2004-09-12 - Across the Causeway - Kingston, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Littleproud
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Littleproud »

Um, I have some great pictures...but I don't know how to post them. Can I email them to someone to put up here for me?

d
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Ive never been so disappointed in a crowd before! They ruined the concert for alot of people by crowd surfing and throwing water bottles. Who the hell crowd surfs at a hip concert anyway? Obviously not anyone on here or anyone who loves the hip as much as we do.(i hope)
Setlist was garbage (same old, same old) except for locked and escape.

I think the reason why they didnt play fire in the hole was becasue someone would of got killed. It was obvious gord didnt like the surfing becasue of some things he said in his rants like " look at this garbage" while pointing to the crowd.

We started near the front, but then once the fights, pushing, surfing started we went back to the tower with the spotlights. Im too old for that shit , and for any hip fans who missed the concert and felt left out,,, well dont, you guys didnt miss a thing.

THAT WAS THE LAST OUTDOOR HIP CONCERT FOR ME! Too many punks!
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

That really is too bad about the jackasses in the crowd but can we really be surprised?? Tragically Hip...home for the first time in a near decade...2 universities and 1 college...frosh week...I knew it would be like this.

I am sorry however that I wasn't able to get up to the show, would have been a great time nonetheless...I'm most upset about missing Escape, that would have been just incredible.

I'm still plugging away trying to win tickets on The Bear 106.9 in Ottawa for the private show...hopefully that will be a little more civil...I'm thinking it will be.

Hope to see y'all there,
Goulet!!
Trippinbillyrmc
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Trippinbillyrmc »

I think alot of the crowd was ok, there were just a few jackasses trying to push to the front causing alot of problems, I started about 6 rows back and literally got pushed all the way to the barrier by the end of the show so I didnt mind. The crowd surfing is ok to a point, but I couldn't really watch the show until after courage as I was too worried about protecting my sunglasses and also my face from crowd surfers.

Remarkable Energy from the boys last night!

Props to the clean up crew, the field is totally clean now!
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

Great show, but i must admit i was really disappointed with the setlist. I really wanted to see some other older songs played. Nothing played off Road Apples just isnt right (I think I am correct in saying that).
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

yes you are. They has some time to learn some old songs. If the upcoming tour's set doesnt change a liitle I see no reason to spend another $60 on the same set.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Yeah, that seems to be the album most consistently left out, and its a shame, especially the way they're sounding latley with the new album (ripping it up on the guitars, general ass kicking tunes).
Gotcha
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Gotcha »

Ive seen 3 shows this summer and the set list has pretty much been the same, although they usually throw a song off of fully and change them up. I dont mind it that much but i would of really liked to see a couple of songs from road apples or something to change it up at least for the home crowd. And yea; crowd surfing was terrible, but what about all the broads on people shoulders lol, i wanted to push a couple down ;|
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

prz wrote:Great show, but i must admit i was really disappointed with the setlist. I really wanted to see some other older songs played. Nothing played off Road Apples just isnt right (I think I am correct in saying that).
This was a festival show, and The Hip stuck to their most recent festival setlist. I hope this will change for the US tour. As Vicariousmartyr said, this most recent CD has some awesome ripping guitars, and to not play a few more off their older CDs is forgetting about their hard rockin' blues roots.

Just my opinion. :thumb:
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

I'm not worried... they usually use the US shows to 'play around' with the setlist a little more.... i gotta imagine that it's tough playing in Canada & deciding which songs to play... the crowd is definitely expecting a lot more of the 'common' songs, the ones they know.

Let's face it, while I'd be frickin' ecstatic if they played Another Midnight instead of New Orleans, do you really think the other 20,000 people would cheer as loudly? No.... but i don't think there's as much pressure in the states to play the 'hits'.... and I think they realize that the crowds that they're playing to in the states are perhaps, more willing/excited to hear variances in the setlist....
orestesluna
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by orestesluna »

This is the setlist I have from Kingston:

01 Vaccination Scars
02 Grace, Too
03 Summer Is Killing Us
04 Poets
05 It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
06 Josephine
07 Courage
08 It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
09 Bobcaygeon
10 Nautcal Disaster
11 You Are Everywhere
12 Fireworks
13 The Hundredth Meridian
14 Springtime In vienna
15 Meanstreak
16 New Orleans Is Sinking
17 Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
18 My Music @ Work
19 whooers
20 Heaven Is A Better Place Today
21 Wheat Kings
22 Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
23 more whooers
24 Escape Is At Hand For The Travelling Man
25 Ahead By A Century
26 Blow At High Dough
Rwefamily
New Maybe
New Maybe

K-town

Post by Rwefamily »

I just have to say that I really enjoyed this show!! We were all so excited to see the Hip that standing for three hours in the sun, just didn't seem to bother us :D When Gordie came on, we were so happy just to see him again...his impression of the Gorilla was amazing the straight jacket look was so cool and the dance with the micro phone was great....
I was so happy to hear him play the Gus song, as when I went to Sudbury, I sang that song out to him, so he would come and talk to us at the gate...he came over and chatted....he is a true Canadian and rock star 8) .

I am glad to have seen them in Kingston and hope to win tickets to their show in Ottawa....only 1000 people are attending, and you have to win tickets....

Cheers everyone!!!
thompsongirl21
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Across the Causeway

Post by thompsongirl21 »

The Hip played an amazing show on Sunday. I would have liked maybe a little more old stuff. My Brother and I got there early and waited in the front. So when 7 rolled around we were right there. I have never been that close to them before. It was the best time I've ever had. I've been to shows before, but to be that close. The highlite for me was Poets. I managed to end up directly infront of Baker and it blew me away. I will agree though, the crowd was insane. Definently the first time I feared getting injured at a Hip show. Overall great day and I loved escape and locked in the trunk. Gord outstanding as usual.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

boot wrote:I'm not worried... they usually use the US shows to 'play around' with the setlist a little more... and I think they realize that the crowds that they're playing to in the states are perhaps, more willing/excited to hear variances in the setlist....
Nice post, Boot! I hope you are correct! :thumb: