2004-07-24 - Laurentian University - Sudbury, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

First of all, as Shannon's friend, I can tell you that you're way off in your attack on her. She stood, like many of us, for four hours to secure a spot up front to enjoy the band.

Second, unlike me, she and many of the folks up front aren't over six feet tall and are up front for a reason. They do the dirty work and earn their spots, only to be rudely displaced, obstructed or shoved by folks (apparently like you) who have little to no respect for others and feel that a band on stage gives you an excuse to act your worse. And I can tell you, because I was there, and because I was tall enough to see ya'll comin', that during the second encore MANY people crashed the front of the stage, spilled their beers, initiated shoving matches and just generally acted in the way Gord has condemend from the stage many, many times.

And third, Shannon and the vast majority of the fans up front were dancing, singing and bouncing along to each and every song. Don't confuse acting like a testosterone-raged jerk with enjoying the show.

I don't know you, but if I did, I'd tell you straight to your face that it's folks like you who give Hip fans a bad rep.
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

i'd like to see how long any of you would last at a death metal show lol, there wasn't even anything remotely violent on saturday (except for the guy who tried to pick a fight, but he was taken care of quickly), and all of this has been blown out of proportion.

gord and the boys looked rather happy IMO to see the crowd going wild, especailly after we failed to even sell out the arena last time they were here.

and for the jackass that's still badgering me about being late for the show, i was stuck at the idlewild country club watching my buddy's brother curl, because we could only get a ride to the club and then with his brother to the arena, we were supposed to have plenty of time but for some reason his brother felt it was more important to finish his curling game, than it was to get there on time. i had no control over that, and if i would've known that's how it was going to be i obviously would've taken a bus.

PS i'm only 5-7
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Geez, can't we all just get along?? After reading this thread, I'm surprised that moshing and crowd surfing are still going on at Hip shows. It's a shame, really. Their show in Calgary last month at the Whiskey was a perfect example of what a Hip concert should be like. No pushing, no shoving, no moshing or crowd surfing. Just everybody having a great time, bouncing along to the tunes and singing their lungs out. It was magical. This reminds me of a great Gord quote:

"You people in the back, if you wanna know what you're missing up here: there's a brave line of young women getting crushed by large male bodies. C'mon folks, this isn't supposed to mirror society. It's supposed to provide an ideal. Crowd surfing went out with acid wash!"

-London, ON '98
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

The Darkest Canuck wrote:i'd like to see how long any of you would last at a death metal show lol, there wasn't even anything remotely violent on saturday (except for the guy who tried to pick a fight, but he was taken care of quickly), and all of this has been blown out of proportion.
If I need to point out the differences between a Hip show and a death metal show, this cause is lost. To paraphrase you: "If you want to slam dance, put on your boots and head to a death Metal show Grandpa." Out of proportion? They started elbowing, shoving and moshing during Bobcaygeon fergodsake.

gord and the boys looked rather happy IMO to see the crowd going wild, especailly after we failed to even sell out the arena last time they were here.
Gord and the boys looked thrilled from note one, they always have. Gord's: "You're going to take care of each other, right?" and his many messages to the crowd over the years would also suggest a different interpretation.

and for the jackass that's still badgering me about being late for the show, i was stuck at the idlewild country club watching my buddy's brother curl, because we could only get a ride to the club and then with his brother to the arena, we were supposed to have plenty of time but for some reason his brother felt it was more important to finish his curling game, than it was to get there on time. i had no control over that, and if i would've known that's how it was going to be i obviously would've taken a bus.

PS i'm only 5-7
Cool. But if you show up late, that's not our fault either. If you want to be up front, it might be a better idea to plan ahead and get there at 6:30 like the 75 of us in the first two rows for David Go Go and the entire Hip show had already done.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

More great points from Brian, Stephen and direwolf74. Thanks all, I'm glad that I'm not alone in feeling like this.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

"I gotta say, I gotta talk to Jake about live G.A."

Taken from 07.02.02, directly from the man himself...

Let's all relax folks, and enjoy the tour...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

i wasn't late for the show on saturday...OK

i wasn't disturbing anyone to the point where they so much as even gave me a dirty look, i didn't injure anyone, i caught all of the crowd surfers that came hurdling towards me, i didn't spill anything, didn't start any fights, i was just there having a good time, that's why we go to concerts right? to have fun? all of this useless arguing about what was essentially nothing makes it less fun afterwards looking back on it, besides i think we can all at least agree with each other on one thing: it was a great show, in fact, i'd say that it was easily the best show i've ever been to in sudbury.
murfolopolis
New Maybe
New Maybe

Sudbury Saturday Night

Post by murfolopolis »

This is my first entry as a new member of the HIPBASE group. I've been following the site for a few months now, and really enjoy the content and the folks that contribute, so I figure it's my turn to join in...

It's a couple of days after the Sudbury show, and I am still grinning from the experience. We left Ottawa at lunchtime, got to Sudbury for a quick pregame supper, the obligatory pics at "THE" Nickel, and then on to the show.

Needless to say, the show was fantastic. The boys did not disapoint. It was a similar setlist to the Ottawa show, and they maximized every minute of it. The energy on stage was great, and Mr. Downie was as animated as I've seen him in a while. He definetly did "provide the content" for the microphone. Falling over the monitor speakers, and impersonating a microphone stand were a couple of the Downieisms that we laughed about all the way back to Ottawa.

Great to hear Silver Jet and Lake Fever in there! But the new stuff really does lend itself to the live experience.

One observation on GD's guitar playing...he's getting more and more mobile with it. He looks more and more at ease with it as concerts go by.

Getting to bed at 6am after the drive home, directly after the show, was well worth it!! Let's hope that Peterborough is a go, and we'll see you all at the show!!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Sudbury Saturday Night

Post by Stephen Dame »

murfolopolis wrote:This is my first entry as a new member of the HIPBASE group. I've been following the site for a few months now, and really enjoy the content and the folks that contribute, so I figure it's my turn to join in...

It's a couple of days after the Sudbury show, and I am still grinning from the experience. We left Ottawa at lunchtime, got to Sudbury for a quick pregame supper, the obligatory pics at "THE" Nickel, and then on to the show.

Needless to say, the show was fantastic. The boys did not disapoint. It was a similar setlist to the Ottawa show, and they maximized every minute of it. The energy on stage was great, and Mr. Downie was as animated as I've seen him in a while. He definetly did "provide the content" for the microphone. Falling over the monitor speakers, and impersonating a microphone stand were a couple of the Downieisms that we laughed about all the way back to Ottawa.

Great to hear Silver Jet and Lake Fever in there! But the new stuff really does lend itself to the live experience.

One observation on GD's guitar playing...he's getting more and more mobile with it. He looks more and more at ease with it as concerts go by.

Getting to bed at 6am after the drive home, directly after the show, was well worth it!! Let's hope that Peterborough is a go, and we'll see you all at the show!!
I'll just throw this out there: If Peterborough is a go, we should get a Capital Car Pool on the go. I've got friends with a place to stay in the Borough (depending on how many folks of course...) and we could pick up folks along the way. Anybody got a van? I guess we could rent one... seriously, anybody willing?
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

The Darkest Canuck wrote:i wasn't late for the show on saturday...OK

i wasn't disturbing anyone to the point where they so much as even gave me a dirty look, i didn't injure anyone, i caught all of the crowd surfers that came hurdling towards me, i didn't spill anything, didn't start any fights, i was just there having a good time, that's why we go to concerts right? to have fun? all of this useless arguing about what was essentially nothing makes it less fun afterwards looking back on it, besides i think we can all at least agree with each other on one thing: it was a great show, in fact, i'd say that it was easily the best show i've ever been to in sudbury.
Darkest Canuck, I'm glad that it wasn't you who was doing any/all of the acts listed above. I started by commenting on the crowd in general, or at least many of the people directly around me, but took offence with you personally when you seemed to defend those actions. Anyway, I'm glad that you had a good time, and yes I agree, it was a great show! See you this winter when they (hopefully) roll through town again!
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

:lol: this post is great...i remember my last death metal concert :thumb:
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Hairbird wrote:See you this winter when they (hopefully) roll through town again!

*crosses fingers* y'knowit! i wouldn't miss it for the world, i wouldn't be late for it either ;).
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

]V[ANTIS wrote::lol: this post is great...i remember my last death metal concert :thumb:
I remember my last death metal concert (it was just a few weeks ago): Infernal Majesty (from BC), Corporate Riot (from Toronto), and Dead Jesus (from Edmonton), and local fan favs Fleshcraft. It was quite the spectacle, i especially enjoyed Dead Jesus, they're friggin nuts. During their set the singer, errr, vocalist, tore up a bible, took a page from it, set the page on fire...AND ATE IT WHILE IT WAS ON FIRE!!!!!!! That's something you don't forget lol!

Canada has a suprisingly strong grassroots metal movement, and i'm proud to be a part of it, even though the hip are my favourite band i still enjoy many many many different types of music, everything from death metal to hip hop, grunge, classic rock, industrial, all kinds of stuff :). I use it up, I use it all up ;).
funnpiet
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by funnpiet »

Dude... the hip aren't death metal. Smoke a doob and chill out. So much negativity on here!
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

wait, you're telling me the hip aren't death metal...but wait, are you sure because i thought...but...huh? OMG what a revelation!!!!!!!!!! they really aren't death metal, i totally get it now :roll:

find where i ever said that the hip were death metal, i was commenting that the crowd was no where near as rowdy as it was made out to be, and that if anybody thought that was a crazy crowd, that they haven't been exposed to a truly nuts crowd (for example, the type that you would find at a death metal show)...i can't believe i'm still explaining this...

BTW i smoked several doobs that evening, and combined with all of the wine i had consumed it only made me more hyper :mrgreen: