2016-08-16 - Hamilton, Ontario

posthead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2016-08-16 - Hamilton, Ontario

Post by posthead »

Stumbled onto a video on YouTube where Gord is interviewed, and they ask him what the best city is for live music.

He says "Hamilton". Not sure if he meant playing live there or just seeing a show live.

Maybe because Hamilton doesn't pull any punches - it will tell you where you stand with it. Like it did tonight.

Every show has been great, for each city, in its own way. What a tour.
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

blacksox12 wrote:That was another stellar set list tonight. Looking forward to what Ottawa brings.
Id love to hear we are the same
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by blacksox12 »

Scotty12 wrote:
blacksox12 wrote:That was another stellar set list tonight. Looking forward to what Ottawa brings.
Id love to hear we are the same
MAW or IBE would be great for me.
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Instant reaction: this was the best show of the four I've seen on this tour. Maybe the best arena show I've seen. Maybe the best period.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Here's my best attempt at a transcript from the last encore of the night.

" It was a lot of fun. That's the main idea. That is the main idea. None of it would've last, much longer than the particular phone you're shooting it on. That's OK, I'm not an anti phone shooter. But it will be the little feelings here and there that pop up. OK? Alright. Our love and thanks from the band, ah, says thank you Hamilton. Where did the band go? Alright then see you later"

The energy in that building was off the charts. Incredible
ImprovisationalSkill
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by ImprovisationalSkill »

One of the best sets so far, especially with WC! Energy in the building was great.
Gord's story of "Sinclair going upstairs to get paid" the 325 bucks when they played their first gig in front of ZERO-NOBODY brought tears to my eyes.
Ottawa WATS and IBE would be great.
johnwblake
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by johnwblake »

Wow... Just Wow... I think this might have been the best Hip show I've ever seen! Gord was smokin and the band was just fantastic! Crowd was loud, full of love and just awesome. Thanks Juan for everything! I'm beat and off to bed.

"It's been a pleasure doing business with you!"
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

That was the most passionate rendition of Grace I've ever seen. A tear was shed.

People in Hamilton sure like to drink beer at concerts! The guy beside me must've seen maayyybe 8 songs. My thing this tour is to use the toilet during first break. Here's what I observed during said breaks at 3 shows:
Vancouver - concourse was a ghost town. I was literally the only person in the bathroom.
Toronto - a small beer line and a line for the pisser.
Hamilton - concourse RAMMED. Beer lines were insane, merch counter was a mess.

Then there was a fight outside on the way back to my car. Ahh, Hamilton. Never change!!
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

Great day with my daugher.. good seats surrounded by nice folks. She tells me it was our 9th show together starting 17 years ago. Row behind us had a family of four with a young girl and a younger brother ( brought back memories of our first family show we took in together many years ago)
We danced and we sung the night away together and etched another lifelong memory that we can both treasure...sharing a farewell

I was expecting her to be quite emotional , but it never happened...she relished the fact that Gord is wrapping things up like only he could
Me on the other hand pretty much broke down at the end of Scared....just couldn't hold it in any longer

We will watch from the sidelines now.... jesus how time flies

Use it up folks
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I had a side stage view last night, directly in line with Paul. It was a neat view, and I got to see stuff I normally miss sitting face on. Like Gord trying to walk a straight line along his mic cord.

Some memorable moments for me:

After Eldorado, Gord trying to do the move where he picks up the mic with his feet. Didn't make it, and says: "I used to be able to do that". Funny, but sad at the same time.

I noticed that Johnny switched drum kits during Grace. I would never have noticed had I not seen it. I always assumed there were drums going the entire song.

Coming out after the first encore break and introducing Gift shop as "Thank You".

The melodies of Gord and Paul in Fiddlers choked me up. So beautiful.

Gord S. was jumping all over the place during Twist My Arm. So much so that I actully uttered a "whoah" at one point!

Loved all of the talking by Gord. Made the show all that more personal, and made it seem like we were in a bar, and not a big hockey arena. "Where'd the band go"?

On to Ottawa tomorrow. Didn't want these last few shows to come so quickly.
Last edited by thompson girl on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

thanks for the setlist moosehead

some random unorganized thoughts...
it's becoming a real treat not knowing each first song of each show. great mix up
courage for gord defines this tour
not a fan of the white hankie waving thing but to each their own
in sarnia was nailed perfectly. so perfectly...i was a little worried that it wouldn't be so much releif there!
highlight without a doubt world container ESPECIALLY family band
tears shed for grace and scared.
after grace in to3 i'm still on the fence as to how much acting emotion vs realism exists in gord's facial shots during that song
suffice it to say he's always been a good front man. his intensity/compassion is like none other. a man possessed by the human mind
gord is not dialing it in. that is a for sure
escape and something on(again) i was also very happy about
don't wake daddy and twist my arm to close the show were other highlights
overall i'm leaning towards this being the best of the ontario shows as it stands so far
BUT this tour has been gathering momentum as far as the shows getting better
so i don't expect kingston/ottawa to be any less than last night.
FINALLY and most importantly-thanks to a hipbase member for selling me his extra at face value
upper level on the aisle. 2/3 back and another good night of decent neighbours!

2016-08-16 - Hamilton, Ontario
Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:47 pm

1. At The Hundredth Meridian
2. Courage
3. Eldorado
4. Fifty Mission Cap

5. In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
6. What Blue
7. In Sarnia
8. Machine

9. The Lonely End Of The Rink
10. Yer Not The Ocean
11. Family Band
12. In View

13. So Hard Done By
14. Grace, Too
15. Scared
16. Daredevil

17. Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
18. Something On
19. Fireworks
20. Poets

21. Gift Shop
22. Don't Wake Daddy
23. Ahead By A Century

24. Fiddler's Green
25. Twist My Arm
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

Best show of the 4 I saw. 3 Toronto, 1 Hammer.

The Hammer fell big time last night. I loved that there wasn't the 15 min clapping for Gord like every show in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, he deserved it but last night was just a flat out, hammer down, rock concert the way only the Hip can bring it.

Had side rear view upper dropped yesterday at 3:18pm and they were awesome. Great for stage view and amazing to see the whole crowd. The Hammer was completely on fire.
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Torontonian69 wrote:Best show of the 4 I saw. 3 Toronto, 1 Hammer.

The Hammer fell big time last night. I loved that there wasn't the 15 min clapping for Gord like every show in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, he deserved it but last night was just a flat out, hammer down, rock concert the way only the Hip can bring it.

Had side rear view upper dropped yesterday at 3:18pm and they were awesome. Great for stage view and amazing to see the whole crowd. The Hammer was completely on fire.
This. A great seat combined with the electric atmosphere. I mean, I knew Hamilton is known for wild crowds but wow. I was shocked by the turnout at the fundraiser too.. seemed like they ended up with more attendees than in Toronto.

And I almost didn't go to this show! I'm just waiting to be disappointed by the Ottawa crowd now though.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

carebread wrote:And I almost didn't go to this show! I'm just waiting to be disappointed by the Ottawa crowd now though.
You will be disappointed if yer expecting disappointment.

After reading about past Pearl Jam shows at the CTC, the general consensus was that the crowd for the show in May was above and beyond anything expected from an Ottawa crowd.

How can that trend not continue for The Hip in their biggest Ottawa show of all time?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

I don't know if it was the size of the barn, the City, or the fact that there's only a few shows left, but this was probably the most electric and emotional show I've ever seen.Right out of the gate you could tell it was going to be special. I thought the building was going to come down at the end of Grace Too. It's funny, I've always wanted to hear the deep tracks live, but this tour has made me really appreciate the big massive hits that get 20,000 people rocking. I loved the sarcastic little jab from Gord though (after Eldorado was played to a somewhat apathetic crowd) during the intro to 50 Mission Cap; "I don't think you're going to know this next one, that's just my opinion."

Before the show, the guy beside me said he would love to hear The Lonely End of the Rink cause it's his favourite song and World Container is his favourite album. When Robby launched into that opening riff this guy was beside himself and it was absolutely incredible to witness. I found out after the show he'd come all the way from Halifax for it, so that made the World Container set even more special for me.

I didn't get too emotional at the Friday show in Toronto, but Scared brought me to tears this time around.