2004-07-17 - Bayfest 2004 - Sarnia, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-07-17 - Bayfest 2004 - Sarnia, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

Just got back...so tired, so wasted.

Anywyas, full review later but i will say some things now

The audience sucked!! Pushing around and butting infront. i mean, you had flipping 14 year olds behaving better than the 30 year olds there. It was sad and frustrating and i missed fully completely because of it. Its sad when gord needs to stop between songs and tell the audience to be mature.

Secondly -- on a happier note - I GOT A SETLIST! THIS IS MY FIRST HIP-THINGISH , i wish i could meet the band, but meh.

Ooh thirdly -- with this local band -- the name escapes me -- a women by the name of melanie downie played the fiddle on one song. Looked like it could have very well been gords daughter.

anyhoo more later.

take it easy.

-roy
K-Town Lassie
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by K-Town Lassie »

"I GOT A SETLIST! THIS IS MY FIRST HIP-THINGISH"
Congrats, my man! :thumb:

I'm still working on getting one myself.

Cheers.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Great Show, Shitty Crowd.

Gord and the boys put on one hell of a show once again. Unfortunately the crowd was too drunk and too inconsiderate to act mature. I staked my place about 20 feet from center, and as the show neared many a drunks decided that they could barg on through.

Once the show started it got worse. There was a fight right behind me witch forced me to try to protect the two young girls in fron of me. I ended up missing Poets (I think). The moshing progressed and I retreated to a distance about 50 feet from stage. From there I only had 3 crowd surfers crash on to my head.

Right now I sound like an 80 year old man who hates the world. BUt I am a 19 year-old kid who loves to party and have a good time. But I do have one little thing enstilled in me called Respect.

Anyway, the show really was great, Gord pulled out all his old tricks, including: paddling the stage during Little Bones (as he stood up he told the crowd not to stand up in canoe), fighting and lecturing the mic, making ends with Courage ("He's not a very good friend, but he's good company"), and going through 100th meridian like he was a Beastie Boy.

I found this interesting: Gord call Bobcaygeon "In Bobcaygeon", which is also how it appears on the CD in the Labatt Blue cases. :?

Driving home, K106.3 was played about 10 hip songs in a row, which was quite nifty.

I am headed to bed, I hope my fellow hipbasers had a good time.

:thumb:
Last edited by LoftyPines on Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Oh Yeah, The Spades rocked too. I was very impressed!!!
D-man
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by D-man »

Roy-at-tth wrote:I GOT A SETLIST! THIS IS MY FIRST HIP-THINGISH
Would you be able to post the full setlist come morning???
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

show was awesome. so much energy, gord was really dancing a lot even quite a bit with guitar in hand.

crown was terrible. assholes were both pushing their way to the front and just pushing for no reason. 1 crowd surfer hit me in the head and my hat and sunglasses went flying. hat was recovered in mid-air but sunglasses flew and landed in an unknown spot. it got really intense and violent at points in the pit, and i was actually hoping they would not play an encore. unfortunately the played two. people kept getting kowcked over - it wasn't cool.

early in the show gord made a few comments about how "there is nothing about recklessness (i think thats the word he used) in any of our songs, i checked"

at the end of the show i tried looking for my poor sunglasses (plastic Roots model) knowing that they would not be in one piece. after about 5 mins of searching, some kid happens to walk by me after picking something up and i see him putting it in his pocket. MY SUNGLASSES!!! i ask him if he found them, adding that they are mine and he handed them to me. the nose crossbar thing was flattenend out but nothing was broken! i gently bent them back into shape (very tricky with plastic) and it worked. i cant believe that after spening ~100 minutes on the ground under such a violent crowd that they didnt break!

some songs in no order:

Scar
grace
evelyn
nashville
poets
fully
music
good life
jet
summer
gus
streak
heaven
you're everywhere
bob c
joe
fireworks
abac
new o
meridian
courage
kings
blow
bones
cpierson
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cpierson »

Wait. They played _Evelyn_? Seriously?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Evelyn????? Are you sure about that?
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

What is it about Sarnia? I am pretty sure two years ago I was reading the same type of reviews. That the crowd was out of hand and the hip were not impressed.

Anyone else remember this?
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

If they played Evelyn then i think its time for suicide. No way they played that!
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

prz wrote:What is it about Sarnia? I am pretty sure two years ago I was reading the same type of reviews. That the crowd was out of hand and the hip were not impressed.

Anyone else remember this?
Yeah, two years ago it was completely oversold and out of control. Theis year there was room, but the crowd was just stupid.

As for Evelyn... I don't remember that. But it could have been during the fight that was going on behind me. I was pre-occupied trying to shelter the girls aroyund it. Plus the moshing that ensued was just too much.
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Can we get a confirmation on the Evelyn thing?? Roy, try to get that setlist up when you get a chance, I'm dyin to see this!
tiger2375
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tiger2375 »

im curious too know if they played evelyn
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Man, why do people have to be like that at shows... :x The crowd was HORRIBLE at the DMB concert last week. I swear only 10% of the people there were actually there to see the band and enjoy the music. Everyone else was there just to party and make idiots of themselves.
These idiots pay alot for their tickets and then they don't even go for the concert. UGH :x :nooooo

Anyway, sounds like it was an awesome time with lots of animation from Gord :thumb: Darien Lake in 5 days :jump