06/21/08 - Belleville, Ontario - Zwick's Park

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 06/21/08 - Belleville, Ontario - Zwick's Park

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Small wishlist

-Cordelia (it could happen again)
-Inevitability of Death (one of a short list I've still never heard live)
-Summers Killing Us
-Eldorado
-Gift Shop
-Are You Ready
-Don't Wake Daddy
-Fire In The Hole

I have more but can't be be too greedy. I have a feeling they may reveal a new tune aswell.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Does anyone think it would be cool to open an outdoor show with FIGHT?

Similar to how they opened with Don't Wake Daddy last summer, I think it would be a cool song with some sweet guitar sounds to get everyone charged up and let Gord do his thing! Something about this song mixed with fresh air and the smell of a few joints as the sun sets gets me pumped haha
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Mr. Lahey wrote:I have a feeling they may reveal a new tune as well.
I'm assuming they'll play at least two -- if the quote that showed up on tthip's youtube page last week was legit (http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13237).
These summer 2008 shows should have some interesting setlists. Enjoy!
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Just got in from the show. It's 2am. First of all, no new tunes tonight but it was a great venue and a good time.

Here is what they played by album. I'll probably miss a few because I'm dead tired but I'm sure someone will post the official setlist in the morning.

Blow at High Dough
New Orleans is Sinking

Longtime Running

Courage
Fully Completely
Wheat Kings

Grace, Too
Nautical Disaster

Gift Shop
Springtime in Vienna
Ahead by a Century

Poets
Bobcaygeon

Music at Work

It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken

Yer Not The Ocean
Lonely End of the Rink
In View
The Drop Off
World Container
Family Band

Well that's all I can remember for now. I'm pooped from driving 6+ hours today.

Lates
Jamie
Last edited by thehip11 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Sadly left my notepad in the car, so we'll have to hold on for all three setlists for the day. Something to get to tomorrow I suppose. This is how the Hip list should look I think.

Ocean
Music
Grace
Drop Off
Courage
Good Life
ABAC
In View
Giftshop
World Container
Long Time Running
Poets
Springtime
Bob C
Nautical
Family Band
Fully
New O
---
Rink
Wheat Kings
Blow

There was a last minute change made to the setlist before the band hit the stage. I'm also pretty sure there was a second encore scheduled, but the combo of everyone leaving and the fight that broke out during New O might have scuttled that.

The day was worth while. It wasn't the fuckery I was expecting (ie not a ton of fights, drunks, and lunacy, although I hope the idiot who shot of the firecracker before World Container got what was coming to him). The Hip's set was missing something though. For an off-album show, there should have been a little more to it. This show had a very 2002 feel to it, for better or worse.

Oh well. You can't win them all. More when I have my notepad.

Cheers,

Pat
metronome
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by metronome »

There was definitely a last minute switch of an encore song. It looked like Billy Ray scratched out the second song of the encore and replaced whatever it was with Wheat Kings. I don't think there was a second encore planned, it looked like there was just three songs on the list, but I can't be sure.
Marcus1970
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Marcus1970 »

metronome wrote:There was definitely a last minute switch of an encore song. It looked like Billy Ray scratched out the second song of the encore and replaced whatever it was with Wheat Kings.
Perhaps it was Summer Is Killing Us that was dropped. Apparently it was the only song from soundcheck that didn't make it on the setlist.

I'm surprised they are still including so many World Container tunes on the setlist. I thought they would have narrowed it down to only 2 or 3 songs. Nice to see them include Drop Off but I would of expected Meridian and Fireworks in place of World Container and Ocean.

Hope everyone had a great time!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

just a few comments of mine about last nights show ...

1. Great setting for a concert. I spent most of the show sitting to stage left. There was a hill similar to the Molson ampitheatre where you pretty much have a birds eye view of a birds eye view.

2. Sound. As far a some outdoor concerts go the sound seems to travel in waves. Not last night! You could hear the lyrics clear and percise. Near the end of the setlist we began to make our way ahead of the crowds. Even at the hill-top furthest from the stage they sounded great!

3. Drunks. Not too bad. Most people were respectful of others. I know Gord pointed out a fan or two near the end of their set. Once you get all those people near stage-front pushing and shoving tempers sail off. But in general the crowd was pretty good. Actually I must admit of all the outdoor concerts last evenings show was ranked near the top. The police made their precence but really were not going outta their way to bother anyone!

4. Personal highlights:
- ABAC. Robbie had a great lead. I'm not sure if he normally changes guitars but last night the roadie passed off a second guitar to robbie who continued his lead. (maybe he broke a string?) Wow. Great to hear that screaming guitar!
- Family Band - again just love to hear Robbies guitar in that song. Groovin!
- Long Time Running - nuf said

Enjoy Calgary!
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

Im waiting in Calgary right now.... this ontario boy made the road trip, and hope to get a setlist like that.... not too bad of show in Belleville, hope we get a good one out here.

Virgin fest last night was pretty cool... STP rocked the house and the flaming lips were really intresting live.

And face to face.... enuf said.

Ill try to keep track tonite and post up a review, might just be a photo review...

:thumb: :thumb:
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Sarah Harmer
Pendulums
Almost
The Hideout
"Late Bloomer" (new song)
Oleander
Escarpment Blues
"The City" (new song)
Around This Corner
Dandelions and Bullet Holes
Silver Road (w/ GD)
Weakened State

Sarah was great. We were entering the park as Pendulums started. Can't imagine there was a song before it. Sadly no Loadstar, but hey, that's what the song says anyway, right? It was nice to see her plugged in for most of the set, and the new songs show a lot of promise. She joked with the frat boys doing the Hip chant in the pit that they'd play Hip songs later, as they had gotten a sneak peak at the setlist and learned a couple of tracks

SRB
Love at the End of the World -->
(short drum solo) With a Bullet
Hard Road
Fixed to Ruin
Oh Maria
Them Kids (with a beautiful flub by Sam, forgetting the cords to the intro and laughing through the first couple of lines)
B-Down
Give Me a Reason
Up Sister
Bridge
Mindflood

Sam's set was solid. On more than one occasion my friend and I looked to each other and said, "we've gotta go to Bala don't we?" Possibly the highlight was about twenty feet away from us where the family members from Sam's band stood, including his wife and daughter. Arguably the cutest thing I've seen at a rock show since the lead singer of the Supersuckers brought his kid up during Rockin in the Free World at a Pearl Jam show was Sam's daughter with her pink headphones on waiving to Daddy up on stage. You could think that the family members would be able to take a show in stride -- they've seen hundreds of them by now. But not Sam's wife. She was so into the set. She wasn't his partner -- she was his fan. It was a sight to see.

Hip, in order.
Ocean
Music
Grace
Drop Off
Good Life
ABAC (Robbie electric outro)
In View
Giftshop
Courage
World
LTR
Poets (Swim outro)
Springtime
Bob C -->
Nautical
Fully
Family
(Voodoo Chile tease -- Robbie and Johnny)
New O
--
Rink
Wheat
Blow

This set still isn't sitting right with me. I guess it had me until Poets and Springtime and I just couldn't get back -- imagine if they'd played Fireworks too. Oy. The first four songs hit like a rocket. You could tell the show would be something else, but not necessarily the "all bets are off kind of setlist" (see opening with Fire in the Hole in Barrie in 2003). The crowd really pleased me, not necessarily because of how well the behaved themselves (comparatively) but more with how into it they were. As much as I hate crowd surfing, it was cool to see bodies up in arms during ABAC. I think In View comes off terribly live, but the crowd participation alone should probably make it a staple (Although if I had my way, I'd take the guitar from GD on that one and put a casio in front of him -- it would make the song). Great sing-a-longs on Courage and LTR, solid receptions to the new material, it was a crowd to be proud of. And the Hip's performance was great. It sounded way too good be in an outdoor venue that's never really been used as an outdoor venue. Despite a couple of glitches (there seemed to be something wrong with Robbie's amp all night), and some mis communication, it was a pretty flawless show.

It just feels like one I've seen before. I felt the same way after the Aug 1 show at the Amp on 2002. I'm not unhappy. I'm not about to hang my jersey from the rafters. I just don't know. Maybe tonight in Calgary would be the equivalent of Aug 2 (which blew the doors off of night one).

Anyway, that's me. I can still say, for the first time ever (well -- second) it was worth the drive to Belleville.

Cheers,

Pat
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Mr. Lahey wrote:Small wishlist

-Cordelia (it could happen again)
-Inevitability of Death (one of a short list I've still never heard live)
-Summers Killing Us
-Eldorado
-Gift Shop
-Are You Ready
-Don't Wake Daddy
-Fire In The Hole

I have more but can't be be too greedy. I have a feeling they may reveal a new tune aswell.
Well I only got one song off my wishlist. The show was decent. Maybe I've seen too many and thus I expect too much now. Nonetheless I was really into the first half of the show, pretty much until they finished Nautical then I got a bit bored with the Yer Favourites setlist. They seemed to butcher Rink a bit, but Wheat Kings erased that quick. The drums sounded awesome and Johnny Fay was on the money last night! Robbie also had a wicked show, and ABAC and GoodLife were definately highlights for me. Also nice to hear Grace Too for the first time in a couple years.

As far as the crowd not misbehaving, I tend to disagree. There were some real jackasses but I guess fairly average jackass content for an outdoor Hip show. The firecracker plus a few full Coke bottles and glowsticks being thrown around was shameful. Still not as bad as Fort York though.

It's too bad Summer was scratched. I thought that was a lock considering yesterday was the first day of summer, and the boys tend to enjoy keeping that one in the set.

Overall a good energetic show, but I'd probably rank it 11 out of 11 for my Hip shows. That just means the other 10 have all been that much better! :thumb:
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

I was super pumped for yesterdays show. I guess I was expecting to possibly hear a new track or at least some lyrics disguised as ranting/rambling somewhere in the mix.

It was a beautiful day for the event. (IMO perfect weather, the sun was hidden throughout most of the event and it was still quite warm out)

I guess I really have the same opinion of this show as it seems a fair number of other Hipbasers do according to their comments... The first few songs had my complete attention, but then as the show went on, I found myself barely even paying attention to what was going on... I can't honestly say that it's The Hip's fault that I seemed to lose interest as they did an amazing job all night, but I guess it just wasn't quite the same for me as some of the previous shows have been.

In reality though, I think my discontent has more to do with myself than anything else... I always end up getting into a situation where I can't see shit and then I just let my quiet frustration eat away at me...

We had an excellent place to stand and watch from for some of SRB as well as the first few songs from The Hip... So good in fact, that instead of trying to make our way up closer to the front, we refrained as we had an excellent view with a fair amount of standing room (which of course you expect to fill up)...

But as the show goes on more and more people are trying to pack themselves in and we found ourselves completely surrounded by people who were completely wasted and pushing and shoving their way in front of us... There were literally two people within a couple of feet from us who completely passed out and had to be carried away by their friends, and we seen a couple more guys all banged up getting dragged away or pulled through the crowd by (what would appear to be) their girlfriends...

For the first time, I actually left a Hip concert feeling sort of empty... I can't really look back upon anything that made it special or stand out from the rest and make me go "Wow, that was fuckin' awesome."

Hopefully i'll have a better experience to report on about the show in Ottawa on July 3rd!
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

i was totaly into the show... we were up front on the fence but there were to many big frat guys manhandling everyone pushing and screaming and being realy realy rude... i saw a dude grab a chick and throw her down... crowd surfers were lame, especially the kid who crowd surfed in a wheelchair... people could get seriously hurt... i dont know the first half was great, sound was right on but i guess i have just seen better shows... saw a few people snapin pics of my HIP FAN license plates though which made my night!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

I spent most of their set on the hilly grass side. Sound was great while most people were sitting and taking it in. When I left he hill and moved closer I was able to reach 50 or so feet from the stage with a decent amount of room between me and the next person. I grooved out beside a lady who was fully and completely into her own groove. And every once and a while let out my own coos!

I believe I mentioned it before but Gord became increasing impatient and pissed off at the guy causing the shit in the pit. I think Gord's words went something like this .... "if that's all you take from tonight then you're completely lost"! and he repeated it.

I enjoyed the energy of the stage crowd but the grass was good too !
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

it was rough up front especially at the start... :censored: we went back cuz the girls i was with were getting manhandled...