2016-07-24 - Vancouver, British Columbia

chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: 2016-07-24 - Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by chancellor »

direwolf74 wrote:Just back from the show. What an incredible night! That was easily the most emotional concert I've ever seen. Just a massive outpouring of love and good vibes from everyone there, especially the awesome folks in our section that we met. Can't remember the exact setlist off the top of my head, but the big highlights for me were Membership, Thugs, Daredevil (w/ slow jam intro), So Hard Done By, Opiated, and the entire rink shouting along to Grace Too at full volume. It was beautiful. The new songs all sounded fantastic. Machine rocked hard and is already a classic in my opinion. World Possessed and Tired as f**k were excellent as well. I was kinda hoping to hear at least a couple of different songs from the new album, but I'm not gonna complain. I wonder if maybe those are the only 4 MMP tracks they're gonna play for this tour? I should also mention that Gord's voice is the best it's sounded since 2009. He was absolutely spot-on for the entire gig, and he seemed a bit more animated tonight than in Victoria.

Cool moment: the guy sitting beside us was from Australia and had flown 20 hours to see the show. This guy was hardcore. He said when he heard the news about Gord, he knew he had to be here to say goodbye. He had never seen them live back home, as they've only ever toured Australia once back in the early 90s. Tonight was his 3rd Hip show, all of them in Canada. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I unfortunately didn't catch his name, but man, if you're here on this forum and you read this, it was great meeting you and I hope you have a safe trip back.

As for the rest of the tour, you guys are in for a treat. Still the best f'n band in the world.

:music
Great review as always. So excited for them to come more East so I can watch more of the shows on Periscope. West coast ones are just too late for me.
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

I'm sitting at the airport in Seattle, heading home to Kansas City, still trying to process all the sounds/moments/visuals from the tour's first two shows. The instant ups (first Gems ever! first Three Pistols ever) and downs (last Grace Too ... ever) lift you up and knock you down without much warning.

Every show on this will be amazing. Gordo is singing. The band is totally dialed in. They will get to Emperor Penguin at some point in the Phantom Power song block. Kingston excluded, you probably can get a deal on tickets on show day.

For those catching any of the remaining shows, enjoy. I'm jealous. And I'm not.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

VioletLite wrote:
Hands down the most kick arse version of Grace I've EVER witnessed. I don't know if there are words to describe that feeling and vibe in the arena during that song.
You ain't kidding! That moment when the crowd exploded right after the 2nd chorus was truly extraordinary. I've honestly never felt so much love, warmth and pure joy at a concert before. I've experienced some pretty mind-blowing shows over the years, but last night was on another level entirely. It was absolutely magical, and I'll never forget it for the rest of my life.

As for the song itself, I noticed the intro was a bit different with Johnny using a drum machine for the first verse. And then when the live drums kicked in on that first big down beat ("But I can guarantee...*BOOM*). That was epic!
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

direwolf74 wrote:
VioletLite wrote:
Hands down the most kick arse version of Grace I've EVER witnessed. I don't know if there are words to describe that feeling and vibe in the arena during that song.
You ain't kidding! That moment when the crowd exploded right after the 2nd chorus was truly extraordinary. I've honestly never felt so much love, warmth and pure joy at a concert before. I've experienced some pretty mind-blowing shows over the years, but last night was on another level entirely. It was absolutely magical, and I'll never forget it for the rest of my life.

As for the song itself, I noticed the intro was a bit different with Johnny using a drum machine for the first verse. And then when the live drums kicked in on that first big down beat ("But I can guarantee...*BOOM*). That was epic!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIRliy3Bjk2/

I can't stop watching. This man has my heart.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

carebread wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:
VioletLite wrote:

Here's the whole thing. So beautiful! And the video doesn't even really do it justice. The noise inside the building was deafening.

NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

carebread wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:
VioletLite wrote:

That's one of the best and worst things I've ever watched.
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

Oh wow. Just reliving that. Goosebumps all over again. Thanks for posting that, direwolf74. I wish I could relive it a thousand times over.
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu
bobrockruinedthehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bobrockruinedthehip »

sullivand wrote:I'm sitting at the airport in Seattle, heading home to Kansas City, still trying to process all the sounds/moments/visuals from the tour's first two shows. The instant ups (first Gems ever! first Three Pistols ever) and downs (last Grace Too ... ever) lift you up and knock you down without much warning.

Every show on this will be amazing. Gordo is singing. The band is totally dialed in. They will get to Emperor Penguin at some point in the Phantom Power song block. Kingston excluded, you probably can get a deal on tickets on show day.

For those catching any of the remaining shows, enjoy. I'm jealous. And I'm not.
Sullivand, well put. It was a thing with all the highs and lows. The anticipation of the Victoria show and it's unfolding was nothing short of perfection. The finality of Vancouver was so overwhelmingly sad. Memories for a lifetime with some of the most important people in my life and most certainly the most important band.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

holy shit

seems to me..... this has to be the closer in Kingston
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

That was absolutely incredible
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just a quick side note, I liked Rob Baker's recorded message before the show started:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Rob from the Hip. The show will begin in approximately 5 minutes. If you're not in your seats, I'll be very disappointed."
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

direwolf74 wrote:Just a quick side note, I liked Rob Baker's recorded message before the show started:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Rob from the Hip. The show will begin in approximately 5 minutes. If you're not in your seats, I'll be very disappointed."
IS THIS REAL? Amazing.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

carebread wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:Just a quick side note, I liked Rob Baker's recorded message before the show started:

IS THIS REAL? Amazing.
Yea, it was played over the PA just before showtime. It gave me a good chuckle.
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

wow, it's been 4 months, I kept wanting to right a quick review on here for the shows I saw then idk, life got busy, no internet for a bit, sorta funny it's the 24th today and I have a moment.

anyway, after driving from ohio to seattle (many shows & tales for another day) we rolled back into Canada on the 22nd of July, I had friends who happenned to be in vancouver to catch a flight so we drive past the ferry exits to go to the airport to bid them adieu, a quick visit turns into a longer one as it does with old friends, we depart for ferry with 5hrs to spare, nothing to worry about right?

we pull up to the huge gates that look different but familiar to the east coast ones with a digital sign that reads something like "at least 2 ferry wait from this point" I look at the clock and realize, wow we might miss a few songs from the Victoria show, well 2 car ferries turns into 4 or 5, inside im devastated realizing i will miss the show, but it's something that cannot be changed, why be upset, why let it bother me, we board the ferry after the band is already on stage in Victoria, we watch a little of the periscope feed from the car, just speechless but ok, ok but speechless, heading up the main part of the ship, the sun is setting behind us towards the mainland but sort of in the ocean, I think about the early 2000's when I lived in vancouver and never made it to the island, how im going there now, how i've never seen a sunset this far west on the planet.

finishing up a tasty marlboro someone taps me on my shoulder and ask's me about my claypool/lennon delirium t-shirt that i got from the show in seattle the evening prior, turns out he's a huge claypool fan and in a band called ' year of the wolf ' we talked for a bit, a few band members join our "small circle of people smokin' they explain they are going to play the Colwood music festival that weekend on the island and that's why the ferries were so backed up.

tires hit vancouver island, we listen to 'year of the wolf' on apple music for the drive into town, google maps takes us to our motel and of course guides us to drive past save of foods centre, not a soul around, semis and trailers getting packed up, my head hits pillow, things have good on the trip so far, too good this is just a weird way of things evening out I tell myself.

new day, realizing i still get to see 3 shows instead of 4, instead of zero many friends & family, nothing to be sad about, be positive. it's the weekend 2pm ast translate to 10am pst, i find the jays game on tv and think things are looking up, saw some seals at fishermen's wharf, took a nice drive north, connected with a few friends, one of which was at the show and in plain sight on the bands official twitter feed crowd photo, met some great ppl at a house party, something about island people i connect with or get so much (don't get me started on newfoundlanders) made the last nanaimo crossing to the mainland, tomorrow is gonna be HIP.

met my old pei friend (whom i found a ticket for at cost due to the good folks on the hipbase fb group) at the pint for the fundraiser, I decide i'm goin to represent my island for these shows, so before we leave the airbnb i grab my prince edward island flag and wear it, which gathered some nice stop & chats (except for the town cop in edmonton who thought it was nova scotia) the event is a great success & the poutine is superb!

were walking up to gm place or whatever roger's called it now, at the crosswalk there's a very serious man in sunglasses next to a video camera filming the fans arrive, i seize the moment and cover me and most other ppl around me with the flag, serious man doesnt even flinch, i smile and think hmm maybe ill see that someday.

we get to our seats just as Robbie is giving the 5 minutes warning, the emotion in the building is incredible, everybody and i mean everybody is standing and feeling every moment with the band, i cant believe the songs they're rippin out three pistols? the luxury? the new songs sound so good, i wish there was more than 4 of them tonight, but there's nothing to complain about long daredevil, thugs!? every break the crowd is just roaring like so loud, being a maritimer and used to smaller venues it's almost overhelming but not, i am part of this feeling moment so I scream and clap my hands like never before as are all my brothers & sisters in the building.

Opiated, was so beautiful the night ends, drinks and laughs until 430am or when the neighbor gave us a noise complaint which ever came last, I'm so happy and energized and cant wait to do it again.

sorry so long, the next two won't be.

love,
Clayton
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

some clips i took that night