2004-07-11 - Main Beach Area - Wasaga Beach, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Rule #1 in the "bootlegging" world is wait at least 2 weeks before asking for a show. Tapers have lives, and despite what some people think, life comes before making shows available.

Rule #2 when dealing with me is "READ MY POSTS!"
chris wrote:"I will have my single angle, camera mic audio DVD done this week and will post a torrent link here, and in my DVD Torrent thread, as well as on STG."
This will be DVD, not a VCD.

You do not need a burner, or DVD drive to watch it. Just DVD decoder/player software on your computer.
tiger2375
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tiger2375 »

thanks chris take you time on putting the DVD together dude i know i speak for all hip fans everywhere by saying we want the best f**king DVD you can make even if you dont get new audio

im sure the audio will surface shortly or maybe possibly after you torrent the DVD

take your time dude

thanks again
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

anesthesiologist wrote:Awesome Chris!
nothing like an outdoor show in the summer with the boys!
No kidding! I once saw the guys at the High Sierra Festival just outside of San Francisco in October '98. It obviously wasn't summer, but it was California, and you couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather to take in an outdoor show. The best part was that there were maybe about 800 people there. That was it! It was like seeing them at someone's backyard barbecue. I'll never forget it.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Don't get me wrong, the audio from my camera is good - but I was hoping to mix in a second audio source to fill in the sound a bit. I just got back the first two rolls of film that one of my buddy's shot, and the pics look great. I'm going to scan them and add them to the DVD as a slideshow.

I'm editing the show tonight, tomorrow I hope to have the pictures scanned, Wednesday I'm going to ride my bike, and then maybe Thursday I'll rip the show to DVD.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Your grace too teaser was fantastic. Great camera work... audio was good, you could at least hear his rants. Thanks for filming chris, cant wait for whole show... thanks again
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

The show was awesome! Left Ottawa after the show with Steve and got to bed that night at about 4:30... woke up at 9 and headed out. I got to meet Hugh and his family, Chris very briefly (I had to get the front before it filled up! :) ) and I talked to D-Man for a bit up front! Every one was very friendly... hugh was exciting and the whole weekend was MADNESS.

The show was awesome. Loved the fights with the mic and Gord's stuff about buying the stage was hilarious. And of course the tit song was funny! The new songs all sound AWESOME live and We'll Go Too was SO great to hear. The last encore was VERY painful up front, but it was ALL worth it!

We stopped by hugh's after the show too and it was a blast! I've NEVER met more devoted people than them. And they're SO nice. Happy belated Bday (again) to Hugh because you rule!

I forget everthing because I'm exhausted, but it was the best show I've ever seen! So much fun! I hope the DVD works out and I can somehow get a copy because it was awesome. And the weather was awesome.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I don't think enough can be said about what a great dude Hugh is... so here isThe Official Hugh appreciation thread :)
gus
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gus »

Hey fellow hippsters'... Made it up to Wasaga for the show last night and just wanted to say that the five of us had a great time. The day was perfect weather wise, not to mention bikini wise :jump haha. Had no probs with parking..found a place right off the main strip for $15. Pinted at the car for a bit then we made our way down to the beach to take in the sights!!! Climbed up the stairs to one of the rooftop bars and drank ample pitchers of beer (got a good hip chant going too :)) Made it prob about 20 rows back from the front of the stage for the show. Highlights were
1. We'll Go Too
2. Summer is killing us (should have opened with it..soo hot out)
3. Fire in the Hole
4. Nashville (f@#$in love this tune, belted the lyrics too haha
5. Gus
6. Good life
7. Silver Jet
8. Heaven
hell they were all great.. would have liked to hear NOIB and Family though, they were soo good last week at the MOD.

I found the crowd was better on Canada Day then yesterday though, maybe it was just where i was standing. Not a lot of people seemed into it too much and found that people were more interested in the damn frisbee near the end of the show than watching the band..weird! Haven't caught a show outdoors since the Amp two years ago (general admission) and it brought me back to the roadsides/moslon park gigs.. Anyways this is a cool little thing/forum you guys have going here glad i just joined on and hope to catch up with some of the hipbase in either sarnia or buffalo.

Gord is the man with the microphone stand :D
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

I brought my family and a friend from Detroit, Mi. to Wasaga Beach for a 4 day weekend/vacation. Of course, the main reason for making the trip was to see The Hip. I rented a cottage that had a small yard with picnic tables. As you have read, I tried to organize a Hipbase gathering prior to the show, so I could put some faces with the screen names I know. It was pretty successful, with two large groups of people coming by the cottage to say hello. Unfortunately, the two groups missed each other by minutes.

Chris(Chris), Darren(D-Man), Trevor(Man-Sized Eldorado) and Cameron showed up. Angie(Dyersbay) arrived with a group of her friends. Stephen Dame and ShannonW, who both attended the Ottawa show the night before, came with friends too. Everyone was very friendly and nice. We met for less than an hour and went our seperate ways. We crossed paths again at the show, but hung out in seperate areas. Stephen, Shannon and their friends made it to the barrier in front of the band. They were crushed a bit , but said the experience was awesome! We were in the Gold Circle area way off to the far left on Paul's side. It was elevated above the general admission area and gave us a great unobstructed view of 'The Boys'. The fans in GA were much closer, but I enjoyed my spot.

The show started an hour late at 7:05 pm. The Hip played an awesome 18 song set, then came out for two encores which included 5 more tunes. Some of the highlights included Gord doing his mikestand rant 3 or 4 times throughout the show. Another was when Gord announced, "We're at the 100th Meridian". The crowd let out a very loud cheer. Then Gord said quickly, twice in a row and in a muffled voice, "Shut the F**k Up"! He waited a moment and said, "No, go ahead and yell your head off"! The band launched into the song, which was one of the best performances of the night. Gord was flinching and flailing wildly at a rapid pace, then suddenly he began moving in slow motion. Then he did his gorilla imitation and finally he straddled his mikestand as if he were riding a horse. He pretended to be a rider who had fallen asleep in the saddle as the horse kept on.

Then during the musical interlude prior to the great, last, fast verse in 100th, Gord said,"Uh-Oh, she's gonna steal the show. Here come the tits"! I couldn't see the person, but she flashed the guys by lifting her shirt. The band kept playing but Gord had stopped, amused by this woman's antics. He suddenly made up a four line rant off the top of his head with each line rhyming with 'tits'. I wish I could remember what he said because it made me laugh and it ended with 'Here come the tits'. Gord then finished the song and collapsed in a crumpled mass, exhausted and yelling at his mikestand.

The band was very tight and the show was great! At the end Gord said,"This is 'Fire in the Hole', I hate this song. He waited a moment, then said," I don't really hate this song, I just want to stamp out hate. You're all gonna go out there and take care of each other, right"? Great show closing song during which Gord did his rooster/peacock imitation. (Love that!)

After the show I ran into Mark(Markslog), Dave( BornaLion) and his brother. I had a great time at the show and enjoyed meeting everyone from the Hipbase. I hope to meet other Hipbasers at the Sarnia Bayfest.

I forgot to mention one exciting thing that happened to my wife Carolyn(WheatQueen) and her best friend Suzie after the show. Behind the Gold Circle area was a large security area with trailers for the bands. There were numerous O.P.P. and concert security about, and it appeared there would be no way to meet the band.

I am a firefighter/paramedic. On the same city block where the security area was, is the local fire station. We decided to go there so I could kibitz with the guys on duty and check out the fire apparatus. While I was touring the station, Carolyn and Suzie walked behind it to have a smoke without telling me. The fire station backed up to the security area. Through the fence Carolyn saw Paul speaking with two women. Carolyn and Suzie called to him and he waved, but the women talking to him kept his attention. Robbie was standing nearby talking to Billy Ray, The Hip's long time head roadie. The girls called to him and he walked behind the trailers to speak with them through the fence. I came out of the fire station to find those guys were gone and wandered off looking for them.

In the meantime, Carolyn and Suzie spoke with Robbie for 5 minutes. When leaving he said he was sorry he couldn't give the girls a handshake or hug, but he stuck his fingers through the fence and they shook fingertips. I thought that was funny and very nice of Robbie. Of course, I was disappointed that I missed meeting him after I had heard the story. Someday I will get another chance.

:thumb:
craigd
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Hip in Wasaga

Post by craigd »

I saw the Molson Amplitheatre show but the Wasaga show totally ROCKED ! It was SOOOO much better ! I love the new songs too !!
As well I would like to get a video copy of the Wasaga show as I brought my 9 and 11 year olds with me to witness their first REAL concert ! And it was the HIP too !! Amazing show ... something to keep forever !
"Not just a memory... not just Memorex... " :thumb:
theAryanTwang
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by theAryanTwang »

Gotta say this was a great time. Hopefully I don't get bashed for saying this, but I didn't buy tickets to the show!! I watched from the sidelines for free... and I was probably closer than half the people inside the fence! I guess being 6'3" has it's advantages!

Anyway, I thought the concert was excellent, my second hip show (the other one being at Pine Knob in detroit for the IVL tour)... played lots of great songs, and hearing the new ones live made me warm up to IBE. Does anyone else hear the similarity in sound between Gus and Grace, Too??... not the lyrics, just the music, right at the beginning, regardless, it's a great tune. I was hoping to hear Wheat Kings, but Fire in the Hole did the trick (to say the least!!). One thing that was buggin me was a guy watching from the sidelines as I was kept saying "That's not the hip.. play something good... " got me really pissed off. Buddy if you are too ignorant to give the band a chance to play their new material then just leave, it's not like he paid for tickets. The guy probably only knew the radio hits anyway... jagoff.

All in all I wasn't more pumped when I left the show, I snuck around to the back when they were leaving the stage after the second encore and got a sweet shot of the whole group.

And after reading the Bayfest reviews I'm glad I didn't go. A couple friends of mine were bugging me to get tickets for us and I said no way am I going to that massive jock bash.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Hey Chris,

I'm in the process of downloading it and it should be finished today. I will leave my window open for a couple more days so people can get as much as possible.

Quick question for you regarding the DVD. How do I burn the dvd so I can watch on my dvd player? Do I burn the dvd as a data dvd or a video dvd? I'm guessing as a data cd and it should be watchable on my dvd player.

If Chris or anyone else knows, let me know.

Thanks!
Sbblake
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 2004-07-11 - Main Beach Area - Wasaga Beach, ON

Post by Sbblake »

Wow. This thread brought back some great memories. The sun, the heat, the cold beer and the Hip. This was an amazing weekend! Never thought to look for video of the concert but just came across a few postings on YouTube. Going to set aside some time this weekend to watch the concert again.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Here Come The Tits!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »