09/15/07: Charlottetown: Civic Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Yer Not The Ocean
My Music At Work
Grace, Too
Bobcaygeon
The Drop-Off
Ahead By A Century
Courage
Family Band
World Container
Springtime In Vienna
At The Hundredth Meridian
The Lonely End Of The Rink
Long Time Running
In View
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
New Orleans Is Sinking
Fire In The Hole

Train In Vain (The Clash)
Little Bones

I think its in order....

by the way. best night of my life.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

what a show, the post-show was un-real too !!! WOW

nice to finally meet a bunch of ya's, im still wired from the show and all

proper review & pics to come in the morning
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Night of your life, Sean?? To say the least :) Were it not for my fiancee and daughter being in my life, it would have been the night of MY life just WATCHING what happened to you last night!!! Best show of the three we saw this past week, by far, and meeting the boys with all of you after the show just took the cake. I got video of the encounters, and they will be included in the special features of the DVD. Gord D had a particularly funny reaction to the video camera. I was completely surprised at how Johnny rushed over to our group to say hello. All the boys signed everything in sight, and took pictures with all of us in the group, which was probably around 15 or 20 people.
For those of you that have seen the Sydney DVD that we recorded in 2004... this one is better! We were front row centre, with NO tripod, so we passed the camera amongst the three of us to take turns recording, and it turned out fantastic!
I'll let Sean, Darren, Steve, Andrew and Kleh finish up with full show reviews, but I'll end by saying that it was nice meeting all of you on this HipTrip, and I hope you all got home safely.

Cheers!

Rory
Halifax
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

That was one of the best concerts i've ever attended (and i've been to a lot), wow, just incredible. Gord was on fire, the band sounded amazing, our seats were great (front row close to center)...what a night! I just finished watching the clips i recorded (family band, at the hundreth meridan, new orleans is sinking, little bones) & can't wait to see the DVD!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Sounds like a great time - can't wait to hear the rest of the stories, and see the video.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

sean.bonner wrote:Yer Not The Ocean
My Music At Work
Grace, Too
Bobcaygeon
The Drop-Off
Ahead By A Century
Courage
Family Band
World Container
Springtime In Vienna
At The Hundredth Meridian
The Lonely End Of The Rink
Long Time Running
In View
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
New Orleans Is Sinking
Fire In The Hole

Train In Vain (The Clash)
Little Bones

I think its in order....

by the way. best night of my life.
Bonner, great to finally meet ya. You are one lucky bastard. Good on ya mate! :thumb:

This was a phenomenal show. Phenomenal. Gord's voice was spot on. Nobody bothered me on the floor. I had no hassles at all. They played Escape and it rocked like crazy. Family Band was ridiculously good. I got to hear World Container, too, which was one of my hopes. The whole show was terrific. Rink blasted through the speakers and almost blew my head off. The Dropoff was simply mind blowing. I just wish we could have got another encore as it was a relatively short show IMO.

Darren and Rory were cordial and awesome to hang out with, as always. Bonner is a cool chap and I saw him bobbing like a pogo stick for most of the night. Kleh and Sarah, I had a great time at the Dublin before the show with you and the crew. Andrew and his wife, from Calgary, were great folks.

After the show, the guys came out, as Rory said. Gord D must have stayed around for 15 minutes taking pics and signing stuff. I only got one pic with Robbie (thanks for that Rory btw haha) and one signature from Mr Downie but all the guys were cool.

Bonner, take care of that mic!
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Ahh you were the one that got the mic Sean, you lucky bastard! We were a little more to the right, directly in front of Rob Baker.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Rory and Darren...after the show...waiting....

Bonner, with mic AND sticks in hand......atta boy Sean....
kleh, enjoying a beer before the show at the Dublin......
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Whew, what a night in Tor..er..Charlottetown. I thought the setlist was the best of the 3 shows we attended here in the Maritimes. Guys put on a good show entertaining the smaller crowd at the Civic Centre. I doubt anyone left unsatisfied, especially our Mr Bonner. His love of the Hip and his dedication to seeing the guys on their NS,NB and PEI stops was reconized by the band. Given the much abused mic to Sean then Johnny's sticks. Andrew and Tina got Paul's setlist. I got Gord D's.

Being front row centre is just where it's at. The Hip are right in our livingroom almost like a personal show. Boys played a shorter set but it didn't matter. It was great hearing older gems like Escape and Long Time Running. The Train in Vain Clash cover was a nice surprise. The DVD should be amazing. I took 3 or 4 rolls of photos and I know I have some great shots.

After the amazing show we waited a couple of hours outside the arena for the boys to come out. Johnny came out first, was friendly outgoing and chatting with us. No rush, just taking his time meeting us all, signing set lists. Next was Robbie. Then Gord S, Paul and Gord. It was my first time meeting the entire group. I think I had a perma-smile. Got my set list signed by all the guys. I had a picture of Gord jumping during 100th from the Fredericton show. I borrowed Sean's silver sharpie and asked Gord if he would sign it. It took it and went, "Wow, that's some serious height there. (Ricky W was beside him) Hey Rick, whaddaya think? Nice jump eh?" Ricky smiled, laughed and said, "Yeah" Gord signed it "Darren, Up There - Gord Downie" They soon after boarded the bus and headed out. We waved, thanked them and cheered.

It was a night of firsts for me. It was my 10th Hip show, but my first time getting a stage setlist (Gord's none the less!) and my first time meeting the entire band. Just a memorable night for me and many others who waited around after the show.

I'm pretty burnt out today after the long drive back home after the show. It was all worth it of course. Also it was great to meet more Hip fans, and Hipbasers. All great folks, see ya'll again next tour I'm sure.

I'm a bit rushed here writing this (heading to supper). I'll be posting scans of photos as I get them done and more comments will be coming once the DVD is out I'm sure.

Cheers to all.
Darren
Last edited by highlander on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Any idea when we can expect the dvd Darren?? :)
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

wow, sounds like an awesome trip, a little bit jealous but I'm more happy for you guys, good on ya!
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

ryan93 wrote:Any idea when we can expect the dvd Darren?? :)
Rory (wpghipfan) will be doing the DVD. Perhaps sometime this week. Keep an eye on the hip tracker. I still have to email him the pictures off my sd card , as I'm just getting in the door from a weekend wedding in Cape Breton.

Pics of the signed setlist, photo and other C'town pictures @

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dtalbot/hip/

D.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... =597115719

A link to the photos of Charlottetown aftershow...

Rory
Halifax
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

well believe it or not i still dont have time to write a proper review, but i did wake up a few mins early before work this morning to upload some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623262@N00/

ps : that group pic turned out great guys
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

you guys all suck.

:lol: