, few time poster
primetimeryan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by primetimeryan »

drunken show review, sober tomorrow, not a long set at all, was barely oer an hour, songs posted tomorrow, met paul, gord s and robbie after theshow which was cool but eft te show feeling like something was missing, mayber a longer set i dont know....kinda shitty driving 5 hours for that but i guess i cant complain seeeing the hip in a plave like this, better then the usual acc for sure but it seemedlike an ok show, nothing great or anying....ps just no note around my 25th hip show
tth_fan
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tth_fan »

primetimeryan wrote:drunken show review, sober tomorrow, not a long set at all, was barely oer an hour, songs posted tomorrow, met paul, gord s and robbie after theshow which was cool but eft te show feeling like something was missing, mayber a longer set i dont know....kinda shitty driving 5 hours for that but i guess i cant complain seeeing the hip in a plave like this, better then the usual acc for sure but it seemedlike an ok show, nothing great or anying....ps just no note around my 25th hip show
:lol: ...this was Hillarious! Man, if you had half as much fun as you had trouble typing this, than it was worth it!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

:thumb: Classic!
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Setlist from thehip.com

Post by sullivand »

Setlist from thehip.com. Nice to see some Phantom Power rarities busting out -- Save The Planet in this show and The Rules the night before in Madison. And of course Cleveland got Emperor Penguin last month...

1: Yer Not The Ocean
2: Fully Completely
3: In View
4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
5: The Kids Don't Get It
6: Bobcaygeon
7: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
8: Family Band
9: Wheat Kings
10: Pretend
11: Springtime In Vienna
12: Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
13: Scared
14: The Lonely End Of The Rink
15: My Music At Work
16: Grace, Too

17: Save The Planet
18: The Shape I'm In
19: New Orleans Is Sinking
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

the shape i'm in!!!
primetimeryan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by primetimeryan »

yikes i definately don't remember writing that review last night, either way, it was a definate treat for me to hear tunes like locked in the trunk of a car and save the planet among all the other favourites. I am just loving how good the new tunes sound live, theres a bunch of them that will definately be staples for years to come, i definately didnt realize how many songs were played but for me anyways the set didnt seem too long, they just blasted through it. But all in all it was a good show, was nice to meet Gord S, Robbie and Paul. They were all genuinely nice guys. Still waiting to meet that elusive Gord D though. Nice to have met the folks at the front from just outside buffalo and welland. Can't wait for the next tiny venue road trip again
smadabeer
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by smadabeer »

Great show overall... a much smaller crowd than a month ago at the HOB, I would guess at 500-600 at the most.

The band seemed to be a bit tired, but nonetheless a great job :thumb: .

Crowd was pretty controlled outside of the tool that threw a beer can towards the stage. Gord was sure to point him\her out at the end of the show, thanking everyone for coming and to the person that threw the crushed beer can 'f**k u'.

Hopefully they will be well rested for Erie tomorrow night :jump
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

primetimeryan wrote:I am just loving how good the new tunes sound live, theres a bunch of them that will definately be staples for years to come
I agree.. Family Band has been my favorite song on the album and it translates so perfectly on stage. I'm sure It'll be in the sets for years to come.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Good show imo...met some cool people (Aaron (spelling ?), Ryan, Rick and the family).

Took home a handkerchief and a setlist. Getting spoiled bringing home some swag after every show :D

It has been a memorable tour for Norine and I.

Cheers...

Dave
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

The first words Gord spoke to the crowd as the band took the stage were "Welcome to the Toledo Zoo". We had a hearty chuckle at that....

Nothing particularly novel about this show; setlist did not contain as many special numbers as the last Cleveland show, but this was a non-sold out Wednesday night affair, so that much was to be expected. It was great hearing 'Locked', which never disappoints. I would have appreciated hearing some other not-oft-played selection instead of "Save the Planet" to open the encore, but so it goes.....

What really blew me away was the sound -- from the HoB balcony, this was probably the best sounding show I've ever heard by any band. A little too much "top end" -- the vocals and hi-hat were a tad bit hissy-- but as a composite, it all sounded so incredibly good that it really spoiled us for the Erie show (which, from the balcony at the Warner Theatre, sounded as poor as any TTH show I've heard in recent years...most likely due to the size and configuration of that old venue. It certainly wasn't designed for amplified electrical instrumentation).

What I was particularly marveling over in Cleveland was the the clarity and richness of the guitars. Langlois' Les Paul sounded exaclty how a Les Paul should -- it's tough to articulate, but that jangly, warm, rough, quality came though better than it normally seems to, and it really added that classic "rock band" flavor to the sound. I so wish they would have played Train Overnight, given how great Pauls LP was sounding....it would have been incredible

Baker's guitars sounded awesome too, especially his Rickenbacker, which he uses for " The Kids Don't Get It". Again, the uniquely-identifiable characteristics of that particular guitar's sound (think The Travelling Wilburys) came shining though in Cleveland moreso than I've heard anywhere else.

By the way, Kids is a superb song, and its live performance was a highlight of each of the three or four shows in which I've seen it played this tour. Incredible song + great energy + terrific execution = standout number.

Despite their antiseptic, corporate qualities, House of Blues venues never fail to deliver shows that look, feel, and sound incredible.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

As always, with thanks to the taper, I just posted "The Shape I'm In" to www.hipfans.com - and it sounds great!
bake364
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 05/16/07: Cleveland: House of Blues

Post by bake364 »

This was my first Hip show. I've been a fan since the mid 1990's... and I don't know why it took me show long to see them. I enjoyed the show very much. I remember Good Life was a tight version,to me Gord almost sounded angry when singing it. Hearing them cover The Band's The Shape I'm In was great!