2004-09-12 - Across the Causeway - Kingston, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

I know a lot of us were expecting a lot from this show in terms of song selection--there was so much "I wonder if they'll play [insert incredibly rare song here]??!' that it was also bound to be a letdown when they didn't. And I mean, sure it was Kingston and it was their first hometown show in almost a decade...but at the end of the day, this was still a festival-style show, and when you've got 18,000 people coming out to see there's necessarily going to be a hit-heavy set. In that sense, the Hip delivered big time. Give them a U.S. club tour to work in some of their older, non-single material; I'm sure the arena tour, where it's less "people going to see the Hip for the sake of seeing the band" as it is "people going to see the Hip because they love the band", will feature at least a few more rarities. Here's hopin', anyway. :?

Steve

p.s.: Ironically, the one song I reeeeeeally wanted to hear, for one reason or another, was "Fully Completely", and they freakin' didn't play it. And here I am complaining about the setlist. Go figure. :P
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Eesh--those Journal articles are two bad, baaaaad pieces of writing. Why am I not surprised?

"Time restrictions must have been a major issue, because they seemed to be shooing The Hip off the stage with a weird drum loop that kept being played—at one point staying on through half of 'Ahead By A Century.'"

And see, I don't get this...I mean, that "weird drum loop" was so obviously part of the song it baffles me that a critic could make a claim such as that. Just another example of the Journal screwing up even the simplest tasks. :wink:

Steve, being subjected to the Queen's Journal since 1999
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

NWOntario wrote:Eesh--those Journal articles are two bad, baaaaad pieces of writing. Why am I not surprised?

"Time restrictions must have been a major issue, because they seemed to be shooing The Hip off the stage with a weird drum loop that kept being played—at one point staying on through half of 'Ahead By A Century.'"

And see, I don't get this...I mean, that "weird drum loop" was so obviously part of the song it baffles me that a critic could make a claim such as that. Just another example of the Journal screwing up even the simplest tasks. :wink:

Steve, being subjected to the Queen's Journal since 1999
You are right on Steve, not to sure where the journal was at about 6 pm by the beer tent. There was a super long line and people were getting pissed off that they were letting any one in. But its the Journal what do you expect.
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

Nobody has mentioned the Spades, how were they?
Dr. J
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Dr. J »

Great set, but short...only 5 songs. Gord Sinclair joined them on acoustic guitar for two of the numbers. Here's how the Whig Standard reported it the following day:

Hip bassist Gord Sinclair gave the audience an unexpected preview of things to come when he joined Peterborough trio James McKenty and the Spades on stage for a breakneck performance of the band's unreleased Bustin' Off An Easy One, the guitar equivalent of a Nascar race.

Sinclair who co-produced The Spades new album, Burning on Fumes, had a five-minute rehearsal with the band backstage before jumping on stage for a chance to prove his muscle beyond his role as the Hip's bassist.

"The guys don't let me play guitar," he grinned in a backstage interview after the performance.
Last edited by Dr. J on Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Pictures up at thehip.com