2004-06-25 - Richards on Richards - Vancouver, BC

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

viciousm - sorry i don't recall seeing your name in any posts...anywho, i think Gord dedicated Grace Too, to all the front row, something to the effect 'you don't know what they had to go through to get here'. That was nice, plus Grace Too is easily my fave song ever, makes the show to hear it, especially when Gord subs 'he said i'm Tragically Hip' into the beginning!

dave - still glad to see you made it in man, the feel good story of the night that's for sure. my gf's name is Kat and she says to say 'Hi'. Hope the trip home on the ferry was good. The microphone stand diatribe was also great!

Can't wait for the boot of this to come out! So many good moments!

All for now,
Aaron
irish hip guy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by irish hip guy »

Wow what a night! What a weekend!

Like all of you who were there i had a hard time concentrating on work that day. The anticipation was way too much to handle.

I got in line around 5:40 with the goal of snagging seats on the upper balcony and i succeded. We got 4 seats on the railing looking right down at the stage on Paul Langlois side. I set up the mic and sat back and enjoyed the night.

I didn't get a chance to talk to too many Hipbasers aside from TLB. Always a pleasure buddy!

I took loads of photos from up top and Aaron, TLB and others are in most of them so if you want me to load them all on to a cd and send them to you let me know. The quality ranges but most are pretty good.

Highlites for me were Makeshift, It Can't Be Nashville Every Night and Vaccination Scar. As for the oldies but goldies... Poets and My Music At Work continue to blow me away each time they play them and somehow At The Hundreth Merdian keeps getting better.

Would have liked to hear them play "All Canadian Surf Club" :wink:
but i guess tonight wasn't my night :( :wink: .

As for my recording I doubt my copy of the show will be as good as the others but regardless i will work on mixing it this week and let you all know how it turned out.

That's all for now..

Rock on rockers!!!!!

*Next show Matt Good July 1st*
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

biga wrote:ok, here are the good pictures from the bunch. Digital Camera's are not that great for low light. Some turned out pretty good!

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/gallery/ ... -Richard-s

Please take care, it is running heavy right now.
Nice Pics
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
sfissel
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sfissel »

Yeah, it was an amazing show. I was hoping they'd play looking or We'll go too. They way they did 100th was amazing, they really seemed to take it to a new level.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to be right up front there, I couldn't make it to the venue until 7 but I was maybe 6-7 feet away from the band.

The mix was pretty good, I could have used a little more of Mr. Baker, but overall I could hear everything pretty well. I swear I actually heard Gord's acoustic make a noise, not enough to be heard when the band was playing though. Good thing too, since you could tell he was screwing up quite a bit.

I hope there's a video of this gig sometime, because I have just got to see Gord doing his slow motion paddling with his mic stand. I was laughing my ass off. I saw a bunch of people recording the show though(audio only).

Anybody know how many tickets went on sale through the hip club? I heard one guy say it was 25 and another said it was 100.

They should make a habit of doing this before every major tour.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

There were only 150 for hip club.

For the IVL tour they did the same thing by providing up to 4 tickets for each show.

No video of the show. I was in a perfect spot, but it was not allowed. :(

I will be there with my video camera in the fall. I want to get together with others so we can put something great together.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Here's the link to the best of the few photos I got before my digicam copped out:

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kat ... 26&.src=ph

I'll have some more from my regular camera later today or tomorrow.
There's at least one good pic of each member so that's ok.
All for now,
Aaron
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Thanks for sharing the pics Aaron.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

The mix was pretty good, I could have used a little more of Mr. Baker
I totally agree man, the mix couldve been alot more pronounced on his leads at times, but as a wiser man than myself once said, "s'all good"....or something like that
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Alright Now

Post by eatmecompletely »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumb:

I was at the show

I thought it was a great evening. The venue was one of the best I have ever seen the hip. I also liked how the place wasnt to crazy packed. Anyone know how many people were at the show? It seemed like they didnt over sell it which was nice. I have seen a ton of small club shows in Ontario, Horseshoe, Concert Hall and it goes on. But this was the first small show were there wasnt a fight to get up close. The crowd was perfect, nice and relaxed and no stupid mosh pit. It was great on that behalf because I could really enjoy the show.

Highlights of the show include The old stuff Grace was amazing Fully was unreal, we all need a little courage every now and than, and the new stuff is amazing. I have heard Gus before anyone know were that could have been played maybe QE last year?
I think Gus is my fav on the album so far. Still getting use to the new stuff.

However a later start time would have been have made that night that much better, and one more encore it just seemed that the show ended so soon. It just seemed like the hip just ended on such a high level one more song would have been sweet.

Anyone think that Get Back Again will ever be played or is it retired with the fidlers of the world

Anyways just wanted to say the show was great and that the crowd made it better

One problem why do double high balls have to cost 10 bucks what happend to 2.50

M
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

so....any bootlegs for the offering yet?
irish hip guy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by irish hip guy »

I'll be finishing mixing this weekend.

and i will then make it available somehow..