Hipbase Staff

2015-07-04 - Canandaigua, New York

Post by sean.bonner »

Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center

'And I hate that for,
For the things I'm thinking
When the clouds are low,
700 and sinking'
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: 2015-07-04 - Canandaigua, New York

Post by thompson girl »

Grace, too
Music @ Work
In View
ABAC
NOIS

Fully

At Transformation
Poets
Bobcaygeon
Nautical
Blow

--------

I was off the grid all day with no access to roaming or wi-fi, so I had no idea what time doors or show time was. I assumed the usual 9pm show time. Luckily, I got there early enough. I was sitting in the back for a bit and then noticed Brendan put on the "intro" music, turning it up. I thought, no, they can't be coming on yet, the place isn't even half full yet. Went out to grab a beer, then heard a cheer, and yes, they were on around 8:10! I wonder how many people ended up missing a good chunk of the show?

I had a fantastic seat - row 2, centre, on the aisle. What a cool venue - slightly smaller than Art Park, but still a nice outdoor venue. The row 1 people were on a riser with a bar in front of them, so they couldn't go right down in front of the stage. In the last set though, security didn't seem to care, and we all were able to go right up to the stage. That was pretty awesome.

Set list was boring I suppose, but the guys sure weren't. This show completely made up for the Canada Day show for me, which I hated. The fans, that is, its not the band I hate, its their fans. The Canada Day partiers around me were all acting like idiots.

There was a fellow right behind me with a pretty elaborate mic set up (compared to others I've seen - i.e., Wesley's hand held!), and there was another near the soundboard, so hopefully those guys will share these somewhere. I definitely want to hear this one again.
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

As an American, I can say that I will NEVER see them on Canada Day (in Canada) again. Just the worst.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

I gotta say, it's kind of a bummer that they're still touring the same Fully Completely setlist for this entire summer/fall run. Any hype from the reissue promotion has long since died, and it would have been amazing if they had taken an "anything goes" Pearl Jam style approach to these shows instead of the usual boring paint-by-numbers setlist. This is the main reason why I've lost interest in them as a live band. They don't take chances anymore, and that makes me sad. At this point I'm just looking forward to their new album. At least that will provide the fans with something fresh and different.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Well, I still stand by what I said about the guys not being boring. Watch Rob at the end of Pigeon Camera last night:

Roman D
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Roman D »

My review of the show at CMAC. If you like this article, please like it on the City Newspaper website. Thank you very much!!
http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/M ... ip-at-cmac

The last time I saw The Tragically Hip in concert, the Canadian band didn't yet have its own postage stamp, and Bill Clinton was the president. That was 15 long years ago, so when Gord Downie and company announced an area gig, I filed it under "must see." The Hip did not disappoint as it rocked the enthusiastic house at CMAC on the Fourth of July working in a pre-fireworks celebration that was made even better by a complete performance of classic album, "Fully Completely."

The Hip did not slow down a bit during a nearly 2-hour set. Charismatic and eccentric front man Gord Downie's voice was vigorous while the rest of the band was at the top of its game. Downie still can't dance though; he twisted and twitched and possibly twerked -- moving around like an erratic marionette at times but owning the stage regardless. You could almost imagine him grabbing your arm and miming his own life story on a train trip through the Canadian Rockies.

Downie walked onstage in a white suit, black shoes and fedora as the band members picked up their instruments, then it was off with "Grace, Too." There is no better opening line to get things started than "He said I'm Tragically Hip." The band's second tune "My Music at Work" whipped the crowd into action. A fan favorite, "New Orleans is Sinking," slipped through the cracks of American radio but the heavy, bluesy groove got the audience swaying like an old time revival.

After a quick changeover, five video panels descended for the "Fully Completely" portion of the show. The Hip ripped through its greatest album as imagery was projected including grainy film of a snow storm. Two of the album's strongest numbers, "At the Hundredth Meridian" and "Fifty Mission Cap" produced some of the night's cooler moments: both tunes demonstrated the cohesive energy of this extraordinary rock band.

The only stage banter all evening was the farewell, "Thank you music lovers." It led to an encore that ended too quickly with "Blow at High Dough." Downie who had been shedding souvenirs into the audience all night was handed a bouquet of flowers at the end, lovingly bestowed by a fan.