2004-07-01 - Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did that rock or what man..........now that Im sober I can appreciate how phenomenal that was.

Man, I've never seen so much spilt beer in my life....

Oh and props to that chick that helped us bud into the long line for the lawns....

and probs to everyone with a Canadian Flag Cape, Dam right theres a Hip Connection, to all those who cant understand it....anyways...
Best Canada Day Ever.
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

gratts99 wrote:Bottom line: show was good, just wished they would mix it up a little more. Its a good life just kills a concert. and if you have not heard new orleans is sinking live by now, well then, you probably are not reading this so never mind!!
This was my 20th show and I was 3rd row on the left side. I was hoping for a couple of surprises but I figured it's a little early for that since this wasn't even an official 'tour' show. There are some songs I really don't need to hear anymore (fireworks, springtime, new o ect.) The new stuff was cool.
The sound was absolutely perfect at the beginning but they it started to get a little louder and towards the end it was painful.
It would be nice if they pulled out a few that they haven't done in a long time when they tour, we'll see.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Cpt. Trips wrote:Oh and props to that chick that helped us bud into the long line for the lawns....
Why are you so proud that you budded in line? You've mentioned it in a couple of your posts as a highlight from the night.

Disrespecting others is not a highlight.

Maybe you were one of the two guys that cut in right ahead of me, and two older (40's) men told you where to go. Hundreds of people saw the line and knew that the proper thing to do was go to the end and wait, just like everyone else; but not these two dudes. Thankfully the two guys in front of my group said something. It was quite comical to watch as the two guys who gut the line, all full of bravado, were cut down, and sent packing by a pair of fortysomethings...

Just my $0.02.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

all in all an amazing show. most of what i would have said has been said. I found it quite comical that Downie knocked over Paul's mic stand twice during the the night with his dancing.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

chris wrote:
Cpt. Trips wrote:Oh and props to that chick that helped us bud into the long line for the lawns....
Why are you so proud that you budded in line? You've mentioned it in a couple of your posts as a highlight from the night.

Maybe you were one of the two guys that cut in right ahead of me, and two older (40's) men told you where to go. Hundreds of people saw the line and knew that the proper thing to do was go to the end and wait, just like everyone else; but not these two dudes. Thankfully the two guys in front of my group said something. It was quite comical to watch as the two guys who gut the line, all full of bravado, were cut down, and sent packing by a pair of fortysomethings...

Just my $0.02.
Here, Here.
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

nothing worse than clowns budding in...either get there early or wait in line like everyone else
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

chris wrote:

Just my $0.02.
Well said.
:thumb:
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

Oops. Nice catch on the Melt miss ]V[ANTIS
. Thanks. I wasn't at the 29th show and missed it on my quick research of the setlists. But I heard it on the radio and seemed to have slipped my mind? Am I getting forgetful in my old age? Short answer: YES.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Finally getting home now, after what we all could agree was a fantastic night. There isn't much that can be said after the reviews that have already been posted, maybe just some thoughts of mine:
-Early start to the show. I was stuck in that brutal line-up to get in, missed JPE...but I thought they came out quite early.
-A standard crowd, but I thought there was a pretty harsh re-action to the new songs, saw many people leaving for beers. The band must have known this, there were a few mentions from Gord, thanking us for listening to the new tunes. He also seemed much more loose on stage, thanking the crowd "Very, very much" twice. I think anyone who's seen the band a bunch of times would agree, he seemed very loose.
-I personally thought they looked nervous playing the new songs.
-Managed to make it backstage, talked to Paul very briefly, talked to Gord for a long time. And as reported, he seemed stoned out of his tree. Good for him, seemed quite laid back. talked to him about Coke Machine Glow, etc. (I was quite curious/interested about all that) he was very honest, or so it seemed. Said there was a lot of "messed up shit" going on at that time, so it all seemed right. Asked him about "Lord's Resistance Army" and he told me all about the song, it's about Uganda, he said the decision to leave it off the album was an artistic decision, apparently there's a verse in French, in which a conversation ensues between a man and a French woman, and she asks repeatedlty in French "What are you going to do?"...he said it might have been a bit too creepy for the album. He also proceeded to play a bit of air guitar to the song, imitating it...excellent. He said the songs would be made avaliable quite soon. I asked him if they were nervous playing the new stuff, he said no, pure excitement. Told me about how his kids were giving him shit for the amount of f-bombs dropped on the record, says it lacks creativity. It was good to finally meet these guys for the first time, they were indeed as nice as everyone has told me they are.
-All in all, the show, of course, was incredible. They played to the whole Canada Day thing as much as they probably could, and they did seem incredibly tight, as much as they could though, considering they had only played live a few times recently. Hope all enjoyed the show.
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
cdoering
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

bootlegs

Post by cdoering »

I heard that someone was bringing in a minidvd and making a dvd of the show. Any one out there heard any news. Can't wait.. it was an awesome show that's i'd love to relive
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

The Heron Outside wrote:Asked him about "Lord's Resistance Army" and he told me all about the song, it's about Uganda, he said the decision to leave it off the album was an artistic decision, apparently there's a verse in French, in which a conversation ensues between a man and a French woman, and she asks repeatedlty in French "What are you going to do?"...he said it might have been a bit too creepy for the album. He also proceeded to play a bit of air guitar to the song, imitating it...excellent.
At Edgefest, during the tail end of Locked In The Trunk, Gord repeated that phrase numerous times (en français, of course). It fit well with Locked, from the perspective of the guy in the trunk.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

how did you backstage???
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

I'm no pro at getting backstage, this was actually my first time being "backstage" or meeting any of the guys. It was your basic friend of a friend deal, gave me a sticker, got me to this little shindig. I'm sure other Hipbasers there. the sticker did however say The Tragically Hip, 2004/2005"....so here's looking forward to touring well into 2005!
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

The Heron Outside wrote: Asked him about "Lord's Resistance Army" and he told me all about the song, it's about Uganda, he said the decision to leave it off the album was an artistic decision, apparently there's a verse in French, in which a conversation ensues between a man and a French woman, and she asks repeatedlty in French "What are you going to do?"...he said it might have been a bit too creepy for the album.
No kidding, the LRA is known for its use of child soldiers and VERY brutal innitaition methods. Children are told to kill their parents, stories of forced rape between sons and mothers are equaly horrific. If the family has money, the rebels will allow children to shoot them, if the family cannot pay, Rwandan style machete killing's ensue.

The LRA and much better publicized Janjaweed in neighbouring Sudan use similar tactics learned from the Rawandan Government Forces during the 1994 Genocide.

I really wish they had left "LRA" on the album, just to raise awareness and outrage.
hipfan39
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by hipfan39 »

I had a great time, and the new songs sound amazing, and Gord was himself like his usual self. A great setlist, but i realy hated the dozon beachballs that were being bounced around, by half the show the gf and myself had 3 beachballs stuck under the seat so nobody could use them.... And also deflated another one (but kept that one) LOL

Also, secury were pricks, and i had SOME problems with my audio equipment, as i result they tried to take it away, but i said F.U, and walked it back to my car...... Stupid amphitheater staff.....

well it was realy nice to see some old faces at the show (Mark (sorry i forget your last name), and too the Holmes brothers!

As for the opening band, i hav never heard of them and was very scepticle of them, but i was VERY impressede, and enjoyed thier setlist (even though it was a short one)........