11/05/09: GoodLife Fitness "Private" Show: ACC; Toronto, Ont

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Re: 11/05/09: GoodLife Fitness "Private" Show: ACC; Toronto, Ont

Post by mojo_mattv »

HipFan67 wrote:Just got back to London. I have to say that was the lamest crowd ever.
I concur, not a bad show, weak ass crowd. That's to be expected with so many people unfamiliar with their music showing up for a show, but whos idea was it to hand out glow sticks by the fistful at the door? I mean, come on, you're not allowed to have a bottle cap on your coke but they'll give you hand sized bits of hard plastic. They were being used as irradescent hand grenades for the majority of the evening and at one point people decided it was a good idea to barage the band. Gord shut them down ever so hilariously. "I know maybe in some cultures it's considered polite to throw your shit at performers but last time I checked, it wasn't in this one..." It mostly stopped after that. Anyways, good show definately not the greatest I've been to, but hell, for free I can't complain I had a good time. Got to meet Gibie as well. :music
primetimeryan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by primetimeryan »

my 25th hip show tonight, by far the biggest douche bag crowd. a bunch of steroid induced meahheads throwing shit at the stage all night. i was really pissed at that. good way to apperciate having the best band in the country playing for you likely for free (i ended up paying for tickets, my birthday couldnt miss this). i would not have blamed gord if he just pulled the plug about 6-7 songs in and never came back...i actually expected them to....despite all that, solid show
thespr
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by thespr »

Just got back home after the private ACC show and agree the crowd was lame.

I have never seen a crowd in such perpetual motion.. up and down the stairs like they were still trying to work out.
I don't know what the heck they were doing...

Saw a bunch of silverbacks (oldsters) leaving after a couple of songs.. wtf? If you don't know why you are going, give the tickets to someone who would.

Band was solid..crowd was flaccid..
Almost Hip
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Almost Hip »

a bunch of steroid induced meatheads
crowd was flaccid..
I see a conection
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Great show as always! I dont care what the haters say.Well worth the $80.00 I paid to bring a newby! We had alot of room to move around and loved the show! Yeh a greatest hits setlist but hey I got Gords setlist and johnnys stick. Any Hip day is a good day.Props to Chris,Mark,Dave.
HighwayGirl
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by HighwayGirl »

Tonight was hip show#4! Any chance that some tapers made it in?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

As Vic said, the boys always put on a good show.

I had the good/misfortune to be sitting right behind Patch (owner/founder of Good Life), Silken Laumann (Olympic champion rower... And a worse dancer than Elaine) and a bunch of what I assume were upper level management; this meant there was a constant flow of people coming over and congratulating them.

The non-stop talking and perpetual motion of the rest of the crowd around me was very annoying but I was still at a Hip show with friends so what do I really have to complain about?

No tapers.
Last edited by chris on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokey
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Smokey »

Sorry to0 hear about the rude crowd last night. GLad Gord put em in thier place though. Greatest Hit setliset but what do you expect for a free show. Still, YOU SAW THE HIP so it had to be a good time. Hoping for a little better setlist tonight in Salamanca, maybe 1 or 2 rare gems??? That would be GOOD STUFF.

Enjoy the weekend folks. I will have a Sabres hoodie and jeans on tonight if anybody wants to introduce.

LATE
HipFan67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HipFan67 »

chris wrote: The non-stop talking and perpetual motion of the rest of the crowd around me was very annoying
Agreed. It was annoying hearing people "chit chatting" all around us. Zero atmosphere and no energy in the crowd whatsoever. I'll be in Syracuse with my wife and daughter on Saturday for our 7th show since May, and like everyone else that will be there we payed for our tickets and want to be there. I know it will be a great night.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

I was given a pair of tickets by a co-worker and they were floor seats at the back. Obviously not much of a view from at the back so we traded with a couple up in the seats for a more elevated view. The crowd stunk as everyone has already mentioned. Glow sticks were being thrown left right and centre and I found myself staying very alert in case I got beened with one in the head. I've never seen so many people getting up and walking around during a concert. I'd say maybe only 10% of the people there even gave a care that they were getting a free hip show.

It's too bad thehip can't do free shows like this for fans would really appreciate it, ie hipbase/hip.com fans only.

Anyways, I guess I can't complain too much. We got 3 acoustic songs and a free hip show that was totally unexpected.
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

So which one of them looked like they had the flu? I'm sure it wasn't Paul, he doesn't get sick.
barkley
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by barkley »

Denver gets cancelled due to sickness (read: Low ticket sales/Too much partying in Vegas)
And Toronto gets a free show for a bunch of Wankers,

It's official, I'm with western Canada I hate Toronto
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

barkley wrote:Denver gets cancelled due to sickness (read: Low ticket sales/Too much partying in Vegas)
And Toronto gets a free show for a bunch of Wankers,

It's official, I'm with western Canada I hate Toronto
is this some sort of penis envy? i got to see TTH 6 times in toronto this year. OOPS 8) :lol:

overall the show was great. the crowd sing a long for courage was weak+

there were lots of empty seats in the stands towards the back, which meant you could have a whole row to yourself

i could guess the setlist walking in and i'm definitely A OK with the hits. i wouldn't be a fan if it weren't for their greatest hits and i never tire of fully completely/NOIS. i would have loved more new songs and that would be my only complaint.

free shirts on the way out(no mention of the TTH on the ticket stub OR the shirt)

it must be hard for the band to get juiced for corporate gigs...but i bet the payout for them was great!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

I remember after giving the crowd shit Gord sang what was maybe one of the angriest most staccato version of Goodlife I've ever heard. Highlights for this show were definitely Gord giving the crowd shit, Wheat Kings and Courage acoustic (a first time for me for both of them) and finally getting to hear goodlife this tour. I also noticed, with much surprise, that despite such a lame crowd they really got going for Love Is a First. I thought that was unusual with it being a new song and all. I think that's gonna be a song that'll be a show mainstay for years to come.
Last edited by mojo_mattv on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibie
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Gibie »

Chris... I should have come over and said hey... I was right in front of Patch... Row 3 on the floor.

thehip11 - The warm-up show in the spring at the Danforth Music Hall was ONLY promoted to thehip.com fan members... only 1,000 people. So not free, but basically a fan only concert.

I had an awesome time. Row 3, left of center was amazing... luckily I was surrounded by fans and couldn't see any wankers! haha

At the end when Gord was crawling into the crowd letting people say "music at work" I was lucky enough to say it into the mic. Then as he was moving past me, using me to balance I fell over and smashed my shin... blood gushing! I'll post pictures when I get them back. How can I make it a scar so I have a keepsake forever? haha :D

I hear you all about the crowd, just remmeber that this was a secret show and most people had no idea who it was. I'm VERY glad that GoodLife picked The Hip rather than some other band!

Great show! Loved the classics.