2004-09-18 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-18 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
theAryanTwang
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by theAryanTwang »

they played Scared..... 'nuff said.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

My evening began with a surprising twist. By the time I was financially able to get tickets there were no decent (front & center) seats available so I ended up with back row of the mezzanine. Having been to many shows at The Fox Theater, I wasn’t too disappointed but still, I’m accustomed to being much closer to the action. I decided to cruise into the box office on the off-chance that I could get something a bit closer. I asked if they had anything up close. I could hardly contain myself when the nice lady said “I have one in the orchestra pit, fifth row, just a little off center”. I took a loss on the first ticket, but it was definitely worth it, as you’ll all see from the pics when I’ve had time to sort through the 226 shots (all at 2272 x 1704) I took. Some didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped, but there are lots of cool ones. I hope they’ll get us all by until Chris’s video is available. I believe he was front & center on the mezzanine and from that vantage point it’s gonna be an amazing presentation. Now on the real story!

The 2004 tour has officially started and it started and what a smokin’ start it was! Sam Roberts is an incredible artist and the best opener I’ve ever seen with The Hip. His band was tight, his songs were great both lyrically and musically, and he’s a true showman. He had people on their feet (even in the upper levels) singing and clapping along. He was literally all over the stage. I’d never heard any of his music before and I’m notoriously unimpressed with just about every “new” band that’s come along for several years but I’ll be buying his CDs next week. I can’t get over how perfect he is to open a Hip show.

The Hip hit the stage at about 9:20 and after the general greetings and a comment about not having summer around anymore to kick their asses (it was hard to hear over the roar of the crowd) they promptly blazed into “Vaccination Scar” and the show was on. It’s hard to single out specific moments or songs because they were loud, tight, obviously digging their groove and in the zone. Gordie was in true form with his ad-libs and diatribes and was totally into the audience and the interactions between Robby, Gord S. & Johnny & Paul were priceless.

As has already been noted, they played “Scared” which was awesome, all the new songs were well received, “Nautical Disaster” was one of the best I’ve ever seen or heard, Gordie got sidetracked and had to restart “Copenhagen” (I guess the drugs must have hit him), and they closed out with “Three Pistols”!

The 2004 tour is gonna rock hard and leave a wet spot.

Set List
VS
Poets
Summer
Fully
Giftshop
Something On
Josephine
Courage
Nashville
Scared
Makeshift
100th Meridian
Good Life
Fireworks
Nautical
Gus
NOIS
-------------------
Heaven
ABAC
Silver Jet
--------------------
Copenhagen
Three Pistols
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

Set List

VS - obviously opener

Poets - always get's gord goin'

Summer - "well we don't have summer to push us around anymore"

Fully - WOW! "you can have fully but not completely"

Giftshop

Something On - still kickin' around, haven't heard it in a bit, nice surprise

Josephine - "i like thinking about women alone... i don't care what that
makes me"

Courage - doesn't that guy owe me $10 ?!

Nashville - "here in detroit because it can't be nashville..."

Scared - Wicked, kinda ad-libbed all the chorus stuff with anything that
sounded like it could fit

***wicked solo singing by gord that led that into...

Makeshift - after 2 shows on IBE tour first time hearing it... blown away.

100th Meridian - "it's just a line of longitude, i'll walk you through it"

Good Life - always a nice one

Fireworks - something about fireworks being the one constant throughout the years

Nautical -

Gus - good one

NOIS
-------------------
Heaven - hipbaser beside me seemed real bummed ??

ABAC - bobby's guitar was fucking up or not plugged in

Silver Jet -
--------------------
Copenhagen - started, fucked up, gord: "can we start again", 1.5 copis

Three Pistols - shat my pants, cheered, sang, danced, went home.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Things couldn't have went better for the first leg of the Lap of the Lake roadtrip. Chris and Man-Sized Eldorado (Trevor) were able to record the opening show of the US tour. In a month or so we will have another great two show DVD to share.

This was truly a straight ahead rock and roll show. Gord D. ranted very little and he limited his on stage antics. The Hip were exceptionally tight. They did play a couple of gems and mixed up the set list a bit.

Here are some highlights. During Fully, Completely Gord kept saying, "You're only getting Fully...". He then did his motorcycle imitation and did one that looked like a child jumping for apples on a branch that was to high to reach. To start Scared, Gord ranted a story about how he might have to sell door to door for a living. He ended it with, "Like that would happen...". During Copenhagen, Gord's playback amp became unpluged. I saw this because I was second row, right in front of him. He asked the band to start over and they did. They went back to the top of the song from the chorus without stopping. The sell out crowd let out a huge cheer for correcting a mishap so effortlessly.

I turned around a couple of times to see a huge sea of bodies bouncing to every beat. The balcony was undulating like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I may be exaggerating a bit, but the full house was rockin'. I would say the two gems of the night were Something On and 3 Pistols. The show ended with Pistols and all I can say is WOW!! That was killer.

I was lucky enough to score backstage passes due to the kindness of The Hip and their manager. Everyone but Paul mingled with a lucky group of 30 people in the basement of The Fox. Each band member was pleasant. They spoke with everyone and took some pictures with a few of us. It definetly was a great show and an eventful night. Our Canadian and American group is getting along great. Chris and company are fun to hang with. Now we're off to Cleveland....
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

all you guys are pumped that they played scared.. they played that at like every concert last year. HOLY SHIT THEY PLAYED SOMETHING ON!!!!!

NOW THATS A SURPRISE SONG!!!

Good thing the hip broke out these good songs for kingston :roll:
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Out of curioustiy, I just took a quick look at the setlist stats. During 2002:

Scared - 16 times played
Something On - 15
Three Pistols - 12

None of the 3 seems to have been played during the handful of shows in 2003, but I personally wouldn't really consider any of these as really unplayed gems.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Hey Kiddies!!!

Chris and Trevor here from Cleveland! Wanted to (briefly) let everyone know the opening show of the US tour kicked butt!!! Hugh + Friends are awesome! Sammy was awesome! The Hip kicked it up something fierce last night! Great show, great venue!

We took a look at some of the footage we got last night at the show. Must say we will have a lot to work with. 2 video angles of both Sam and The Hip last night from front row, dead centre mezzanine. Will be shooting (nice pun eh?) for the same thing tonight at the Odeon.

More later from "The Lap of the Lake Tour!"

:jump Chris & Trevor (and no - we are not a gay couple....not that there is anything wrong wit h that!)
sabatooch
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sabatooch »

Well, what can I say, it was INSANE. I sat 3rd row mezzanine, and it was crazy- the hip would play, ppl would get going, and the whole balcony would actually shake. It was great meeting Chris and the others filming- the set-up they had was simply remarkable. The time and obvious effort MUST be rewarded b/c these guys looked like a proferssional film team working up on the balcony. Thanks alot guys- you help us in the hip community and ask for nothing in return- your dedication is superb.

This is a question for Chris- Did Gordie thank you guys at the end for filming- for some reason I heard, "thanks to the dreamteam guys for filming". I could be crazy or it could have been the booze talking, but that's what I made out? Ne ways, incredicble show, period.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Did Gordie thank you guys at the end for filming- for some reason I heard, "thanks to the dreamteam guys for filming".
I don't remember hearing that but that would be super cool if he recognized us! I don't know if we are much of a dreamteam though. I guess we can just look at the footage to see if it is true!

Oh Baby!
HugeHipFan
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HugeHipFan »

He said "thanks to the crew, Dean Ronie (Rony?), thanks for you." Perhaps Ronie is another name, or his last name. I know there's a Dean and a Brent on the crew.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

He said "thanks to the crew, Dean Ronie (Rony?), thanks for you." Perhaps Ronie is another name, or his last name. I know there's a Dean and a Brent on the crew.
Well there you go! I thank the crew as well - they do an awesome job, night in and night out!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here's a short, compressed clip of Sam Roberts in Detroit. It'll give you an idea of what The Hip DVD (and the Sam DVD) will be like - however the final DVD's will feature multiple camera angles.

Please right click, or Command+click and save the linked file to your computer. It is a 4.91Mb file.

http://www.ideahotel.com/2004-09-18-SR.mov
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

awesome clip chris, looks like you had a great angle!
habsfan19
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by habsfan19 »

wicked stuff Chris, can't wait to see it