2004-09-22 - New York, NY - Webster Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-22 - New York, NY - Webster Hall

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

From thehip.com:

Setlist - Webster Hall, New York City, NY Sept. 22, 2004
Sorry for the wait folks, had connectivity problems. Here it is:

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Silver Jet
Dare Devil
Courage
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
In Bobcaygeon
Goodnight Josephine
100th Meridian
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car*
Fireworks
Meanstreak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus (The Polar Bear From Central Park)
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Scared
Fire Down Below

2nd Encore:
Fully, Completely
Blow At High Dough

* w/ Dan Aykroyd on Harmonica
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Fire Down Below?? I'm thinking they meant "Fire in the Hole", but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps this is another unreleased number we haven't heard yet.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Errg...aside from Daredevil, thats definately a step back.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Dan Ackroyd showed up and played harmonica? Again.

And maybe it is "Fire Down Below" as The Hip pay tribute to Toby Keith who covered that song in the concert linked here: http://forum.hipbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=3962 :lol:
thenuts
New Maybe
New Maybe

set

Post by thenuts »

After seeing some of the recent lists, that seems pretty average. I hope Daredevil stays in the rotation for the DC show. Would love to hear Three Pistols too! I can only wish for fifty-mission cap...
KStegs
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by KStegs »

It was Fire in the Hole...not Fire down below...I am positive
Also...I might be wrong on this (long night after the concert), but I coulda sworn there was some song before Vaccination Scar

100th Meridian was a 100th Meridian on speed...During the jam Gord was moving in slo-mo (kinda ironic)...then was on the ground until bursint into a rap of "if I die of vanity..." part...

Dan Akroyd has some harmonica skills and showed them off...

Gord was fighting with the Mic again...for a while I thought the mic would win...

Very energetic show (aren't they all)...

Sam Roberts Band(?) opened and I was impressed (never heard of them before)
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

is there anymore reviews, or just people commenting on the setlist. There had tp be more hipbasers at the show than one
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

vicariousmartyr wrote:Errg...aside from Daredevil, thats definately a step back.

It's not that bad. Scared and Locked are both in there. They've been rotating the sets a lot more lately, so there's bound to be one or two "average" setlists over the course of the tour.
SteveHebe
New Maybe
New Maybe

New York New York!

Post by SteveHebe »

I was at the show and it was awesome!

The Setlist, was good, but not great. (I would have killed for that Boston set) A mix of old, new and fan favs. I never had Meridian, Locked & Fire all in the same show! I really expected and hoped for more of the new album. (Which I LOVE) Daredevil was a really nice treat. I wish they would put "Good Life..." away for awhile. As usual, the show had a nice flow.

The joint was packed and the crowd was energetic. (Much better than the Irving Plaza crowd last time around) I could not get close at all. How many does that place hold?

Just my $.02, but I thought Gord was less "animated" than in years past. (but I was NOT disappointed by any means!) His rants did not flow like usual and actually trampled over lyrics a couple of times. The rest of the band was tight! These guys are first rate musicians!

Please don't flame me...I am NOT trashing this show. I guess I have finally been to enough shows that I have started comparing them to one another. I had a blast, it was very good to see the boys again. (I've been waiting since JUNE!) I left the show a sweaty, tired mess! I can't wait for Philly!!!

BTW - Sam Roberts Band is KILLER. Best opening band I remember in a long time. If you are going to an upcoming show, go early and don't miss these guys!

I wasn't sure if that was Dan Akroyd or not. The man can play some harp.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The man can play some harp.
:shock: On top of playing the harmonica, he plays the harp as well? I never would have guessed!

(where is that darn *sarcasm* button when you need it...)
justin
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by justin »

great show as always, but the setlist could use work. there hasnt been much variation from the looks of things. I think we could all survive without NOIS, Good Life, Poets, etc for a bit.

my favorites were the hyper-fast ATHM and finally getting to hear Scared. FC always rocks.

God would i love to hear Penguin though...

Great crowd, good energy. Baker looks so weird clean-shaven!
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

good life is one of my favorites and its so good live!
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

Imagine the mind-f**k that comes along when people in the audience randomly hear "well, DAN AKROYDS going to come on and play this next one with us"

probably a collective " what the f**k? where did he come from? who cares! THE HIP ROCK! YES! DID I JUST SHIT MYSELF!?"
briguy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by briguy »

First time seeing them in a small venue, it was killer.
Vaccination Scar was indeed the first song, I know 'cause my buddy and I managed to score Johnny's set list AND his sticks. Sweet!
Setlist was good, but delivery amazing. Daredevil and Scared are two of my least fave, even though it was nice for a change to see DD in there. Too bad nothing from Henhouse or Apples could be squeezed in 'cause of it.
Who suggested having enough of NOIS????? Yikes!
I agree with the Boston set, fantastic, but flew home with photographer and in 60+ shows said that was Gord's crazziest. Meridian absolutely rocked!

Cheers all~

oh yeah, Sam Roberts are smokin'! definately gonna check them out when they hit T.O. next.