SHN corruption

Looking to set up a trade, tree or a B&P?

Moderator: Moderators

hip_bond
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

SHN corruption

Post by hip_bond »

when i want to make my shns into wavs i use MKW software from etree.org. sometimes when i use md5 checksum it says some of these have failed. i try to convert anyways. no luck. i try to redownload from ftp site the corrupt file. file turns out to still be corrupt after second download. what do i do now? is there a way to fix the file? do i have to find a different source for my file?

ive read all the faq on etree and nothing has helped that i can find. is there some knowledge that you know of that i dont? or is this just the risk and hardships of dealing with usings shns?

thnx for all help ahead of time....

hip_bond
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

SHN's are crap!!!!!!! They take 6 hundred years to download the damn things. Those dumb md5 files don't even do anything anyways. Don't use MKW to convert either. Just use winamp. Here are the steps:

1) Go to Visualization
2) Select Plug-In
3) Under Plug-In's select OutPut
4) Click on NullSoft Disk Writer Plug-in c2.0c
5) Click Configuer
6) A box will appear and then select the output directory for the wave files
7) After selecting this, close the box and double click the first file and it will run through all files converting them to wave.

This might sound tough but it's really easy and it works every time. I've also found that you can play with the equalizer if the show is bad quality, up some of the sound levels and the make sure the equalizer is selected and when it converts the files, it will convert with the new quality you want.

Hope this helps people.

Jamie
hip_bond
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by hip_bond »

thnx buddy. heheh i guess you could have phoned, emailed, icqed, or just come over to tell me but this works too. this way everyone knows another way to do it. thnx.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

Guys, I don' pay much attention to the md5, I know my shows, when I convert them back to wav to burn for someone, and forget to first delete the md 5, when I convert them back to SHN it doesn't overwrite but instead adds the files to the list so when you run the md5 check it will say several files failed. If the corrupt shns are from our ftp let me know so we can fix them. Talk soon, Jamie enjoy the shows~~!!!

Sean
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

I was wondering why on some recordings there are messages saying not to rip to mp3 when it is in shn? I find that with a phone line connection the time involved in d/l shn makes it not worth it. But it is getting harder to find mp3 recordings of the recent shows.....
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

This was covered in a previous post, but I can't find it right now. Basically, SHN is lossless, meaning that if you convert it to wav 1000 times and back, you lose no quality. IF i have an mp3 sourced show, I convert it to wav to burn to cd, I send you the cd, you convert it to mp3 again, it loses more quality, as this show circulates it keep losing quality, I think you get my drift. So that message is on shows because if they are shn you know they are original, and that the sound you hear is the same as the original recording. Of course the police aren't going to bust down your door for converted a show to mp3 but many traders don't want to collect mp3 sourced shows. If anyone has something to add feel free, I am by no means an expert at this.

Sean
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

Thanks eags, that makes sense. I guess my bigest problem is the time involved to d/l, luckily there are lots of people out there willing to do trades and b&p's until i get a faster connection.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

I am always willing to do b+P's just email or pm me with the what you are interested in!
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

The next generation of SHN is slowly coming along. Its called FLAC, alot more possitives. http://flac.sourceforge.net/
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.