2011-06-30 - Charlottetown Summerfest - Charlottetown, PEI

Been to a show? Post your review.
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Re: 2011-06-30 - Charlottetown Summerfest - Charlottetown, P

Post by ryan93 »

I don't know why i didn't go tonight...i just watched a clip of "fully completely" from tonight...already regret passing!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

The band was ON POINT. The Trews and The Hip rocked HARD! I was glad to hear three new songs, although it was tough to find any sort of melody in any of them. Maybe they'll grow on me. One of them sounded decent while the other two (Streets, Drip) didn't sound great. Of course, the first time I heard "Ocean", I didn't think much of it and it grew on me quickly after. Robbie was tearing it up on Fully and Gord's voice sounded great. It was mostly a greatest hits, but they performed the hell out of them. Not sure how many of these shows I'll go to in the future. I'll probably end up going (like this time) but it's tough to keep going to basically the same show, no matter how great the energy is from the band. Next concert on my hit list is Hey, Rosetta in August in Summerside. God willing, I'll be able to see them tear it up then.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Guessing there were no surprises and the setlist was the same as Moncton?
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

nhaste wrote:Guessing there were no surprises and the setlist was the same as Moncton?

From memory, and in no particular order:

Grace
Blow
Bones
Giftshop
Courage
Fully
NOIS/Nautical
Wheat Kings
Little Bones
New Song
New Song
New Song
It's a Good Life
Kids Don't Get It
Poets
Fiddler's
Bobcaygeon
Love Is A First
Meridian

That's all I can remember..Might be leaving one or two out. So, almost identical to Moncton, yeah.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

tigerthelion wrote:
nhaste wrote:Guessing there were no surprises and the setlist was the same as Moncton?

Grace
Blow
Bones
Giftshop
Courage
Fully
NOIS/Nautical
Wheat Kings
Little Bones
New Song
New Song
New Song
It's a Good Life
Kids Don't Get It
Poets
Fiddler's
Bobcaygeon
Love Is A First
Meridian

That's all I can remember..Might be leaving one or two out. So, almost identical to Moncton, yeah.
Glad I didn't make the trip. This set list must be getting boring for The Hip, even!!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

ikky99 wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:

Grace
Blow
Bones
Giftshop
Courage
Fully
NOIS/Nautical
Wheat Kings
Little Bones
New Song
New Song
New Song
It's a Good Life
Kids Don't Get It
Poets
Fiddler's
Bobcaygeon
Love Is A First
Meridian

Glad I didn't make the trip. This set list must be getting boring for The Hip, even!!
Yeah, I hear ya. I wanted to hear some new music and got to hear three new songs so I'm cool with that. I can't imagine that playing a mostly greatest hits show for the 4000th time would be all that invigorating for the band, either. They didn't look bored or anything, but it's gotta be tough to "get up" for playing some of those songs every night. Robby did go a bit crazy on Fully, which was a definite highlight. I could listen to Grace, Too every show, too and not be disappointed. As much as WATS isn't my favourite album, I was kind of hoping to hear Depression Suite or Struggle. I forgot to add Dropoff, MMAW, and Century to the setlist, also. I was happy to hear Dropoff.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

ryan93 wrote:I don't know why i didn't go tonight...i just watched a clip of "fully completely" from tonight...already regret passing!
Can you hook up the link please and thank e?
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Here's the clip i was referring too, it's not very good & is just part of the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8-Ty3NGyw
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Come to think of it, The Hip played In View at the Charlottetown show, too.
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

I didnt make it down, but this is pretty cool, and if memory serves they went to the same pub after their phantom power show in ch'town way back when (daniel is friend of a friend!)

http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/Loca ... -forget-/1

Brother from Another Mother members Daniel Albert, left and Mike Hannah, right, hang out with Gordon Downie of the Tragically Hip at Hunter’s Ale House in Charlottetown. Submitted photo

Brother from Another Mother members Daniel Albert, left and Mike Hannah, right, hang out with Gordon Downie of the Tragically Hip at Hunter’s Ale House in Charlottetown.

Published on July 1, 2011
Published on July 1, 2011
Ryan Quigley RSS Feed

Topics :
Tragically Hip , Ale House , Charlottetown , Kensington , Summerside

Walking into Hunter's Ale House in Charlottetown on Wednesday night, Daniel Albert and Mike Hannah, also known as the band Brother from Another Mother, knew they had a special crowd to please.

Hannah, 22 years old from Kensington, and Albert, 29 years old from Summerside, are only in their second summer of performing.

Inside the pub they noticed professional hockey player Dion Phaneuf and actress Elisha Cuthbert awaiting the performance from the acoustic duo. After beginning their set, they happened to notice a man in the audience with a large hat and with him a man with long hair and a goatee.

The men they noticed were Gordon Downie and Rob Baker of one of the bands they idolize - the Tragically Hip. The Hip, who played Thursday night in Charlottetown stopped into Hunter's to check out some local music.

After their first set, Albert and Hannah spoke to the band members who complimented their set.

Soon after, Downie and Baker left, but rhythm guitar player Paul Lanlois and drummer Johnny Fay stuck around to watch the rest of the set.

During the middle of their second set, Lanlois and Fay approached the band. They asked if they could join the duo on stage.

As the band played with the members of the Hip, audience members' fingers began flying away on cellphones until the pub was eventually filled.

Langlois and Fay played with the members of Brother from Another Mother for a while, even playing the Tragically Hip's hit song "New Orleans is Sinking."

After a having night they will never forget, the two Prince County men were visibly excited about their unexpected help.

"I was nervous. That's an idol band for both of us. It's the Tragically Hip," said Hannah. "Probably the best experience I've ever had."

"It's the Hip right? Canadian legends. I mean how many people are going to watch them (Thursday) and we shared the stage with those legends," said Albert.

Hannah and Albert said the show was the biggest they've ever played.

"Once in a while, like every second show, you'll get a good crew that is up dancing. There was a lot of people up last night," said Hannah.

"My shirt was soaked. We were dancing the whole time, foot stomping," said Albert.

Hannah, who just bought a brand new guitar, was hoping there was some memorabilia left on his guitar from Langlois playing it.

"Hopefully there's some scratches on the back," he said.

"Now we can say my drum and his guitar had some legends rock it," said Albert.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I had a fantastic time at this concert. I had brought a ton of friends with me to the Moncton show, and then they all went back to Saint John, and my best friend and I trekked on to Charlottetown.

This was the third time I saw them on the Charlottetown waterfront. The first two times the crowd was absolutely fucking batshit insane in 2006 and 2008.

Me and my buddy were three feet from front and center with room all around us, not cramped at all during the entire set. We drank at a friends during The Trews (we could hear them from his patio). As soon as we heard Poor Ol' Broken Hearted Me start, we knew it was their last song. By the time the boys came out, we were front and center and it took zero effort at all.

The venue in Charlottetown is gorgeous, with boats passing behind during all the shows they would have at the venue.

Streets Ahead and Poets
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston