2004-09-21 - Boston, MA - Avalon

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

Just got back to VT from Bean-town. Excellent trip, but the show was not as good as past ones I have seen. I had hoped the energy in Boston would be higher than when they play in VT, but it wasn't. Which, I guess, is a good thing. I was perhaps third or fourth row right in from of Gord S, I was surrounded by canadiens but I felt like the majority of the crowd (at least right around me) wasn't into it enough. No floor bouncing, no moshing (thankfully). Very respectful audience, the new songs didn't seen to be very well known...gord saw me singing along to Josephine and It appeared he appreciated it.

Sam Roberts was very LOUD, but had intense energy and the crowd was digging them. I will buy the album for sure.

Some guys asked if they could buy a hipbase shirt at the show...Someone right in front of me was entering the setlist into his blackberry, but no mention of being a hipbaser.

Standout for me was 100th Meridian...it was very well done. I enjoyed the mixed up setlist...it kept me on my toes. Dissapointed they didn't play locked, but Lake fever was a good replecement.

Something happened in the crowd in front of Paul that really got the band laughing, but I couldn't make it out. I can't remember what song it was during. Perhaps the beer had something to do with that.

The encores were very fast paced. SKU was perhaps 1/2 the length than the studio cut. Cool upbeat ending. All in all it was a good show, but I don't think it won my "on the fence" friends over.
SoundofaLinger
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great Boston Show - Gordy can't remember lyrics

Post by SoundofaLinger »

Hey all, Just found this site, very cool - I took a ton of pics of the Boston Show and I'll post them shortly and post a link here.

I was at the Boston show last night - great show, great set list. Highlights included Courage, Escape, Twist. Gordy was having a lot of trouble remembering lyrics. I could see Paul raising his eyebrows a couple of times as Gord tried to pull it together.

I was still looking for some more day for night and In Violet Light. Yawning or snarling, daredevil, etc... you all know what I'm talking about.

I still think In Violet Light is their best album since Day for Night. I'll put Throwing off glass up against any Hip Song... that song still sends schivers down my spine ever time I listen to it.

PS. I had the Biggest C**T in front of me with her douche bag boyfriend. This couple actually was getting pissed because people were dancing and bumping them. Then she turned around and started throwing attitude...
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

Don't have too much to say..can't think properly.

Are you ready? That was a shock. New opener, that was a shock. Reading the parking pass on the Hip's bus, then looking up and seeing a couple members looking back at me, that was a shock.

I wish the crowd had stayed about the same size as when Sam was on, but it just didn't happen. The place was packed.

My buddy used up nearly his entire digital camera battery filming "Josephine", so if it comes out good, I'll send some copies out.
bo88
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bo88 »

Great show last night...they were hitting on all cylinders. this is the first time that i've seen them with Nautical Disaster and i was pretty bummed, but playing Everywhere made up for it(i guess). i think i was able to convert my wife into a "hip head", or at least for 1 night she liked em.

Sam Roberts band kicked ass. They were probably the best opening band i've seen since Guns n Roses opened for Aerosmith

Bo
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Locked wrote:Cheers Jeff!
Great to finally meet you.. and backstage no less!
I fully agree with jeff's review.
Songs were crisp / tight but with no jams...

Gords vocals were seemed refreshed compared to some earlier dates..
"Grace" was a near perfect rendition in slot #2, used the "fabuosly rich" tag for a cange..

Great accoustics, you could even hear his rant about the microphone wanting to perfrom on its own..

(Visualize Gord standing to the side of the mike stand as if to say "Go ahead, show me what you got" then he grabbed back and started raving "this is ridiculous!" classic Gordie.

"Twist" was a great surpise (Bobby later told me he forgot how to play the brigde during that one) but I couldn't tell..!

We also got a rare combo of both Bobcageon AND ABAC on the same setlist!

(Bobcaygeon had the starlit background, other than that, there was little of the great light show we saw during the IVL tour.
Very stripped down lights / stage set up.

Of the new songs, I agree Gus and Mean Streak are standouts, Bobby really shines on both...

"The summer is killing us" was also cool, played at almost a frantic pace..

Did anyone else notice the extended jam at the end of ?Music at Work" seems they have beefed up the ending to that one..

I was shocked and awed by Lake fever and Something On since I have been playing both of those songs non-stop in the weeks leading up to this show (spooky)

Nice additions to the setlist.

Johnny beat the hell out of hus drumkit as always, especially on Meridian and Bones..
Onto the backstage meet and greets that Jeff and I were at..
Here's what I learned beyound what Jeff has already mentioned.
- I asked Bobby (who's beardless BTW) if he was trying to extend his solos this tour with the addtion of songs like "Gus". He said he's reluctant to play extended solos , and the only time he extends tham is when Johnny won"t give him "the sign". Seems Johnny and him interact alot by eye contact on transitions from his solos back to the main tempo.

- Gord S. said they were going to add "DareDevil" to the setlist but it
needs more practice. He also told me Akroyd will be at tonights NYC show to play "locked" again with the band!!!

- I asked Bobby about "offical boots / DVD's" ..(I was pretty heavy handed, i must admit). Bobby confirmed once again that the band records all their shows but doesn't intend on releasing all of them. (ARRRRRG!) Even though I pointed out the success of PJ and DMB in the same live bootleg forum. Bobby said, "well this forces people to come out and see us live" (he just doesn't understand)

- He did say the band may pick certain shows from this tour to release as offical boots or put together a "Best of" Live from all the tours.
( he's said this in the past so I don't know how viable that info is)
He did say positively that the band will release a live DVD but have yet to decide what show it will be...

- I spoke to Gord D. about the amazing transformation of "Tiger the Lion" in their past live perfromances vs. the studio version. Gord perked up and said he was gonna talk to Gord S. about getting that back into the setlist but they needed a "drumloop" ???

Like Jeff said, the band is very focussed on rehearsing as many "gems" from the early albums for their Canadian tour because you cannucks are demanding it. Whoever communicated that message to them, they got it!

I didn't see Paul or Johnny but a buddy of mine golfed with Paul and Gord S. down in Plymouth yesterday morning.

PS, I had never heard Sam Roberts before and boy did his pre-set kick ass!!!
Kind of reminded me of a cross between "The Replacements" and "the Black Crows"..
I'm defintely going to buy his album..

PPS: I didn't see any tapers (audio or video)...
Did anyone record this show, please let me know!

Peace,
Scott in Boston :thumb:
Great review! Very interesting. Both you and "jeff topping" painted a great visual. Sounds like you guys had fun.

:thumb:
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

I agree! It felt like I was there with you guys. Thanks.
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

heres another shot for those who havent checked out rest i posted a the henhouse.