Okay, So I'm a newbie. Educated me on all things Hip.

New to the Community?
*Note* You must Register to get access to the rest of the community.

Moderator: Moderators

kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

BUY DAY FOR NIGHT

Definitely get the new one. As with any new hip cd you buy, dont pass too much judgement until you have listened at least a half dozen times....there is just so much there to absorb, and hidden grooves and stufff....

You should hook yourself up with an ftp program that will get you onto thehundredthmeridian.com and I use WSFTP LE

doublesuicide highwaygirl is on Roxy & Elsewhere from 1991 in LA

Some of my other fave boots are:
Camp Trillium 1998
Zoo Amphitheatre Toledo 1998
Woodstock 99
Vernon 2002 (partly cause i was at that show)
Hengelo NETH 1991
Modjeska Theatre Milwaukee 1998
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

first thing you need to do steal a car \
second get a copy of road apples play it til you ears bleed
third repeat set two with day for night, in violet light , in between evolution
4. beat up a mic stand
5. welcome and any help you need with starting your live hip boot collection just private message me and i can help get you started
9 this goes for anyone else too)

later
ron
BlueRidgeRambler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BlueRidgeRambler »

Yes, yes now were talking! Thanks for the info! Yeah, my buddy from Canada says that translating Mr. Downie's rants is the nation's second pastime.

"Highway Girl-Double Suicide." So this is a rant from a show? Roxy & Elsewhere from 1991 in LA?

Ron..... I will take your advice... well not the car stealing thing..I will have to get my AIM up in running I don't chat much on it... I can send ya some blank discs and return postage if that is okay? I would love to get some live Hip other than Live Between Us

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Untitled
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Untitled »

tigerthelion wrote:BTW, direwolf, that SNL Blue Oyster Cult skit with Walken is unbelievable! J Fallon cracks up in the middle of it. More COWBELL BABY! MORE COWBELL!
I just saw that skit a little while ago! It's the best!

"I put my pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of you guys. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

"Babies, before we're done here, y'all are gonna be wearing gold-plated diapers."
"What does that mean?!"
"Never question Bruce Dickinson!!"

But yah, I'm surprised you haven't heard many songs from their older albums before Fully. Most people I know who like the Hip always say they started out listening to Up To Here or Road Apples. I suggest you try to get these albums or find songs live songs from them, becuase I find it to be a whole other side to them in comparison to Phantom Power.
BlueRidgeRambler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BlueRidgeRambler »

Yeah I got turned onto the hip with phantom power. Then it was Live Between Us that stayed in my CD player for months. I enjoy the various sounds of the hip. I have heard Road Apples, Up to Here, and Day for Night. I have been ordering the CDs I can't find here off of Amazon. Those are on my list. I feel that it takes a while to saturate The Hips CDs. I believe it is the song writing that seperates them from the everyday rock band. I like reading the lyrics by themselves a lot.
Untitled
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Untitled »

BlueRidgeRambler wrote:I believe it is the song writing that seperates them from the everyday rock band. I like reading the lyrics by themselves a lot.
I'm always baffled at how some of my fav Hip songs don't have a chorus or will go five or so lines before there's actually a rhyme... the writing style and unique songs are really something to pay attention to. They really take what people 'know' a song is suppose to sound like and turn it upside down... yet they still maintain their Hip-rock sound!
:wink:
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

Just go to a show. A bushel of recordings can't fill the soul like a live performance from a great rock 'n' roll outfit....... :thumb:
daysleeperchuk
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

finally someone else below or near the mason dixon line!

Post by daysleeperchuk »

what's up blue ridge---i'm in reidsville,nc. just a few hours away--i thought you were in oakville for a moment--which is closer--but as long as we represent the eastern seaboard area a little better---im sure there's a bunch of hip fans in this area---just not that many-"southerners" on the board.--welcome
daysleeperchuk
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by daysleeperchuk »

oh and as far as the hip------the music speaks for itself! y,know- i could go on and on but i'm at work right now.keep yourself peeled for a southern show--they will do a smaller venue down here.---i've seen them at ziggys in winston twice--the place might hold 750 people.---it was awesome!--go to rolling stone.com and read reader comments on the tragically hip for my take on the show.---cceeoojj
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

Vernon 2002 (partly cause i was at that show)

that show was amazing...i was front row, and i have to say..after seeing them 19 times now.that was close to, if not the best show i've seen
daysleeperchuk
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

a littleoff topic but..

Post by daysleeperchuk »

excellent opiated!--did you see them in support of phantom power? or the earlier show on 5-21-1996-which is not even listed in the official concert archive?--in 1996 there might have been 300 people at ziggy's,-- tops. "trouble at the henhouse" had just come out and there was room to thrash about during "new orleans is sinking".--I swear on my canadian blood i was there.--is there anybody out there at the 1996 show??---i might have to start a new thread.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

I do not have it, but here is some info...

05/21/96 - Ziggy's, Winston-Salem, NC [90m]

unknown mics > unknown analog recorder
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
akoso
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by akoso »

Although it's impossible to like the Hip without wetting your pants when hearing them live or listening to a monologue, I strongly suggest listening to their albums first. Listening to the live stuff and then checking out the albums is like driving a Ferrari to get a feel for Italian cars and then checking a Fiat.