2004-06-28 - The Mod Club - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-06-28 - The Mod Club - Toronto, ON

Post by mrlayance »

I guess it happened

Post your review if you went.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Holy SMOKES!!! Got there around 7:45, a few security working but I just walked inside the doors as they were getting ready to take names. I asked when the band went on and the guy working said around 9pm. A line was happening outside so I moved outside as I recognized a few hip hopefulls also trying to make an attempt at getting in. We stood around until about 8:45 and made our move to the front of the line. Step 1, make it by security: This was easy as pie, we simply just walked by them as they leaned over the railing looking out into the street. Step 2, fooling the guy taking names.: Our man in charge of the 5 hopefulls gave his name to the guy working: of course it wasn't on the list but he said, "Maybe later, we're still expecting 50% of our list to show up!! It was about 9pm and thehip still weren't on yet and all of a sudden out of no where, a miracle occurred. I'm sworn to secrey but all I can say is about 5 minutes later, our hands were stamped and we were in. I'd say no more than 200 people there. A couple of us stood front and centre and the others to the right of the stage.

As this was an industry party, we were told to act mature and not like your typical hip fan. Most of the people there seemed to enjoy themselves but the energry wasn't like a normal hip crowd. More cheering for Springtime in Vienna and NOIS than any other songs. I didn't really give a shit, I got in for free and saw a 20 song set that made my day. The new songs live were just phoneminal. Make Shift and You're Everywhere really stuck out for me. A great Grace, Too & Poets with Gord ranting a bit. He was also saying something during Meridian but it was hard to make out. Thehip really didn't seem like they even wanted to play an encoure but we got 1 and that was it. A great warm-up for tonights show!!

The first few songs of the setlist are in order. After that, I don't remember the whole order, but all 20 were played. Thugs and Heart of the Melt were slated for a second encoure but it never happened.

Setlist:

Vaccination Scar
Summer's Killing Us
Grace, Too
Heaven is a Better Place Today
Poets
Goodnight Josephine
You're Everywhere
As Makeshift as we Are
It's A Good Life if You Don't Weaken
Mean Streak
At The Hundredth Meridian
Are We Family
Springtime in Vienna
It Can't be Nashville Everynight
New Orleans is Sinking
Gus: The Polar Bear from Centrel Park
Music at Work
New Orleans is Beat
Fully Completely
Silver Jet
nois
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nois »

congrats budday!
toddy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by toddy »

last nights setlist:
scar, summer,grace,poets,Joe,evrywhere,goodlife,nashville,makeshift,meridianmean,springtime,family,NOIS,gus,music,

encore: NOIB, Fully, Silverjet (as close as I recall)

BB blew me away with his very subtle bluesy sounds on mean streak, family... a few other new ones...
overall excellent vibe...you know when a band is havin a blast... great venue...

GD: "thanks for ah....lettin' us ah...play some... ah ...ma.....ah new ..'terial ....ah.....I had a few ...ah...beers.... ah....new material "..... (laughing)
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Nice to see the 2 guys I called made it in !!! Way to go! You would've done the same for thecompletist.....right! Thanks to the Hamilton boys and Matt & Mark for the info!

Tonights...the Night..
Jeffro
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Thanks sooooo much for the tip Jeffro. I knew there was a reason I was bringing you tonight!!!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

thehip11 wrote:Thanks sooooo much for the tip Jeffro. I knew there was a reason I was bringing you tonight!!!
Ya... like I said... it was an "investment" in future Hip shows... it just paid out a little quicker than we thought!
dyersbay
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by dyersbay »

thehip11 wrote:Thanks sooooo much for the tip Jeffro. I knew there was a reason I was bringing you tonight!!!
That's too bad that your girlfriend can't make it. She must be disappointed.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

It took quite a bit of convincing but she's not a real die-hard fan so she understood.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

PICTURES

Post by thecompletist »

Updating a few things and here is pictures from the Release Show !!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/thecompleti ... IBERelease