2004-07-17 - Bayfest 2004 - Sarnia, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

dyersbay
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by dyersbay »

Well what was with the no backpacks rule?? The backpack I use for all concerts is pretty damn small. I saw women with purses bigger than my backpack. I guess somehow that's o.k.?? :scratch: :roll: I have no problem with them searching it..but it wasn't allowed in at all! That's just retarded.
cmARCH
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cmARCH »

The performance was excellent. It was my first Hip show in a couple of years (8 or 9th overall) and I will certainly be seeing them again. A highlight for me was actually Music @ Work and probably because I wouldn't have expected it to be. Gord was in fine form. The new tunes are great.

I didn't catch the first opening band but the Spades were awesome. I'll be looking for these guys again. They're on the way up that's for sure. Check them out at www.thespades.ca.

Overall it was a great time.
cougar_trader
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by cougar_trader »

An adventure!!
My 15yr son wanted to see the hip. So i decieded to take him and two of his HIPFAN buddies down to bayfest.

When we got there my van broke down and they boys pushed me to Mufflerman which was the only thing open the was playing from the CD player. It was the only thing open. It turned out to be the alternator. I phoned Canadian Tire and they work on it until morning. I started to phone around for motel rooms and couldn't find any. Finally I called the best western and the had ONE room left. I asked where they were loacted and they said right beside the concert. PERFECT!!

We got into the concert early and were 6 feet from the front. We watched the first two bands and the boys thought The Spades were great. It was thier first concert they had been to. everything was going really well until they realeased they drunks from the drunk tank. We had a guy right at the rail that left as soon as he got there to get drunk and he decieded to return with some friends right before they hip come out. Gord was preforming at his best for Scar and Grace. The drunks started to close in so we backed up about 30 ft. A crowd surfer landed on me on the way back and knocked off my glasses which I had just bought in May $250. I bent over to try to find them and couldn't so we continued on to the 30ft mark.
I thought the setlist was great and the sound was much clearer than it was 2yrs ago when i was at bayfest. ( I was completly sober this time ) We got a little closer for the second encore and gord standing up paddling his canoe was cool.
When it ended my son said hey let's go find your one shoe that I lost during Scar. We headed toward the front and one of the other boys said holy shit there's your glasses. Totally detstoyed no lenses one arm missing and what was left was mangled beyond repair. Oh yeah we found the shoe too, unharmed.

2 tickets for the hip $60
motel room $134
new smashed glasses $250
van repair $450

Taking my son to first concert ...........well you know the rest

Westie
Sabina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sabina »

Aw Westie, what shitty luck! :(

As for the whole drinking thing...
I didn't drink either. I wasn't at all in a drinking mood. This is the second time I haven't drank at a concert and I have to say I think I like it better. Well better for GA shows. Besides, drinking just makes ya have to pee and that means giving up whatever spot you worked hard enough or came early enough to get. But that's GA right? It sucks in so many ways.
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

Good enough...

Post by Kolcun »

Great show. The crowd ate ass, but I'm used to that (not from Hip shows tho). Yeah, you could see the guys were not as into as normal, but they still kicked a hell of a lot of ass. Props to Roy - Keith says you're a loser (no, he didn't. but I did.)

Also, yeah I hope they get out of this repetative setlist stuff. But gotta love em anyways.
Noricu
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: Good enough...

Post by Noricu »

Kolcun wrote:Great show. The crowd ate ass, but I'm used to that (not from Hip shows tho). Yeah, you could see the guys were not as into as normal, but they still kicked a hell of a lot of ass. Props to Roy - Keith says you're a loser (no, he didn't. but I did.)

Also, yeah I hope they get out of this repetative setlist stuff. But gotta love em anyways.
Weren't you the guy that wanted to stick the beach ball with a knife?
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

Beach ball? Beach bum? JESUS!

Post by Kolcun »

Nah, must've been Keith. I don't know what you're on about. Btw, he lost that girl after the show... she left him so quickly once she found her friends - SUCKA!! Man, I'm a dick.

I have to say tho, with everyone ripping on the organization of this show, I thought this was one of the best set-up beer tent systems I've ever seen. In one aisle, out another, no screwing around. Fun stuff.

Any one else see Beach Bum Jesus? Yellow windbreaker, yellow/cream plaid pants and a blonde beard and hair cut? He was hilarious... till about half way thru the show when he started defending himself... hahahahaha... and then after the show he was picking up all the left over shoes... ah, the memories...
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

Whistlerkid wrote:THE SPADES RULE! www.thespades.ca check it out!
I just want to add that I checked out the Spades last night here in Kingston and they are AMAZING musicians! and lovely people!
Make sure to pick up their Gord Sinclair produced CD!!
Great show guys!!
tina
sarahthehip1
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by sarahthehip1 »

sarnia was intense
the crowd was crazy as hell.......lot of idiots
but all in all it was a great show
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

thats sudbury
The_Dark_Canuck
New Maybe
New Maybe

they sure did play evelyn

Post by The_Dark_Canuck »

yeah, they definitely played evelyn,
turns out flying across the country to check out the hip is a good idea after all......
concert tickets:35$
gas money to drive down from toronto:100$
plane tickets:600$
the opening of "Music at Work" live for the first time: priceless
buffalo hockey guy
New Maybe
New Maybe

a little late for review-but just found this site

Post by buffalo hockey guy »

this trip was an absolute debacle from the word go. 2 vehicles-1 breaks down on the downslope of the peace bridge! ever try to get AAA on the line when in CA? they wanted us to get towed by CAA to the other side of the peace bridge then call AAA back to get towed from there!?! thank god for my parents who drove over woth two cars, gave us one of them and waited for the tow truck for us. they rock:) they have also seen the hip about 5 times. so right about now im ready to call AA and we still have a 4hr drive just to get to the WORST HIP SHOW ive ever been to..........
im surprised nobody mentioned the sound quality of this show (or lack therof) esp. if you were 10 or 15 degrees off center. the crowd did suck which is ridiculous bcuz the set was awesome and gord has been very animated on this tour. the other thing was the drive-in movie screen dead center about 100 yards from the stage? what was that? it caused you to move 10 to 15 deg off center, as stated above, causing sound to stink. i wish i knew about paying extra for those side seats. anyway because of these problems i was ready to hang it up as a hip-head. 60 something shows this was by far the worst-only bcuz the crowd and sound-but some of us went to dc and philly and my faith was renewed. hallelujah!!! i have seen the (violet) light! and it was good. ps sarnia smells(literally like fish)
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

The sound absolutely sucked at that show!!!!!!!! Thats all I have to say. :x
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
rockk62
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by rockk62 »

From Sarnia so heres my take on things:

Sarnia + Tragically Hip = Pain in the ass

Too many drunks

too many wanna be cop type security type bouncer type so unprofessional type kids working the crowd that you feel the need to help every kid that hits the ground

Gord is always grumpy because of the crowd - grumpy gord=short show

More food booths than leg room

it was a decent show, but would have been much better if my equipment didnt get taken by the 20 year old rambo working the gates