SHN versus MP3 and WAV

Looking to set up a trade, tree or a B&P?

Moderator: Moderators

hip_bond
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

SHN versus MP3 and WAV

Post by hip_bond »

Why do people like SHN so much? why do tapers and ftp hosts wish that these SHN shows not be turned into mp3's? why is SHN the best for these shows? i understand the differences between wav and mp3's but i am new to SHN's please assist me in understanding these music encoding types and your opinions on such types.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

The main reason for shn files is that it is a lossless compression meaning that the original recording remains intact. The mp3 "throws" out some of the original DATA and results in much smaller files, however, If I get a cd from you converted from mp3 into wav. Then I rip the wavs and convert them again to mp3 for my server or whatever, more data is lost eventually the sound suffers and the recording is ruined. Many people argue that you can hear a vast difference in MP# sourced shows and SHN sourced shows. Anyway, a fantastic tutorial and basically anything you ever wanted to know about shn or tape trading can be found at http://wiki.etree.org/ Hope this helps!!!!
:P
Sean
hip_bond
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by hip_bond »

thanks eags it does. btw love your ftp site. however it takes friggin forever to download a show when its a SHN compare to mp3.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

you are correct, that is a problem, email me privately and let me know what show you are looking for