2004-09-23 - Syracuse, NY - Landmark Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-23 - Syracuse, NY - Landmark Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Eeek...the worst yet.(Setlist, that is. I wasnt there)

Setlist - Landmark Theatre - Syracuse, NY Sept. 23, 2004
Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Fireworks
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
As Makeshift As We Are
Gift Shop
One Night In Copenhagen
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
100th Meridian
If New Orleans Is Beat
Poets
Meanstreak
Fully, Completely
Nautical Disaster
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus (The Polar Bear From Central Park)
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
Ahead By A Century
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Yeah, that one looks pretty much like the standard "Canadian outdoor festival" setlist we saw all summer long. At least they played Fully and Copenhagen. Here's hoping the set gets a little more adventurous as the tour unfolds.
Wheatking20
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Wheatking20 »

Just got back from the Syracuse show. Like Vicariousmartyr said it was the same setlist as all the other shows of late. The crowd was smaller than I thought it would be. The landmark is a small venue and I thought it would sellout. That wasn't the case. The back of the lower level wasn't even full. That might of been because the show was on a thursday night. Who knows. It's to bad because the sound at the landmark is really good. The crowd chemistry was really good though. No idiots throwing stuff all over the place like in Kingston. The highlight of the night for me was after the show when I got to meet Gordie :mrgreen: He signed my ticket "Josh is blues" It's funny for such a crazy man on the stage he seems to be really down to earth. lol Overall I would give this show a B+. Would of been better if the setlist would have more variety. Hopefully they change it up when I go to Burlington. :thumb:
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

I'ts 4am... I just got home from Syracuse and i'm going to bed. The setlist sucked, but the show was good. Even NOIS had some extra energy tonight so that was kinda cool.. .I'll go into more tomorrow. VERY sleepy.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Although not as adventurous as some of late, I wouldn't go as far as saying it was as boring a setlist as the festival shows. Gift was only played at one festival show, ditto Copenhagen, and NOIB hasn't been played since Canada Day.

By the way, did they actually end with ABAC? This seems quite unusual, as usually it'll be the first song of the encore, not the last... were there time restrictions at the venue or something which meant they couldn't play another song??

Nick

Nick
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Never had time restrictions at the venue before - I think they just decided to end with ABAC.
The crowd was not loud at all last night, but they were rocking.
Yes, a very boring setlist, half the songs did not make anyone move much. Some songs sounded great again , but you can tel the band is not even really into them. They just stood there for three or four new ones like a first time band on stage performing, not moving around, jusy standing in one place going through the motions.
Fireworks, man, come on. Even give me Coconut Cream instead.
Hell of a show from Gordie - riding his motorcycle/microphone bike during Grace - pure sweat.
!00th Rocked - really rocked.
NOIS actually had a break in it like old times - they played the JJ Cale cover (I Belive) "I Can Only Give You Everything" - sounded great, one of my favorite breaks for this song.
"I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I, Can only give you everything, and I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I......"
Ran into Rob before the show when we were leaving Dinosaurs.
He was outside on a picnic bench just eating with his family, tons of people outside talking, but it looked like no one noticed him.
Saw three audio set-ups and two video.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Tthip wrote:The crowd was not loud at all last night...
That may explain why
They just stood there for three or four new ones like a first time band on stage performing, not moving around, just standing in one place going through the motions.
Just a thought.
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
stuckatcuse
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by stuckatcuse »

The 02 syracuse show was much better. The newer songs just didn't have as much energy as the IVL music did in 02. The crowd was small, but dedicated. The band didn't seem excited for any of the IBE songs. Maybe they're just feeling them out. The IBE songs stuck out with their relatively slower, "tinnier" sound, and the fact that as one member said, they played them like novices. I'm banking that the small CP show will be better. I looked back at the setlists for 98, 2000, and 02, and boy they were better. They played more songs in 2000 (28 ) and this year they played only 23. That's the better part of an album worth of music.
NOIS rocked, as well as 100th. If they dropped more of the new stuff off the setlist, it would have been a better show. (can you tell I don't care much for IBE?) I would have loved to hear 50 or train overnight or little bones or boots...
Last edited by stuckatcuse on Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibbytime39
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gibbytime39 »

the setlists was a bummer. nothing really that made you glad you made the trip. i guess cleveland kicked this shows ass. but you know me i cant complain.
ran into tthip {dana} and shannon. nice meeting you shannon. johnny fay stopped by the bar i was draining. nobody seemed to notice except our table. i see a guy doing video from about 4th row right center and he had an awesome unobstructed view. heres hoping that one surfaces someday soon. not a lot of hipbase shirts. i was hoping to meet more hipbasers. maybe chicago or rochester.
overall it was a good show kind of like darien lake. like darien this one doesn't crack the top 10.
rich3677
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rich3677 »

As mentioned before....bummer setlist...show seemed to lack energy. However, 100th best i've seen yet, NOIS actually rocked, Gus was also killer. Worth the trip from Buffalo?......................still thinking.................. yes but, not even close to my top ten. Had to be at work today at 8:30 and had hardcore workload until 11:30, i'm spent.

Highlight of the night......I met Sam Roberts and his band.....really cool guys.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Alright now that i'm awake (at noon :) ), I'll continue my review.

I've never been out of Ottawa before this year to see them, and before this show it was all huge festival shows, so I was hoping for a better non-festival soundign setlist, but was disappointed. The sound in that place however is better than ANY concert I've seen EVER. I could actually HEAR Gord playing on several occasions. I was like "what the hell is that? Oh my god... it's an acoustic guitar! wow!" The sound was so clear! And the Landmark is BEAUTIFUL too. I was amazed. I had good seats, but they turned into bad seats as soon as the show started and everyone from the back came down to the front. I saw about 50% of the show, and 50% of tall guys' heads. And I was in the 7th row!

I think the way the lights were set up was kinda cool too. I liked the lighting during nautical, and I also for some dumb reason liked the single spotlight that shone down from the back.

Highlights for me last night were good life, meridian, nautical and of course NOIB which I had yet to hear live, and it was awesome! MEridian was even more on speed than it was in the summer... pretty exciting!

I met gibbytime39 and philhip37 while I was there and some of their friends. No one else with a Hipbase shirt though... Nice meeting you both though!

Alright I thin that's it. I have some pictures I'll post... the Sam Roberts ones turned out better though because I could actually SEE during his set... I don't know yet if the Hip ones are worth posting. I saw someone up byt he front snapping pics all night.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Oh and I forgot a funny thing too. Gord messed up during Blow, and seamlessly sang into it "I lost my place" and then kept going... that was a little funny. And the song in between NOIS was awesome to hear again.
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

Well, I'll put in my 2 cents...

I think the opposite of some posters here. I thought the band had their groove going on last night. I really enjoy hearing the new songs, and I'm glad they're playing most of them. The lighting show was much better than Boston, and the sound was just about perfect. No, the show wasn't sold out, but it was a weekday. Gord could not have been more animated. He fought with that damn earpiece all night, and eventually had to include it into some songs. He also gave the mic some time to "do it on it's own", so I guess the mic needs him after all. I think there may have been some sort of technical difficulty that led to only 1 song in the second encore. New Orleans had some real life to it. It was as if the band was shocked and just kept playing when Gord went into another song in the middle. Perhaps he's gotten so tired of doing that song that it's time to spice it up once again.

Met Sam Roberts after the Hip show in the hallway. We took a picture with him and his whole band jumped in. He did a heck of a good job considering nobody showed up for his part of the show. We also met him at a cigar lounge down the street after the show.

Gord and his tired bandmates were very willing to sign autograph's and take pictures after the show.

This band just played 3 consecutive shows in 3 cities that are far apart from one another. They must've been beat, but gave it their all. Also, I find the setlists have changed up a bit with different songs each night. Not many other bands would even change the order of their songs, let alone the songs themselves.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good concert.

One more thing..I don't want to offend anybody, but I notice a lot of bad reviews of different Hip concerts, from people who were not there. How can you give any opinion by looking at a setlist from a website? Again, I don't want to insult anybody. Perhaps we expect too much from the band, or we look forward to a show too much and are disappointed. I don't know if I could think of any better entertainment than what I saw last night. It wasn't perfect, but it never will be.
gibbytime39
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gibbytime39 »

Perhaps we expect too much from the band, or we look forward to a show too much and are disappointed. I don't know if I could think of any better entertainment than what I saw last night. It wasn't perfect, but it never will be.
i'd agree with the above statement. personally, i sat front row the last tour at the Landmark and it was one of my best shows. my expectations were real high and after hearing about the cleveland show that increased my anticipation even more. i didn't have a problem with the energy of the band and gord seemed to be having a good time. i was just hoping for at least one song that made you go......"wow!" now i have to download the cleveland show to say "wow!"