2003-09-06 - Molson Park - Barrie, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2003-09-06 - Molson Park - Barrie, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Tix

Post by LoftyPines »

I just won two tickets to the show today and I am PUMPED. Hopefully they play some new tunes, peace
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Just got home from the show!!!!!!!!! So many surprises tonight.

They opened with Fire in the Hole, played Looking for a Place to Happen, Boots or Hearts, Joe, Ballroom and more!!!

The greatest night ever at Molson Park!! Here's the setlist in no order...the first 4 are in order and the encore is right. This is just what I remember. I'm sure someone else will post the right order. Lots of good rants tonight. Gord in fine form dancing like a maniac.

Setlist:
Fire in the Hole
Grace, Too
Poets
Daredevil
Looking for a Place to Happen
Boots or Hearts (Reminised about setting his boot on fire in 92.)
Silver Jet
Ballroom
At The Hundredth Meridian
Springtime in Vienna
Joe
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Wheat Kings
New Orleans is Sinking

Encore:
50 Mission Cap
Putting Down
Little Bones
Entropy
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Entropy »

Not that my memory is much clearer, but the first 8 songs were:

Fire in the Hole
Grace, Too
Poets
Daredevil
Silver Jet
Boots or Hearts
Looking for a Place to Happen
Ballroom (AWESOME!!!!!!!!)

After that I'm lost as well, but you did forget Nautical Disaster. Not bad--18 songs in what must have been around 1 1/2 hours.

What a great show--the boys really seemed to be having fun up on stage! As thehip11 mentioned, Gord was out of control! Tons of rants.

The 2 new songs, Ballroom and Joe (Josephine???) are simply amazing! Really rocking, they sound more like DFN and TATH era songs than more recent albums. I am even more pumped to hear what the new album will sound like...

Greg

PS-Is it just me or does Raine Maida SUCK live? Not the band, just Raine. Sounded just horrible to me and my friends.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Running on no sleep...was it just me or did they sound as TIGHT as ever tonight? My thoughts...crowd was MELLOW...not used to a show where everyone DOESN'T know the words...songs like DD and Down got little to no reaction...but I am now POSITIVE someone from the band reads this list, especially our rants about lack of setlist changes, because lets be honest, I think VEREYONE'S minds were blwon tonight when we heard the opening drums to Fire In the Hole, to open the show of all things. But hey, it worked. And Boots, Looking among others, in a show where we all expected them to play nothing but the hits. I have to say I was very proud (Can I say that?) to be a fan tonight, they didn't play what maybe they should have, and Gord's little speech about the memories of Molson Park was great. The boys truly wanted to be there tonight, and the new tunes...Ballroom sounded different than that clip we've all heard, and the other tune is absolutely stellar. One of my favourite parts of the show was Gord messing up the words in New Orleans and then realizing it after and going about the whole thing in a very professional manner... :thumb: But I think anyone who was there tonight and was also at the Skydome gig can agree, their performance at the Dome was shaky, but tonight they were as tight as possible and I'm sure many fears were calmed....any other thoughts? Could I be out in left field??? What a night, what a show...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

I have a comment about the t-shirts they were selling. I bought the white last bash in Barrie shirt and the new gargolye shirt that listed all the dates the hip have played Molson Park.

The dates on the shirt were.

July 1st, 1992
July 1st, 1994
August 2nd, 1997
September 6th, 2003

It's a really nice shirt but I saw it and thought, wait a second, I have a bootleg for July 1st, 1990 as well. I'm a little ticked they left it off the shirt. Maybe they just forgot they played that year as well. Did anyone else notice this?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here's the setlist, in order, with some details of the rants. The band was in top form tonight, as was the sound. All afternoon it seemed like the sond techs were struggling, but once The Hip hit the stage, it was perfect.

Fire In The Hole

Grace, Too - Don't worry baby, everything will work out right; also the rant about a stranger, and the way the dust clings to the air.

Poets - Swim, from within, swim
Daredevil - introduced with, "This song is for people from Niagara, I still say it like I'm not!"
Silver Jet
Boots Or Hearts - before this was played, Gord reminisced about a time he, "burned a pair of boots here once, they were my brothers. i thought it was fitting, what do i know about fitting."
Looking For A Place To Happen
Nautical Disaster - changed words to rusty rocket over the coast of France.
During Nautical, Gord was in fine dancing form, riding the mic stand like it was a bull, complete with his free hand swirling overhead. Awesome!!

Gord chatted with the crowd a few times in between songs at the show, he really seemed into the night. He even said, "thanks to the spot operator. Doin a fine job, nothing fancy, just a steady glow."

Ballroom - stellar
At The 100th Meridian - Introduced with, "Things are going so well I didn't want to tell you what point in the trip we were at. But we're here, we're at the 100th meridian. Get out and stretch. I'll tell you a bit about the local geography!"
Springtime In Vienna
Joe (maybe Josephine) - awesome!!
Locked - Introduced with. "I'm feeling the first flecks of winters long f**k you note." And then, "You're going to leave a key with me rlght? Even if you do, I can't use it from in here. What are you going to do to me? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO ME?? (and then in french) Qu'est-ce que tu va me fait? Qu'est-ce que tu va me fait? Qu'est-ce que tu va me fait? Qu'est-ce que tu va me fait?

Wheat Kings - beutiful under the stars, moon, and Mars. Great lighter display.
NOIS - screwed up the "hands in the river" part, repeated it twice. A little about the dorsel fin.

ENCORE
50 Mission Cap - fan-fucking-tastic!!!!
Puttin' Down - poor crowd response by comparison, but still great
Little Bones - "Here kitty, kitty!" Also the bit about, "you're just a microphone, and I'm a full grown man. You're nothing without me. I'm a brooding man!" (This was the same as a rant at Hummingbird in October)
Finished song with a howl of a werewolf, right out of Werewolves Of London, "Howww Ooooooooo!"

An incredible show from start to finish. All the bands were great. Stereophonics played a set without their drummer, saying that they got so fuckin' drunk last night that they couldn't find their drummer today. Ha Ha Ha.

Sloan kicked serious ass. OLP played the exact set as on their live CD, except two new songs.

Perfect weather, great crowd, awesome venue, a beautiful goodbye.

chris
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

Oh my god, what a show!

Where to begin? Going in, I didn't know what to expect. Would it be another concert for Toronto experience where the guys just came out, played their hits, and left? Hell no! I was actually a little confused when the drumbeat to Fire in the Hole started things off. However, once the music kicked in and Gordie got going, there was really no looking back. The band was on fire all night and they looked like they were having a great time in the process. It was nice to hear a lot of the older stuff (Looking for a Place to Happen, Boots or Hearts), and the two new songs sounds stunning. I can't wait to hear studio versions of them. Another thing that really caught me by suprise was the clarity of Gord's rants. Superb!

All in all, an absolutely stellar show, with a fireworks display right after to top it off.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

PS-Is it just me or does Raine Maida SUCK live? Not the band, just Raine. Sounded just horrible to me and my friends.

Gonna have to agree with you on that one...my friends and I were a tad confused, thought it was a girl up there singing on some occasions, and that new song, an obvious jab at George W. sounds like it was written by a 4 year old...try not to be so obvious...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
klwalsh214
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by klwalsh214 »

Wow! Edgefest had the Hip in top form. Lots of energy.
Best Gord rant line of the evening for me was, "Dorsal fin? Who said anything about a dorsal fin?" The set was an unusual one, but wonderful. I can't wait for a new album.
I've seen the Hip and/or Gord and TCOM perform 9 times and I've never been disappointed. Edgefest last night was special because it was the first time I have ever seen them in Canada (I'm from Buffalo- I've seen them here, in Rochester, in Cleveland, and in Pittsburgh). I brought my son to the show- it was his 8th birthday and since he is an even bigger Hip fan than me, we thought it would be a great treat for him. I have to say that even though the venue (God rest its soul) was nuts...my son asked me if we needed to buy tickets to use the bathroom :roll: ... people were great. We stayed near the back for the most part, where we could have a little more room to move, but I brought my little guy up front for a few songs so he could see Gord up close and I was so impressed by how kind people were about letting us move closer to the stage so he could see. He kept saying, "I can't believe it! It's Gord- in person!!!" and he sang along to every word of Nautical Disaster. Fully Completely is his favorite CD so he wasn't disappointed with the set. At the end of the night he was exhausted, but as we were making the trek back to the car he said, "This is the best day of my life!" Just wanted to share with everyone how I'm helping build the fan base of the next generation :wink: .
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

The Heron Outside wrote:

Gonna have to agree with you on that one...my friends and I were a tad confused, thought it was a girl up there singing on some occasions, and that new song, an obvious jab at George W. sounds like it was written by a 4 year old...try not to be so obvious...
I have been saying that for years.... Bad, Really Bad
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Glad to hear everyone had an AMAZING time at the gig.Sounds like one for the books :thumb: Did anyone notice or know of anyone that got tape of the show. if so can someone hook me up? :thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I sure hope that there was a recording, and that it becomes available. The security was OK with people bringing in gear, at least the guys where I went in. I brought my digital camera, and asked about it, and if other recording equipment was allowed. He said as long as it wasn't "professional" then it was OK.

Here is a pic from the show. Most of mine didn't turn out; I was quite a ways back.

chris
Entropy
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Entropy »

The Heron Outside wrote:Gonna have to agree with you on that one...my friends and I were a tad confused, thought it was a girl up there singing on some occasions, and that new song, an obvious jab at George W. sounds like it was written by a 4 year old...try not to be so obvious...
And all the sucking up to the crowd--"I like it when you sing along with me"--I was half expecting to be invited to hang out after the show. "We'll have some pizza and beer! It'll be awesome! We're buying!!!" Maybe OLP should try some reverse karaoke--live music over a pre-recorded vocal track?

Lance, why didn't you warn me??? This was the worst opening act for the Hip since Clarissa (ugh) in '96!
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

I also got to say these NEW songs,by the way eveeyones talkin sound like barn-burners(sorry top of my head) can someone maybe elaborate on them so we who haven't heard can gain some sorta mental picture, i heard the kelowna video but it sounded really rough,and someone mentioned ballroom sounded different now. i don't know maybe a lyric or 2 from the new ones. :thumb: :thumb: please