2004-09-25 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-25 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
oilfan93
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by oilfan93 »

From thehip.com

Saturday, September 25, 2004
Setlist - 9:30 Club, Washington, DC, Sept. 25, 2004
As Makeshift As We Are
Grace, Too
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Inevitability Of Death
In Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Vaccination Scar
Fighter Figter
100th Meridian
Something On
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus The Polar Bear From Central Park
My Music @ Work

Encore:
Ahead By A Century
Blow At High Dough
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

WOW, Fighter Fighter again.

And how about IOD. I would kill to hear that live.
Sounds like it was a hell of a show!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Guessing the reason that this show was shorter is due to the fact that there was another concert after the Hip right?

Nick
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

INEVITABILITY OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH

MY

THERE

IS

A

GOD!
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

^
IOD was in the regular rotation on the last tour. It's one of my top 5 songs for sure. I was duying to hear it live and finally got to on the 'evening with' tour in Mtl.
efisher99
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by efisher99 »

This was a very solid show, and IOD definitely killed. But it was unfortunate they had to share the venue. Not only was the set itself shorter than other shows on the tour, the pacing was relentless. They crammed in this set in just under 90 minutes. A couple of songs, most notably VS, were cut short. In fairness, Meridian had a full jam and Poets and Nautical were their usual selves. But the whole thing felt a little rushed.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

We made it to Washington D.C. after a 9 hour drive. Part of that drive involved getting lost downtown and driving around for a half an hour. The bonus was we saw The Washington Monument and The White House from a distance. I thought we drove the furthest to see the show, but Shannon W road tripped over 10 hours to get here from Ottawa.

We got in line an hour before showtime at the 9:30 Club. A group of Hipbasers met and stood in line together. There was Shannon W with her friend Nathalie, who picked up thehip11 (Jamie) in Ontario and drove here. Kari was there too with her friend Breanne. They made it from Buffalo.

We all stood together, 3rd row in front of Gord D. The rumors are true. The Hip/Gord D. do not like the A/C on while performing. I think he feels the cold air affects his voice. Plus, he likes to sweat and get into his performance. Anyways, it was very hot inside the club. Anyone who's been to a Hip show with me knows I love to dance, jump around and sing with Gord. I was almost as sweaty as Gord at the end of the show.

Here's what caught my attention last night. The show was a little shorter due to the time constraints placed on The Hip by the 9:30 Club. There was only one encore. A popular electronica DJ was playing at 11pm that night. During Grace, Too Gord continued his mikestand rant. Big energy from the band on this one. The Hip played one of my all time favorites, Inevitability of Death. Johnny Fay and Gord S. laid down a thunderous beat on IOD. I also enjoyed Nautical Disaster. The whole club was sining along with Gord as he acted out and paddled the stage.

I was able to hear Fighter, Fighter live for the second time. I've been listening to the Cleveland 'boot' of that song. The first time I heard it live it was a suprise. Now that I know the music and some of the lyrics, I can critique it a little. The Hip play it live with a lot of jump and energy. They all got into playing a new song for us. Gord's lyrics and his voice inflection are what hooks me. Especially the way he does the chorus. Gord was joking around on the intro to this song but he said, " This is Fighter, Fighter. A song about a firefighter who fights fires". It doesn't make sense with the lyrics, but he was just goofing off.

We got to hear Something On which was very good. As I mentioned earlier, it was very hot inside. Gord was having trouble with his ear plugs all night. They were popping out of his ears often and the right side of the plugs was not working or getting plugged up from Gord sweating. For the last song Blow, Gord had had enough with the ear plugs and took them off during the musical intro. Not used to singing this way, Gord let the crowd sing the first verse.

Once again I feel very fortunate. Johnny and Paul coordinated together and got backstage passes for Carolyn and I. We spoke with all the guys. They have been so friendly and kind to us that I can't begin to thank them enough. I know this tour will be a memory I shall carry forever. On to Philadelphia!
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

It was a short set, but they made up for it by putting on the BEST SHOW OF ALL TIME. EVER!

Jamie was actually the one who drove furthest.. He came fro Toronto to Ottawa to pick up Nathalie and I, and then he drove for another four hours THAT night. We slept just outside of Syracuse and then went all the way to DC the next day! HARDCORE!

The show was UNBELIEVABLE. The setlist was amazing, the energy the band had was amazing, and the crowd was SO good. I've never seen a crowd ALL as into it as they were. No puching, no body surfing, and when Gord went into a meridian rant EVERYONE shut up and listened. It was crazy!

The show went quickly, but I liked the fast pace. We were all still freaking about Fighter Fighter when meridian was on and then they break into Something On... it was great!

We're at our hotel right now. We got in at 4:30 am and didn't sleep for MOST of the night because we were too excited!!

If tonight is anything like last night... I may just die. WELL worth the 75 million hour drive!
nathalie75
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by nathalie75 »

MOST INTENSE ROAD TRIP OF ALL TIME! Best part...IT'S NOT OVER!!
Friday night, shannon and Jamie who's been driving this whole trip,we left Ottawa around 9ish (Jamie drove from Toronto to pick us up) got to some hotel on the side of the Interstate around 2am..just past Syracuse NY. As we crossed the border, the customs guy was like, "Are you Tragically Hip, sir?" SO funny.... oh yah, we also picked up 3 12's of Keiths at the duty free shop! WOOT!
Anyways, woke up around 9, left at 10:15am and DROVE ALL DAY...we got in to Washington DC at about 5pm. Seriously, that's like 11 and a half hours...LONG.
Saw The Hip..THEY were SO AWESOME...i think i'll be developping an obsession like shannon...for real. After the show, i grabbed a set list and Johnny's drum stick!
Waited by the tour bus and met Sam Roberts, got his autograph. He's SUPER short but SUPER hot. AHHAHA! Went to the Hip's tour bus and waited as each and ever one of them came out! We got ALL their autographs (i gave shannon the set list as a birthday present and she got them all to sign it...Johnny even proclaimed that it was his, he seemed pleased by this), and PICTURES with ALL of them!! It was super awesome...Gord Downie RULES!
So we waited till 1am when Gord Downie FINALLY game out of the club (he was watching the DJ Cheesehead or whoever) and THEN we had to drive 2 MORE HOURS (but not before stopping at a Denny's for some mid-morning nourishment at the BUSIEST breakplace EVER!...so it's now 5am...and i can't remember what day it is, but we haven't slept (well, i did in the car) and i'm enjoying one of Canada's FINEST, an Alexander Keiths and some Ranch doritos.
This guy Jamie has done ALL the driving...i keep offering, but i think he likes his car too much, though he did tell me i might get to drive on Monday because he's driving us BACK to Ottawa, only to return immediately to Toronto....he's real swell, i tell ya.
Seriously, Gord Downie is so cool. You feel so energized from his performance..
Oh yah, and Sam Roberts TOTALLY blew my mind. He gives a really STELLAR live performance. He's really in it for the rock! So amusing.

THE END.
FOR NOW.
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

Hi all,

Great show - also the 9:30 was a great place to see a show. The place was packed.

The show did seem a little rushed, but it was great. IOD rocked, cool to hear Fighter, Fighter as well. Gord said the song was about Fighters who fight other fighters...

Wish they could have squeezed in a few more tunes. However, the energy of the show so high. Kind of a bummer that they did not come out one more time for another tune.

The wife and I took a few pics, posted here:

http://thehundredthmeridian.com/930/

We were up in the balcony on Bobby's side.

Really liked Sam in Syracuse - and they put on another good (and quick) show at the 9:30. I'll be picking up their CD this week.

Great show!

- Jerremy
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

This show was phenomenal. It’s been written above, so I won’t repeat. The setlist was cut short, but only because of DJ Krush. I’ve been to a number of small venues, but this was the HOTTEST club in the history of mankind to stand in. Must have been 120 degrees in there.

It was fabulous to meet and hang out with some great fellow hipbasers – so nice to meet Jamie, Shannon, Natalie, Hugh, Mike and Brian. (P.S. – Brian, please give a message to your wife for me…she and I were talking endlessly about pregnancy, and I was bragging about how I don’t have morning sickness…HA…it kicked in on Sunday. I spoke to soon and apparently jinxed myself).

Saw all the guys after the show, but I was so bloody exhauster that I got them to just sign a couple things, said a few words, took some pictures, and I practically fell asleep on the sidewalk outside the (scary) club. Honestly, the venue isn’t in the best part of town. Breanne and I made the mistake of WALKING there from our hotel in Dupont Circle (just over a mile away), and we feared for our well-being for a few LONG blocks.

Gord Sinclair tried to talk me into going inside the club to catch DJ Krush, boasting of his talent, etc. I told him I was too old for that, perhaps it would be something my 15-year-old stepson would like. But he insisted it was fabulous. However, I still declined. Gord D watched almost the entire show by this DJ, hence why he came out after 1am!! We waited three hours to speak to him. I’d call that one of two things – either dedication, or pure stupidity!! :)

Rob was very sweet, as usual, asking where we came in from, and how we liked DC. He mentioned to me that quite a few people were here from Buffalo. Kudos to us Buffalonians!!

It was a fab show. I’ll post a link for the pictures later today. Morning sickness calls, I must go to sleep soon!
Last edited by kari on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

jerremy wrote:The wife and I took a few pics, posted here:

http://thehundredthmeridian.com/930/

- Jerremy
Cool pics, Jerremy. Thanks for sharing. Nothing like a bird's eye view! I also dig the "tunnel" shots...must be the transit system?

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Jerremy - is that you and your wife in the one pic?
I think you were sitting exactly in front of me and my wife in Syracuse - I was right next to Mark who was video taping.
Kinda nice your wife was short (Like me)- Mark could shoot right over her with no problem.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

I've added my DC pix to our group's general Yahoo Photos album. In case you dont remember, use this link:

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.sr ... yahoo.com/

with these name + passwords

Yahoo id: hippics2004
Password: tragically

I saved them under a folder called DC Pix Kari